Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good idea to switch to all one style?

Hey all,

as my collection expands and gets ever more random, I'm starting to think It might be wise to pare down and stick to a few basics.
    I already do that with only 9mm, 45, 223, and 12 gauge ammo. What I'm thinking now is to sell of and trade existing 9mm and random stuff and shoot only 1911s. I shoot a number of competitions (steel, ipsc, IDPA, 3 gun) but all seem to have 1911 categories. plus something about having almost all the parts and mags interchange seems like a good idea.

has anybody done this or have any ideas? (I wouldn't go to the extreme, I'd keep my walther p99 9mm as a range toy and since it was my first).

Steviesterno

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Good idea to switch to all one style?

Repeat after me:
    " I . . can . . never . . have . . too . . many . . guns."

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Repeat after me:
    " I . . can . . never . . have . . too . . many . . guns."

Flash
    What he said

There is a lot to be said about familiarity with a platform. What you do depends on your personal interests. Are you just interested in shooting one style of gun, or do you consider yourself a collector?

I see no problem with having a lot of different types of firearms in the safe. Just be sure to fire your defensive choice enough to be proficient with it.

(Bucks County)

For me that would be boring although I have a couple of duplicates CZ75 B stainless and anniversary model blue also 3 Yugo AK one is an RPK, all the rest are different I like variety.

Noble and regal, focused watchful Piercing eyes, he is my shepherd and my best friend.

I've been interested in 3 gun for a while now. Saw "3 Gun Nation" by FNH USA on TV and was really interested. I know Springfield Armory and Nighthawk Custom both have high capacity 9mm options. So I'd bail on that 45 unless you are really attached to it.

In my opinion, you would be hard put to it to find a better competition gun than a high capacity 9mm 1911 long slide. I'd love to have that Nighthawk custom 9mm longslide with the FLX upgrade and fine fiber front sight. I can't justify $3000 on a pistol though. Thats high end assault rifle money.

I'd probably end up using an FNX9 because you have the same cocked and locked capability as a 1911 and it holds 17+1. Not to mention the fact that when you buy a new one for $550 you get the case, holster, double mag pouch, 3 mags, and interchangable backstraps.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Lancaster County)

I'm kind of working toward that end myself. I have my favorite platforms and have multiples of those guns. The SKS, M44, AK-74 and Makarov. I'm working to do the same with the Glock 17. These are kind of my SHTF favorites. This way I have parts interchangeability, particularly for magazines, holsters etc.

My thought is that if one day things change and we don't have such easy access to these kinds of guns I'll always have what I need.

I still have a couple of oddballs, a Beretta M9 and a PSL. The PSL certainly has it's own purpose and shoots the same ammo as the M44's. The M9 is just a damn sexy gun. Honestly, I like shooting the Glock better, and the realist in me knows I ought to trade it off for one, but I'm just not ready to part with it yet.

I still have some variety in the collection though. Each AK-74 is a little different. The SKS's there's Russian and Yugo. An M44 is an M44, not much variety there. The Maks are kind of the same way, but I do have one of the so-called "Black Sea Navy" Maks that were chromed for the Navy. That ones pretty cool and lets me be a little bit of a collector.

(Monroe County)

Wow, man the boredom would kill me in no time.
    I place as much emphasis on my Half rusted Iver Johnson .32 revolver made in the 1930's as i do my Top of the line Sigs or Colts, i like them all , they are all interesting and all have a different personality.

Lighten up dude and enjoy life, life is too short have some fun with your guns, dont be so anal.

Nyman

(Allegheny County)

As they say, Beware the man with only one gun...

There are a variety of reasons any of us choose to do what we do.
    Myself, I've kept any/all defensive handguns to the DAO variety. In a stressful situation, I can't imagine the terror of pressing the trigger, and having nothing happen because the safety is still "on".

I don't trust my brain to instinctively recognize that "this" gun has a safety that must be deactivated, as opposed to all the other ones that I've shot for years that have NO safety.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Perry County)

Variety is the spice of life.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast