Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Need Help! LTCF..

I went to the local gun shop they did the PICS, Everything was fine. Walked out with my pistol. Went to the sheriff office "Columbia county PA" applied for my LTCF. I was denied. The only thing thats on my history is a simple possession "misdemeanor" charge when i was 19. I do realize thats enough for me to be denied. I'm 29 now I was told after 7 years they couldn't hold that against me. Is that True? Can anybody provide information on how i could get that charge expunged or have i reached my end. Thank you!

Default Re: Need Help! LTCF..

You'll have to wait till more knowledgable people can assist you but for now you can keep some hope. It can be done but it isn't usually an easy process.

This is one of the things that really bothers a lot of us. Something minor, done as a kid, no trouble since.....and they take away your right. You do have the option however to OC (open carry). I.E. wear a gun openly on your person. Can't do it in a car without a LTCF and it's going to get some attention with the potential the attention is negative. Before considering this option study up on it. There is a large amount of information on this site available to you. I wish you the best of luck in your quest. Keep us informed.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Jefferson County)

ANY drug violation will prohibit you from acquiring a LTCF. You may still buy and possess a gun with the lessor convictions, but any will prohibit you from getting a license to carry.

If you were convicted, the only recourses you have are to move to another state, or get a pardon then get an expungement.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by germfreesonyman View Post
    I went to the local gun shop they did the PICS, Everything was fine. Walked out with my pistol. Went to the sheriff office "Columbia county PA" applied for my LTCF. I was denied. The only thing thats on my history is a simple possession "misdemeanor" charge when i was 19. I do realize thats enough for me to be denied. I'm 29 now I was told after 7 years they couldn't hold that against me. Is that True? Can anybody provide information on how i could get that charge expunged or have i reached my end. Thank you!
    Can you post the denial notice you received, or tell us the specific reason for the denial? Based on the info you posted, it would seem the denial is for legaly valid reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Just about everyone knows that "felons can't have guns", but don't realize that many non-felons are disqualified from licensing or ownership too. The points below are not all-inclusive, but rather reflect what seems to be the most common disqualifying offenses.

Disqualifying offenses for Pa. LTCF
    *Any conviction under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act, regardless of sentence (per 18 PACS §6109(e)(1)(ii).
    *Any conviction on a Misdemeanor 1 or higher (per §6109(e)(1)(viii), unless such disability has been waived or pardoned (per 18 PACS §6123). The noted statute prohibits licensing of anyone convicted of a charge that is "punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year." §61O2 further clarifies that this does not include "State offenses classified as misdemeanors and punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed two years."
    I'm less familiar with the expungement process, so I'll let someone else chime in on that. I'm not aware of any circumstance where any conviction is automatically removed from your record after some specified period of time.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    You'll have to wait till more knowledgable people can assist you but for now you can keep some hope. It can be done but it isn't usually an easy process.

This is one of the things that really bothers a lot of us. Something minor, done as a kid, no trouble since.....and they take away your right. You do have the option however to OC (open carry). I.E. wear a gun openly on your person. Can't do it in a car without a LTCF and it's going to get some attention with the potential the attention is negative. Before considering this option study up on it. There is a large amount of information on this site available to you. I wish you the best of luck in your quest. Keep us informed.
    Just remember, you also can't transport your handgun by car at all. Not even unloaded and locked in the trunk. Only to and from range, gunsmith, and other exempted locations.

(Columbia County)

They did not tell me the reason of the denial at the sheriffs office. They said i would have to fill out a challenge form send it in then they would send back the reason. The only reason is the simple possession charge. I contacted a attorney for the pardon then to get an expungement. They said i would take up to 2 years and cost $5,000. I am now looking at taking this task on by-myself.

(Philadelphia County)

Pennsylvania only permits the expungment of arrest history in which there a not guilty, dismissal prior to adjutication and I believe conviction after the individual has reached the age of 75.

you would have to seek a pardon from the govenor or a presidental pardon.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    Pennsylvania only permits the expungment of arrest history in which there a not guilty, dismissal prior to adjutication and I believe conviction after the individual has reached the age of 75.

you would have to seek a pardon from the govenor or a presidental pardon.
    PA also allows expungement after a pardon. The pardon will clear you of your past offense, but you will need the expungement to strike the records from your history.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Commonwealth offence will require a pardon from the govenor.

The procees is not simple or quick or easy. If you want to go do this on your own (pro se) you can.

Google the PA board of Pardons site and you should find the forms there needed and instructions on how to submit them.

If you have ANY friends in politics now would be the time to go to them or get to know them

Line up your references, and show the Pardon Board how you have changed your life from the time of the offence until today. The more references, the better your chances.

Also when you submit your application, submit a photo, if you have family now put them in the photo. Attach to the photo a breif life history, and admit to the offence and show in this how and why you have changed your life.

Once you have the pardon granted, you may then apply to the courts for an expungement of your Commonwealth conviction, but be aware even with a pardon the FBI will NOT expunge your fingerprint card. So a record there will still exist.

Ditto on a presidential pardon.

good luck on your process.
    gotta love her ;)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by germfreesonyman View Post
    They did not tell me the reason of the denial at the sheriffs office. They said i would have to fill out a challenge form send it in then they would send back the reason. The only reason is the simple possession charge. I contacted a attorney for the pardon then to get an expungement. They said i would take up to 2 years and cost $5,000. I am now looking at taking this task on by-myself.
    Now that doesn't sound like the correct order of things. I thought they were supposed to supply the appeal form ALONG WITH the reason for denial???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast