Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default kel tec pf9 vs taurus 709 slim

Thinking of picking up a cheap single stack 9 for summer carry or deep concealment situations where even the subcompact g26 may be too thick. I'm thinking of these two choices and reviews on here have been kind of mixed for both. So which one and why, pros and cons of both, what do you think? I'm not interested in .380 thanks!
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(York County)

Default Re: kel tec pf9 vs taurus 709 slim

I just went though this myself and looked at and reseached all the thin single stack 9's. I know you did not ask about it but... I am going to recommened you also include the Kahr CW 9 in your choices, If you go look at these compaired to the others I think you will see and feel the quality of the Kahr. It is a little bit more $ but I think much better quality. As you said yourself there have been "mixed reviews" on the PF9 + 709.
    I have a G26 also and think my new CW 9 will be a nice option at times that the G26 is too thick. I also have more pride of ownership and confidence in it's reliabilty then the two that you ask about.
    Just My 2 cents, Good luck!
    Last edited by Beardog; October 8th, 2010 at 12:56 PM.

I went with the 709 Slim for myself. I am very happy with my choice. It is a great shooter. It is easy to strip and clean.

Really question all the safety aspects of the Keltec before you buy one. Its been a few months, but there was something that really turned me off of Kel-tec completely. If I am not mistaken, it had something to due with the safety.

(Philadelphia County)

I was interested in both models and saw that the Taurus seemed to be a better made and slightly beefier pistol, which may assist in control over the PF-9. I've shot the 709 and was impressed by the trigger and handling even with my large hands. It would be nice to not have a manual safety on the Taurus. You should be served well by either.

I looked at both and went with the PF-9. It's smaller and thinner and disappears in a pocket or IWB holster. As for reliability, I don't carry what I don't shoot and I've put close to or a little more than a thousand rounds through my PF-9 without any problems.

Like all lightweight pistols, out of the box it's not the most pleasant thing to shoot, especially with heavier loads, but there are a couple of things you can do to improve your shooting experience. First, a Hogue Handall Jr, turned upside down goes a long way to adding a little recoil management. Also, I put shrink tape on the trigger. This adds cushioning and eliminated trigger slap. I also added a trigger stop (made from a pencil eraser) to shorten the reset.

All of the above cost me $10 total and an hour of my time and for me it made what was already good, great.

I don't like Taurus that much, havent had good experiences. So I would say go with Kel-tec. Also look into Kahr as mentioned by others, they have very good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
    I just went though this myself and looked at and reseached all the thin single stack 9's. I know you did not ask about it but... I am going to recommened you also include the Kahr CW 9 in your choices, If you go look at these compaired to the others I think you will see and feel the quality of the Kahr. It is a little bit more $ but I think much better quality. As you said yourself there have been "mixed reviews" on the PF9 + 709.
    I have a G26 also and think my new CW 9 will be a nice option at times that the G26 is too thick. I also have more pride of ownership and confidence in it's reliabilty then the two that you ask about.
    Just My 2 cents, Good luck!
    you have cw9 confused with pm9??? cw9 is cheap. multiple on gunbroker for approx 300 and change, new.

My opinion on Taurus is not a favorable one. I have owned 2, a Pt145 and PT1911, the 1911 was not a bad gun at all pretty nice for what you pay for them but it's a Taurus and I just couldn't bring myself to keep it and besides I got an HK USP for it. The PT145 while it felt great when I held it and it had 10+1 of .45ACP in a gun the size of a G26, it was a total POS! within the first mag there was metal being shaved off the slide and dumped into the gun I F-ing hated it-SOLD!
    The only Kel-Tec I own is my girlfriends P-32 and while it's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen and totally rough around the edges with a finish like a cinder block it fires every time, feeds everything and cost a grand total of $230. I have almost bought the PF-9 twice and both times I waited too long and someone else bought it, so I just got a job at the LGS near me the first one that comes in there is MINE! Please no matter what anyone says about Taurus they're shit don't waste your money on it even though the PT709 is pretty nice; maybe if Kel-Tec starts making a PT709 I'll buy one.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    you have cw9 confused with pm9??? cw9 is cheap. multiple on gunbroker for approx 300 and change, new.
    No confusion on my part....CW9=$400ish - 709=$350ish - PF9=$250ish

(Lancaster County)

Thats like saying "whats better, a piece of crap or a turd"? That said I will admit to having some pieces of crap and turd guns pass through my collection over the years so I know where you're coming from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast