Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Angry Heard at the PGC range this evening

This afternoon/evening I made my usual visit to the local PGC range and of course had the misfortune of encountering the whiny old bastard that cuts the grass.

Anyway, we make small talk as I'm getting my stuff out of the car. He asks me which range I'm shooting at (25yds) because he wants to do some work on one, then asks if I'm shooting a muzzleloader or .22 (I was practicing with my AR for an upcoming 3-gun match). I explain that I would like to practice for my upcoming match and he just can't seem to understand why I'd shoot a semi-auto 5.56 at 25yds and of course makes sure I know the 3 round rule.

He then goes on to tell me that people like me are what is going to cause some big changes in the near future. Of course I'm thinking that this has to do with my evil black rifle. So I question what exactly he means by that. He goes on to explain something about the Game Commission considering make it a new rule that you have to have a valid PA hunting license to use their ranges. Of course I just roll my eyes and don't take a word of it seriously.

And of course the rest of the time I was at the range the guy would pop out of the bush to make sure I wasn't loading more than 3 rounds. (I had about 12 mags with me, so I'm sure it seemed like I wasn't)
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Heard at the PGC range this evening

What he's saying is true. The PGC is attempting to prohibit people from using the range unless they have a valid PA hunting license. Your only other option is to buy a "range permit".
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Once again why have a range where you can't load as much as you would 500yds away in the woods.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    What he's saying is true. The PGC is attempting to prohibit people from using the range unless they have a valid PA hunting license. Your only other option is to buy a "range permit".

I don't have a problem with them limiting the range to license holders.
    Jules

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I don't have a problem with them limiting the range to license holders.
    Jules
    It would grow to be a pain if you ever want to take a group of new shooters to the range. I doubt they are all going to want to shell out to purchase a hunting license to go to the range one time.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post
    It would grow to be a pain if you ever want to take a group of new shooters to the range. I doubt they are all going to want to shell out to purchase a hunting license to go to the range one time.
    The FREE PGC ranges are maintained to allow people who hunt the opportunity to sight in rifles and pistols. For years they have been used as free shooting ranges by everyone. (me included at times, although I have always had a hunting license) I am unaware at how money is allocated to provide backstops, gravel, benches etc... at the ranges so I can't say that they are funded only with license sales. If that is the case, then I rest my case. Join a club and you won't be harrassed by the crotchety old grass mower or the three round rule.
    Jules

Thought everybody knew this. The measure was passed, now they are trying to figure out how to enforce it. Makes sense, as the ranges are mostly maintained via funds from Hunting Licenses. Wont cost you anything if you have a valid hunting license, and it'll cost you some if you dont. And you can bring one guest either way. Doesnt matter to me as Ive joined a private rifle/pistol club.

Here's a link to the PGC announcement:
    PGC Range Ruling
    Last edited by spacemanvic; October 7th, 2010 at 11:24 PM.

(Bucks County)

Cool Re: Heard at the PGC range this evening

While that is true, you might want to look up who EXACTLY paid for: the land aquisition, design, construction, and maintenance of the facilities. Wait, I did it for you.

The hunters, that's who. I cannot remember, in the last 15 years, being able to go to a Pennsylvania Game Commission Range and NOT find it populated with slobs from NJ, NY, or just plain old Philly street trash.

I have paid for a hunting license in this state every year for the past 36 years. I think I have paid for the right to shoot there without having to wait for a bunch of gang-banger wannabees to finish trying to kill each other and everybody else.
    Sure, there needs to be a caveat for bring a (singular, one) new shooter to introduce them to the shooting aspect of the hunting sport. Again, it all goes back to WHO paid for it!

Well, just tell 'em to consider it one of life's first lessons: Nuttin's free!

Now if we could just get Washington to learn that....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast