Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking For Basic Rifle/Basic Shotgun Training in Pittsburgh Area

I'm having trouble finding a Basic Rifle and/or Basic Shotgun course in the Pittsburgh area where firearms are provided or available for rent. My family doesn't not own any firearms, and would like to take a course and try them out before making any decisions. Any help is very much appreciated.

Default Re: Looking For Basic Rifle/Basic Shotgun Training in Pittsburgh Area

Well your lucky your from pgh, the F.I.R.E institute offers many great courses right here in the city. Their link is: http://www.fireinstitute.org/

As for renting firearms I'm not sure how they would work that so I will not speculate one way or another. One thing I can suggest is come to the group shoot on the 11th, and you'll get to shoot more guns than you'll beable to remember! That way you can atleast get your own firearm, even if you stick it in the closet locked up until you get training its still 150% better to train with the firearm you plan on using.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shoots-ra...-november.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Well your lucky your from pgh, the F.I.R.E institute offers many great courses right here in the city. Their link is: http://www.fireinstitute.org/

As for renting firearms I'm not sure how they would work that so I will not speculate one way or another. One thing I can suggest is come to the group shoot on the 11th, and you'll get to shoot more guns than you'll beable to remember! That way you can atleast get your own firearm, even if you stick it in the closet locked up until you get training its still 150% better to train with the firearm you plan on using.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shoots-ra...-november.html
    I second what XD said. Come to the Group Shoot. Follow his link to the information. Do not worry about the number of pages. All of the important information is in the top posting of the page.

I know. You will think. But I don't have any guns and know little or nothing about them. Then, yes my friend this is the place for you. We will have many guns there and some of the friendliest and knowledgable people around. We have had more than a couple people come out who had never shot before and after their first trip, they can hardly wait for the next month's get together.

(Allegheny County)

I'm afraid I already have plans, and I also have church around that time anyway, otherwise I would probable take you up on the offer.

Thanks a lot for the link, XD, but I can't seem to find any either of the classes I'm looking for mentioned on their website; am I looking in the wrong place?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I'm having trouble finding a Basic Rifle and/or Basic Shotgun course in the Pittsburgh area where firearms are provided or available for rent. My family doesn't not own any firearms, and would like to take a course and try them out before making any decisions. Any help is very much appreciated.
    We do try to make available some of our personal firearms and accessories to students but only in our "one day handgun" class. We don't "rent" firearms for use in our courses and I'm unaware of any other schools or instructors who do. Some of the larger schools have "loaners" available for use if a students personally owned weapon goes down.

are you looking to get tactical training, or are you looking to just learn how to function a weapon, and that sort of thing?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    We do try to make available some of our personal firearms and accessories to students but only in our "one day handgun" class. We don't "rent" firearms for use in our courses and I'm unaware of any other schools or instructors who do. Some of the larger schools have "loaners" available for use if a students personally owned weapon goes down.
    I've seen the websites of several firing ranges that rent guns, so I thought it'd be viable for a school to provide a similar service.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    are you looking to get tactical training, or are you looking to just learn how to function a weapon, and that sort of thing?
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by tactical, but I'm thinking an absolute beginner's course.
    Last edited by Grace; November 8th, 2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: To add reply

(Erie County)

I've seen the websites of several firing ranges that rent guns, so I thought it'd be viable for a school to provide a similar service.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by tactical, but I'm thinking an absolute beginner's course.
    The only place I've ever seen loand guns for a tactics class is when it involves full-auto guns, since most people don't own them. I know Blackwater provides you with a gun if it's a full-auto class, as does Sigarms I believe.

Like this
    Last edited by KeithPA; November 8th, 2007 at 06:06 PM.

(Allegheny County)

For a first steps course in shotgun. contact Bill Chessman at
    chess202@comcast.net

He is in charge of education at PMSC. He recently mentioned having first steps pistol classes and even the shotgun and/or rifle classes if there was any interest.

(Allegheny County)

It sounds like going to one of the group shoots is the best option at the moment; are they around the same time every month? If so, we'll probably be able to make it to the December group shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast