Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default What would you do Dan Wesson 15-2 VS Ruger Blackhawk

Ok here is my dilemma....Back on Sept 11th I went into a gun store just down the road. I was looking for a /357 magnum for a trail/woods/hunting/fishing/range gun(this isnt a self defense piece in other words)

Gun#1 the Dan Wesson(and the problem):

I found a nice Dan Wesson 15-2 its the gun ONLY no box not even the barrel wrench..I talked them down from $295 to $270..Went to pay and the guy says..well the business is changing ownership and I cant sell it to you right now..we have to wait for the FFL for the new owner to come back/clear or what ever happens when you get a FFL..he said it should be done by October 1st. I said ok...ive been patiently waiting..On Sept 30th I call and say..have that ready for pickup in the morning(I work 3rd shift and wanted to pick it up on my way home on the 1st) guy says...license STILL isnt back it will be at least another 2 weeks...Im on vacation this week so I figured id call again to check they tell me at least another 2 weeks..Now im in Limbo on this gun luckily I have no $$ wrapped up in it yet as they just set it back for me till everything cleared..and the business isnt out anything either cause even if it was in the case they could not sell it anyways...

In the meantime

Gun #2 I saw this week Ruger Blackhawk .357 4 5/8" barrel blued:

Just figured id check out all the shops locally this week while I was on vacation..I go to another local shop and find 2 Ruger Blackhawks .357 and 4 5/8 barrels blued in about the same condition as the Dan Wesson id call it 90-95%. Both were in same shape used but very nice no real bluing wear and no dings or big noticeable scratches or anything..these came with the boxes. They were asking $300 even

At this point what would you do? Sit and wait for a unknown time for the Dan Wesson...or just go get the Ruger Blackhawk? What would you guys do? I dont have a big preference myself for SA or DA/SA. I like both guns. I just have no idea when the guy will get this dang FFL krap straightened out..could be 2 weeks could be 2 months... how long would you be willing to wait??

Been looking for a nice priced .357 for a while($300 or less) finally find one and I cant even buy it lol..just my luck
    well let me know what you think

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What would you do Dan Wesson 15-2 VS Ruger Blackhawk

You posted about the Dan before.
    Wait for it.

Mine fitted all the uses on your list.
    I would not take any other .357 and $$ for it.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

Barrel wrenches are available from CZUSA as well as other sources.

http://heffronfirearmclassics.com/DA...ENCHBYHFC.aspx

Remember, Google is your friend.

(Butler County)

Wait for the Dan Wesson. You may be able to pick up different barrels and grips later for it. Cry and moan about the wait. See if they'll come down on the price some more. $250 out the door. It's worth a try.

(Allegheny County)

I agree: wait for the DW. That's a great price for a great gun.

(Montgomery County)

Get the Dan Wesson. i just got one and they are nice. Or you can tell me where it is and I can go pick it up

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Barrel wrenches are available from CZUSA as well as other sources.

http://heffronfirearmclassics.com/DA...ENCHBYHFC.aspx

Remember, Google is your friend.
    yeah I know the wrenches are available from multiple sources for around $30.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by rsftw View Post
    Get the Dan Wesson. i just got one and they are nice. Or you can tell me where it is and I can go pick it up
    bad part is no one can pick it up..thats the problem lol..they keep playing games...2 more weeks, 2 more weeks.. lol....its gonna be December and they will be saying 2 more weeks ....I was hoping id hear different im not a patient person...by the time I get the damn thing it will be snowing oh well I figured that would be the consensus though so no surprise. I just hate waiting..I have bad luck...here is what I predict will happen(being honest and considering my luck in this deal)...they will either not get the FFL and go out of business and I wont get the gun...they will get the FFL but forget or misplace the law away sticker/slip and sell it...and then when I go back to check on the Rugers both will be gone lol..thats why I hate waiting for stuff ...but I will wait and hope for the best and expect the worst lol/
    Last edited by CBennett; October 6th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.

No chance of getting the Ruger AND getting the Dan Wesson later? I don't think you can ever have too many pistols can you The Dan Wesson is a better pistol and the price is great, but the Ruger is a good solid pistol (and it is available). I would ask for more money off the Ruger, though. $200-$225 is more like it. I have several of them and they are pretty good for the money. Mine are accurate and I have never had a problem with them. I have several "nicer" .357 revolvers also, but the Ruger is the one I take for plinking or hunting, and I don't feel bad if it gets a ding or some of the blueing gets worn off.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    yeah I know the wrenches are available from multiple sources for around $30.
    I feel so old. I remember when they were $5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast