Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: What would you do Dan Wesson 15-2 VS Ruger Blackhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Camasco View Post
    No chance of getting the Ruger AND getting the Dan Wesson later? I don't think you can ever have too many pistols can you The Dan Wesson is a better pistol and the price is great, but the Ruger is a good solid pistol (and it is available). I would ask for more money off the Ruger, though. $200-$225 is more like it. I have several of them and they are pretty good for the money. Mine are accurate and I have never had a problem with them. I have several "nicer" .357 revolvers also, but the Ruger is the one I take for plinking or hunting, and I don't feel bad if it gets a ding or some of the blueing gets worn off.
    Thats how I am and how I use all my pistols..I dont collect..when I buy something I intend to actually use it..I dont purposely trash it but if it gets dinged so be it..I would be carrying the Wesson or Ruger both as a hiking/trail/fishing/field type gun. The Ruger is as low as it will go(I already asked) and the lowest id ever seen one for sale around here normally they are $325-350. And no, no chance of both on a $300 budget.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    I feel so old. I remember when they were $5.
    I dont really "need" one at this point I guess for anything but making sure the gap was set right as extra barrels IF I ever get any would be another year down the road....and honestly are not high on the list of must haves . But it IS a cool option to have.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Camasco View Post
    No chance of getting the Ruger AND getting the Dan Wesson later? I don't think you can ever have too many pistols can you The Dan Wesson is a better pistol and the price is great, but the Ruger is a good solid pistol (and it is available). I would ask for more money off the Ruger, though. $200-$225 is more like it. I have several of them and they are pretty good for the money. Mine are accurate and I have never had a problem with them. I have several "nicer" .357 revolvers also, but the Ruger is the one I take for plinking or hunting, and I don't feel bad if it gets a ding or some of the blueing gets worn off.
    Seriously, consider this option. By the time the shop figured it out, you should be able to save enough for the DW. $600 for 2 solid 357 revolvers is a steal! If your wife asked, tell her the Blackhawk costs $600, but the seller was nice enough to let you pay the difference when you have it. When she sees you with the DW, tell her that it was free

Al

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Seriously, consider this option. By the time the shop figured it out, you should be able to save enough for the DW. $600 for 2 solid 357 revolvers is a steal! If your wife asked, tell her the Blackhawk costs $600, but the seller was nice enough to let you pay the difference when you have it. When she sees you with the DW, tell her that it was free

Al
    there is no saving to it so it cant happen there is no saving for my gun budget I get $400 a year,,I spent that this year on a AK74 back in June...I talked her into getting a revolver for my anniversary present we agreed to a $300 budget for both of us..she got some jewelry and a fancy jewelry box and some kind of fancy sandals(Birkenstock or some krap) I was looking for and found a Revolver in that price range...There is nothing to 'save" for extra $$ thats just the way it is...the only thing I buy outside the $400 pre year budget on guns is ammo and cleaning stuff and licenses and all that stuff. So till next year I have no gun $$(im talking around June/July at the earliest.) From now till then all it is is ammo and stuff to keep what I have running there is nothing to "save" up.(well there is but it does not get used on guns lol).

so yeah I guess if they still have one of the 2 next June im in luck.....I normally get 1 gun a year thats it..and the gun is never over $400(give or take tax and or transfer fees) This year was the AK74 and some ammo, last year it was my new CC gun the Ruger SR9c($400 even), year before it was a .22 bolt action rifle and a 6-20 scope, year before a .22 A pistol and red dot scope,year before that it was no gun and I got new speakers for my surround sound system,year before that was my prior CC weapon a used Glock 23, year before that it was a Sub Woofer for the HT system...see the pattern...one thing equalling $400 a year thats it..thats my one splurge of the year that I can spend on anything Id like..sure I could add $50 from my birthday(may) or $150 from Christmas to it but there sint any real "saving" more its a budget lol.
    Last edited by CBennett; October 7th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    there is no saving to it so it cant happen there is no saving for my gun budget I get $400 a year,,I spent that this year on a AK74 back in June...I talked her into getting a revolver for my anniversary present we agreed to a $300 budget for both of us..she got some jewelry and a fancy jewelry box and some kind of fancy sandals(Birkenstock or some krap) I was looking for and found a Revolver in that price range...There is nothing to 'save" for extra $$ thats just the way it is...the only thing I buy outside the $400 pre year budget on guns is ammo and cleaning stuff and licenses and all that stuff. So till next year I have no gun $$(im talking around June/July at the earliest.) From now till then all it is is ammo and stuff to keep what I have running there is nothing to "save" up.(well there is but it does not get used on guns lol).

so yeah I guess if they still have one of the 2 next June im in luck.....I normally get 1 gun a year thats it..and the gun is never over $400(give or take tax and or transfer fees) This year was the AK74 and some ammo, last year it was my new CC gun the Ruger SR9c($400 even), year before it was a .22 bolt action rifle and a 6-20 scope, year before a .22 A pistol and red dot scope,year before that it was no gun and I got new speakers for my surround sound system,year before that was my prior CC weapon a used Glock 23, year before that it was a Sub Woofer for the HT system...see the pattern...one thing equalling $400 a year thats it..thats my one splurge of the year that I can spend on anything Id like..sure I could add $50 from my birthday(may) or $150 from Christmas to it but there sint any real "saving" more its a budget lol.
    Oh, I see. In that case, definitely wait for the DW. I have 4 of them and will likely to end up with more. They are workhorses and solid in nearly every way. To be fair, I don't have any Ruger revolvers to compare to. Good luck.

Al

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Oh, I see. In that case, definitely wait for the DW. I have 4 of them and will likely to end up with more. They are workhorses and solid in nearly every way. To be fair, I don't have any Ruger revolvers to compare to. Good luck.

Al
    Thanks...as long as it works out I will be good..if not im gonna scream lol. Now im getting told earliest is some time after October 20th....
    Last edited by CBennett; October 7th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.

(Indiana County)

I would hold out for the DW, that said, something seems fishy to say the least about the changing owners FFL story.

If the current owner is closing up, the inventory becomes his personal property and he could sell it as a private sale through another FFL after the year the ATF makes you wait.
    A smart businessman would have disposed of his inventory to another FFL before letting his license expire, which is what I assume is what happened since they cannot sell firearms at this moment in time.
    I suppose that the new owner could have already paid for the inventory so that is why they are making you wait, but in that case the not-yet FFL is the actual owner of the stock and this seems to be a gray area IMO since the non-FFL somehow came into possession of the inventory of guns without being an FFL. Even if the current owner "sold" his inventory to the new "owner in waiting", the guns have to be on someones books, or are ghost guns hanging out in limbo and will magically show up as inventory if and when the "new" owner takes over.
    What are they doing now, just selling ammo and trinkets? Hell of a way to run a gun shop, not selling guns....

Sounds like they are giving you some sort of BS line for some reason and as much as you want the DW, I personally wouldn't hold out forever, there are always gun shows and gunbroker.
    Last edited by 39flathead; October 7th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    If the current owner is closing up, the inventory becomes his personal property
    Not always. It depends on how the business was organized. If it is a sole proprietorship, yes they are his. However, if the business is a corporation or LLC, the license is in the name of the company and you can't just slide things into your private collection without a 4473 and a NICS check.

I suppose that the new owner could have already paid for the inventory so that is why they are making you wait, but in that case the not-yet FFL is the actual owner of the stock and this seems to be a gray area IMO since the non-FFL somehow came into possession of the inventory of guns without being an FFL.
    Not gray at all. Ownership and possession are different things. I can go into a gun shop and give a dealer a big pile of cash for a gun and then tell him, "Oh, I'll be back tomorrow to do the paperwork." Nothing illegal about that. He gives me a receipt and the gun belongs to me. I just can't take it with me until I do the paperwork.

(Lycoming County)

Yeah I dont know anything about these FFL regulations at all..so im lost on all of that..all I know was yesterday the 7th when I called he said that they were looking now at the 20th the ATF or who ever does "compliance checks" were supposed to come in and do a "compliance check" then and shortly after they expect to get back in business...and yes right now all they can do is as you said....sell "trinkets" ammo,slings,scopes...I WISH he could sell it to me "privately" is do that I just want the dang gun lol and not to end up getting screwed over on the deal somehow. Believe me IF I could find a DW somewhere else(and no I looked and called all the local shops from Grices(almost 2 hour drive) to going to everything in a 1 hour drive this week while on vacation and no one has a Dan Wesson...if they did if just buy it and tell this guy to keep his since he cant sell it anyways lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12