Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Gun for my fiancee?

My fiancee goes shooting with me often and loves it(which is awesome!). I'm looking to get her something of her own soon and just looking to get some advice on what to get. I know I'll probably get a lot of suggestions for revolver(with simplicity of use), but she has already stated that she wants an auto. She likes my Glock, but has a little trouble racking the slide on it, so I'm wanting something a little smaller and easier. She held the LCP the other day and really liked the feel. Are they easy to shoot accurately? I want it to be something she can go to the range and hit the target with (She is naturally a good shot) and be a good protection gun.

Any ideas. Open to any suggestions or any experience with this.

Thanks, guys!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Gun for my fiancee?

Quote Originally Posted by adubb4 View Post
    My fiancee goes shooting with me often and loves it(which is awesome!). I'm looking to get her something of her own soon and just looking to get some advice on what to get. I know I'll probably get a lot of suggestions for revolver(with simplicity of use), but she has already stated that she wants an auto. She likes my Glock, but has a little trouble racking the slide on it, so I'm wanting something a little smaller and easier. She held the LCP the other day and really liked the feel. Are they easy to shoot accurately? I want it to be something she can go to the range and hit the target with (She is naturally a good shot) and be a good protection gun.

Any ideas. Open to any suggestions or any experience with this.

Thanks, guys!
    IMO, smaller and easier do not often go together. My wife had trouble working Glock slides at first, but with some practice and after trying a few techniques she got over it.

If she likes Glocks and the slide is the only problem, I would consider just working on that technique a bit. Any gun is going to require some practice and patience to get good and comfortable with - and Glock is as good a platform as any to invest in.
    Last edited by Philbert; October 6th, 2010 at 07:18 PM.

(Berks County)

If she wants a range gun, I'd look into something like a Walther P22 or a Sig Mosquito in .22. They have a nice look. Cheap to shoot and easy to work.

(Westmoreland County)

For a moment I thought OP was looking to trade his fiancee for a gun...

Seriously though, if she liked the LCP, she should get it.

She held the LCP the other day and really liked the feel. Are they easy to shoot accurately?
    In a word, no. I shot my nephew's LCP and was ready to put it down after less than one mag (and it has a small mag). Its virtue is concealability. But I'll shoot my M&P9c all day long if I get a chance.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    For a moment I thought OP was looking to trade his fiancee for a gun...

Seriously though, if she liked the LCP, she should get it.
    Hmmmm..... How nice of a gun are we talking about??
    Ha ha, no.

Cool.. yeah for the price the LCP looks great... Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?

(York County)

I agree with the other gentlemen, it may just be an issue of technique. I have heard that the LCP is a great gun, but not sure if you would consider it a range gun.

If she likes your Glock and it is something she is already familiar with, the platform that is, find a model (full size, compact, subcompact) that works for her. You may need her to fondle a few Glocks, or other guns for that matter, before she finds the right one for her.

Either way, it's great you are taking her out and and she is hopefully getting some decent training. Remember, a family that plays together, stays together. Best of luck to you sir!

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

She likes my Glock, but has a little trouble racking the slide on it, so I'm wanting something a little smaller and easier. She held the LCP the other day and really liked the feel. Are they easy to shoot accurately? I want it to be something she can go to the range and hit the target with (She is naturally a good shot) and be a good protection gun.
    Not at all!

I have an LCP, and only use it for summer carry when I do not have a belt.....whenever I shoot it, I am reminded that I had better be within 8 feet or so of the person.

Long squishy trigger pull on a very short and light gun= Horrible accuracy (regardless of what commercials may say).

But it is a gun which you will almost always have on your person as it is so easy to carry. That is a HUGE plus.....just note there is a downside to it.

what kind of glock does she shoot when you two go to the range? how old is it? (new spring?).

the LCP is NOT a range gun, nor is the TCP, Seecamp .380, etc. etc. etc. I carry a pocket .380 every day, and enjoy shooting it actually, but it is NOT a range gun.

If you want to get her something to shoot i would consider the PK380 (highly rated for soft shooting .380 that is easy to rack and pretty accurate), except that .380 ammo is so overpriced right now. so, instead, i would find the softest recoil compact 9mm you can e.g. S&W9c (you can put the small backstrap on for her hands) or if she has tiny hands a Taurus 709 slim (though i don't know if it's as soft shooting as the S&W).

LCP is not a good idea unless she digs recoil, and doesn't want to shoot beyond 20 feet. especially for a relative noob.

another option would be to get her an LCP for carry and occasional range practice, and a .22 for target practice (yeah call me a sexist). if she really doesn't mind recoil, just get her a decent 9mm though.

(Chester County)

Take her to a gun shop and let her handle and if possible rent & shoot some different calibers, makes and models. Let her decide.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast