Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Gun for my fiancee?

Quote Originally Posted by adubb4 View Post
    I have a G19 and she says that kicks just a little harder than she would like.

She's not looking to carry right now... so I might just get a .22 range gun (I've kinda wanted one anyways so we can shoot for next to nothing), and leave her my G19 or SP101 at the house.
    She needs to work on her techniques. The Glock 19 recoil should be easily handled with proper techniques. I can understand the first few trips to the range, but it definitely shouldn't be an issue after 2 or 3 trips unless she's super weak. Here's something to watch multiple times and follow to improve on techniques:

Another option is to get a 22LR conversion kit for your G19. That saves on transfer fee + papers and you get to practice most of your G19 (trigger, grip, sight, overall feel) with cheaper ammo.

Al

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood10 View Post
    I agree with the other gentlemen, it may just be an issue of technique. I have heard that the LCP is a great gun, but not sure if you would consider it a range gun.

If she likes your Glock and it is something she is already familiar with, the platform that is, find a model (full size, compact, subcompact) that works for her. You may need her to fondle a few Glocks, or other guns for that matter, before she finds the right one for her.

Either way, it's great you are taking her out and and she is hopefully getting some decent training. Remember, a family that plays together, stays together. Best of luck to you sir!

GB

it's OK for her to fondle other Glocks!

Glocks loosen up after break in, also, have her try a 25/28 (.380auto) should be much easier for her than a 9/40/357/45/10mm

+2 on the .22 conversion kit!

(PS, my wife had trouble racking the slide on a G19, but we changed her technique, and now she has no problems. For her, she holds the gun in her right hand, points it to the left, puts her left hand on the slide, and pushes her arms together, racking the slide, this gives her better leverage than trying to "pull" the slide)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by m6amba View Post
    it's OK for her to fondle other Glocks!

Glocks loosen up after break in, also, have her try a 25/28 (.380auto) should be much easier for her than a 9/40/357/45/10mm

+2 on the .22 conversion kit!

(PS, my wife had trouble racking the slide on a G19, but we changed her technique, and now she has no problems. For her, she holds the gun in her right hand, points it to the left, puts her left hand on the slide, and pushes her arms together, racking the slide, this gives her better leverage than trying to "pull" the slide)
    Aren't the Glock .380s for LEO use only? I thought they were banned from general import for not being "sporty" enough.

Maybe a M&P or XD. Unless she is going to consider carrying than maybe go the LCP route. But if its mostly going to be a range gun why not buy a .22, like a browning or ruger, and also something for home/personal protection. Maybe a Ruger SR9, 95, 94, etc. You could probably get two guns for the price of a bigger name gun. Maybe $200 for used .22 then 300-350 for a used/new Ruger in 9mm, .40 or .45acp; so total maybe 500-550.

Its just a thought but two gifts are only better than one, especially if they will be used. .22 will allow her to shoot alot and cheaply while a bigger caliber will be better suited for protection and bring a little more fun to the range.

(Allegheny County)

If this is to be her range gun, I don't understand why everyone is recommending compact or sub-frame guns? Smaller guns will only make recoil sharper and harder to control/handle, and the spring in a smaller gun (of the same caliber) has to be stronger to work with the recoil.

If she likes your Glock 19, why not rent her a Glock 17 or 34 to try at the range? The ergonomics will be identical, but the longer slide will give you a longer sight radius (+), recoil will be milder (+), and the spring will be less stiff (compared to a G19 or G26), making it a little easier to rack (+), and if she ever has to use your G19 for carry (I know she doesn't yet), she'll be very familiar with how it feels and handles.

Of course, .22's are great. But they are totally different. Everyone should have a .22 pistol and rifle anyways ;-)

But as this is not supposed to be a carry gun, no point in having a small frame for the harsher recoil and harder slide to rack. Aside from .22's, a full-size 9mm pistol is about as mild as recoil management goes, and the recoil spring would be easiest to overcome while racking the slide.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post
    If this is to be her range gun, I don't understand why everyone is recommending compact or sub-frame guns? Smaller guns will only make recoil sharper and harder to control/handle, and the spring in a smaller gun (of the same caliber) has to be stronger to work with the recoil.

If she likes your Glock 19, why not rent her a Glock 17 or 34 to try at the range? The ergonomics will be identical, but the longer slide will give you a longer sight radius (+), recoil will be milder (+), and the spring will be less stiff (compared to a G19 or G26), making it a little easier to rack (+), and if she ever has to use your G19 for carry (I know she doesn't yet), she'll be very familiar with how it feels and handles.

Of course, .22's are great. But they are totally different. Everyone should have a .22 pistol and rifle anyways ;-)

But as this is not supposed to be a carry gun, no point in having a small frame for the harsher recoil and harder slide to rack. Aside from .22's, a full-size 9mm pistol is about as mild as recoil management goes, and the recoil spring would be easiest to overcome while racking the slide.
    Most of us interpreted the bolded red below in the OP as a carry gun as well, and the OP did not follow up with any indication that it's a range only gun.

My fiancee goes shooting with me often and loves it(which is awesome!). I'm looking to get her something of her own soon and just looking to get some advice on what to get. I know I'll probably get a lot of suggestions for revolver(with simplicity of use), but she has already stated that she wants an auto. She likes my Glock, but has a little trouble racking the slide on it, so I'm wanting something a little smaller and easier. She held the LCP the other day and really liked the feel. Are they easy to shoot accurately? I want it to be something she can go to the range and hit the target with (She is naturally a good shot) and be a good protection gun.

Any ideas. Open to any suggestions or any experience with this.

Thanks, guys!
    Al

(Allegheny County)

Hey Al
    Please see below from the OP...
    Wow. Thanks, Everyone, for the responses. And so quickly!

I guess I pretty much was reassured what I was kind of already thinking- that I can't use her as an excuse to buy an LCP . What I'll probably do is take her to a gun shop and let her feel some- and yes, like someone said, it won't tell everything just from holding, but it will help. And I'll just have to buy the LCP myself at some point.

So on the note someone else brought up- what are some other good smaller, relatively cheap 9mm out there. I guess 9 would be better with the lower prices and since my Glock is a 9, too. I have a G19 and she says that kicks just a little harder than she would like.

She's not looking to carry right now... so I might just get a .22 range gun (I've kinda wanted one anyways so we can shoot for next to nothing), and leave her my G19 or SP101 at the house.

Oh- also does anyone in the Erie area know any good gun shops? I've been to places like Gander Mountain and Dicks, but I'm looking for a REAL gun store. Just moved up here and haven't found anything yet.

Thanks again, Everyone! Glad to be part of such a great forum!!
    A good "protection gun", at least to my understanding in this thread, was a good firearm to use in case she has to defend herself at home. Therefore, I took it as a service caliber (9mm/.38spl or higher) firearm that's reliable, that she can use proficiently if needed. Seeing that she already knows how to operate a Glock 19, and said she likes it, I'd recommend a full size Glock (or whatever else she likes after trying a few rentals).

But OP, please correct me if I'm interpreting it incorrectly. We're all just tryin' to help
    Last edited by LightningMcQueen784; October 7th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post
    please see below from the OP...
    Not to try to off track this topic, but that clarification was posted after all of the subcompact suggestions were made. No subcompact suggestions were made after that. I did say in my previous post that "and the OP did not follow up with any indication that it's a range only gun", which was incorrect.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Not to try to off track this topic, but that clarification was posted after all of the subcompact suggestions were made. No subcompact suggestions were made after that. I did say in my previous post that "and the OP did not follow up with any indication that it's a range only gun", which was incorrect.

Al
    We're all good, Al My memory isn't the best, so I didn't keep track of the lack of sub-frame guns after the OP's reply.

But it would help if the OP can clarify on what he's looking for so we can help the best we can!

(Butler County)

For a plinker - I'm a big fan of the Ruger MII/MIIIs

Very reliable, I have 2 of them that I've never had an issue with. Also TONS of aftermarket parts to accessorize it.

On a side note, I highly recommend a revolver for PD/CC for a lady, or anyone for that matter. Autos take a good amount of practice and training to be 100% reliable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast