Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Website Database of Friendly OC/CC Businesss

Hey Guys,

After looking around and seeing some other attemps at creating a site to inform the public regarding business that support our rights to bear arms, and those that frown upon it I have yet to find a site that really provides the right information.

Being in the website developmet / management business I have decided to task my comapny with the job of creating such a site. So GunWelcome.com and FirearmFriendly.com development is now in full swing!

I have a couple of thoughts on how the layout should go, rating systems, user submissions. global catalog of corporate chains policy letters and such.

I also would like to hear input from those that may also use the site, and what types of information you would like to see on the site.

Building this as a community knowledge pool where information can be posted and shared to others is our goal. Mobile site access via a cell phone is planned as well.

Any comments, or ideas, or even businesses that your know support/ don't support, or corporate letters currently can be submitted to Robert@rubberduckiesystems.com

Thanks

Robert Dare

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Website Database of Friendly OC/CC Businesss

I had the same thoughts....I registered domains too.....let's make it a race!

(Northampton County)

As far as I can tell, all businesses are OC friendly. Since I OC every day all the time and haven't had a problem.

I think this database is a bad idea. Since everything is good now, how could it get better? The only change could be downward.

My biggest concern is that people will see a business that is not listed. And call them and demand "their policy" so it can be added to the database (worst idea ever). People are going to do that. And demanding businesses to deliver policies that specifically allow guns is a bad idea. No policy is the best policy. You might force them to come up with a policy you don't like. It's not their business to take a political position on firearms. It's their business to make money.

When more and more people show up OC people will become accustomed to it. When people call or write and ask, "I want to know if you allow me to bring guns in your store," you are creating a conflict where there was none.

I think the current informal system is a good one. People carry. Other people see people carry. Some are curious, and get educated. Some are inspired, and carry themselves. Some might not like it, but do nothing - unless you are going to bring it up as an issue. There are exceptions. If it is a large company specifically hassles somebody, it's fair to ask if the employee or manager overstepped their bounds. If any company decides, or responds to an inquiry, that they don't allow carry, then it's a good idea for their customers to let them know they are not pleased with the policy and want it changed for good reason.

But setting up a black list is a bad idea. Because supporters of the list will always try to pin people down were no issue existed in the first place.

I like the idea, but I like it the way Ohioans for Concealed Carry has the DNPWA(Do Not Patronize While Armed) database. If the place is not listed Carry on, if it is don't shop there. No need to alert stores that do not care, but a great way to notify the ones that prohibit. I think it needs to allow for pictures to be uploaded showing signage.

Stay safe,
    Tom
    Last edited by tglassburner; October 7th, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
    Current City:Ashtabula County, Windsor, OH http://www.youtube.com/tglassburner

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by tglassburner View Post
    I like the idea, but I like it the way Ohioans for Concealed Carry has the DNPWA(Do Not Patronize While Armed) database. If the place is not listed Carry on, if it is don't shop there. No need to alert stores that do not care, but a great way to notify the ones that prohibit. I think it needs to allow for pictures to be uploaded showing signage.

Stay safe,
    Tom
    Seems like this is the smart way to do it!