Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default First suppressor

Hi everyone, I have been researching my first suppressor and have come to the conclusion that I can't take the next step with out hearing one for myself. I was hoping that someone in the lehigh valley area wouldn't mind me tagging along to the range to hear first hand a suppressed 5.56, 9mm or 45. I am also a member of ontelaunee if that helps. Thanks in advance.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: First suppressor

I might be convinced to bring my AAC EVO9 up to Ontelaunee. Do they allow guests? I shoot trap there in the league and was thinking about hitting the run & gun on the 31st.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Berks County)

They do not allow quests but you could use my wifes card. No one really ever checks. What would it take to convince you to bring out the aac

(Lebanon County)

contact henry smith smith specialty arms in slatington, he can demo cans for you. tell him kirk from lebanon sent ya

(Berks County)

Thank you for the info

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    contact henry smith smith specialty arms in slatington, he can demo cans for you. tell him kirk from lebanon sent ya
    Henry is great to deal with

(Philadelphia County)

Suppressing 5.56 can be disappointing. Realize the limits. You still need hearing protection unless using subsonic ammo. Your warranty will be void if you use a can on any barrel less than 10.5" on a 5.56 since you will have baffle strikes, and SBRs with cans are LOUD still. It mainly comes down to how you want to mount the can on the barrel. Threads, tri-mount, or over a flash hider. Stay away from Yankee Hill or SureFire. Try Gemtech, Advanced Armament, or Silencerco. Same with the 9mm or .45ACP. Remember to use subsonic 9mm otherwise you will have bullet crack. .45 cans can be fun and you can use them on a 9mm barrel with a thread adapter. You will 98% of the time need a booster for the can also, so the pistol will cycle properly, unless you have a fixed barrel. For pure economy, .22LR is the best caliber to suppress, and any brand is fine there. It's best to go with titanium threads if you are heavy handed.

If you can make it to Georgia for the Silencer Shoot that Advanced Armament puts on yearly, you will love it. You will able to seperate the chicken poop from the chicken salad.

(Berks County)

I was hoping a suppressed 556 in a home defense situation would not rupture your ears like an unsuppressed would. I hand load my rounds so sub sonic would be no problem. The pistol calibers would be more for fun than anything.

(Lebanon County)

[QUOTE=Pointman73;1361147]Suppressing 5.56 can be disappointing. Realize the limits.

You still need hearing protection unless using subsonic ammo.

I dont know what can your running, but you dont need hearing protection for 556- THIS but YMMV I dont need it

Your warranty will be void if you use a can on any barrel less than 10.5" on a 5.56 since you will have baffle strikes, and SBRs with cans are LOUD still. It mainly comes down to how you want to mount the can on the barrel. Threads, tri-mount, or over a flash hider.

Stay away from Yankee Hill or SureFire

Whats wrong with YHM or Surefire, they both make quality 556 cans THIS

. Try Gemtech, Advanced Armament, or Silencerco. Same with the 9mm or .45ACP. Remember to use subsonic 9mm otherwise you will have bullet crack. .45 cans can be fun and you can use them on a 9mm barrel with a thread adapter.

You will 98% of the time need a booster for the can also, so the pistol will cycle properly, unless you have a fixed barrel.

Lets try 100% of the time THIS AGAIN

For pure economy, .22LR is the best caliber to suppress, and any brand is fine there.

Again not true, A spectre is alot more suppressed than a TAC65 THIS

It's best to go with titanium threads if you are heavy handed.

more Mis- information , Most manufactures use SS threads THIS

If you can make it to Georgia for the Silencer Shoot that Advanced Armament puts on yearly, you will love it.

This has been canceled for this year THIS

You will able to seperate the chicken poop from the chicken salad.

Please take your own advice... AND THIS
    [/QUO
    Last edited by forceinPA; October 8th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Below are the supposedly safe exposure times (if you take the 80 dB level at 24 hours/85 dB at 8 hours as your base). For each 3 dB increase in sound level, you reduce the time by half. So here is how this time/loudness scale looks:

80 dB 24 hrs.
    82 dB 16 hrs.
    85 dB 8 hrs.
    88 dB 4 hrs.
    91 dB 2 hrs.
    94 dB 1 hr.
    97 dB 30 mins.
    100 dB 15 mins.
    103 dB 8 mins.
    106 dB 4 mins.
    109 dB 2 mins.
    112 dB 1 min.
    115 dB 30 secs.
    118 dB 15 secs.
    121 dB 8 secs.
    124 dB 4 secs.
    127 dB 2 secs.
    130 dB 1 sec.

THese are osha limits, alot of 556 cans are from 131 to 138 DB suppressed, so if firing a full 30 rd mag then yes your can is technically not hearing safe. To my ear I get no ring or pain. No where near the level of a non suppressed shot. I dont wear hearing protection, and it doesnt bother me, but YMMV. If you want to compare apples to oranges firing a 9mm can fast semi is not hearing safe either.
    Last edited by forceinPA; October 8th, 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast