Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Gunsmithing course

Finally signed up for a gunsmith course, been thinking about it for a while.
    Nothing to fancy, one of those study at home courses, but I have to tell you it is very interesting and very detailed. Anyone else complete one of these? I will be looking for a shop to donate some time to in order to get some experience and pointers, if anyone knows of one looking for an extra set of hands...

Default Re: Gunsmithing course

In this field nothing beats hands on learning so you get the feel of using hand tools and learn the proper
    techniques. Have you considered one of the NRA gunsmithing courses? Check their website for more info. This is something you can' really learn out of a book. I spent 3 years at Montgomery Comm.
    College in N.C., we had no text book just hands on.

(Allegheny County)

Just a few thoughts on Gunsmithing:

1. If you are a "tool thrower" don't do it. You will screw more things up than you fix or modify. When you are having trouble you must walk away from it and come back when you have cooled down, it has worked for me every time.
    2. A good Gunsmithing Course will teach you more how to think than to repair guns. Most of them approach it like you already have some knowledge, you must fully understand what they are talking about before you attemp a project and take your time.
    I went to Pennsylvania Gunsmith School, here in Western Pa., for a little over 6 years at night, after I graduated I stayed for another year just to make a couple of more rifles.
    When I started I didn't touch a gun for months , we made most of the basic tools that we would need to complete the course. This really taught you the value of working with your hands and taking your time. This was the most rewarding time of my life, I will never forget the people at PGS, going there was worth the money, time and effort.
    I don't know what course you are taking but I have purchased some courses on building 1911s from AGI and was very satisified.
    Good luck with the course & take your time,
    Jim
    It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it!

(Beaver County)

jimthom123 You say that when you when to Pennsylvania Gunsmith school that you took night classes for 6 years. I just enrolled in the same school but they said nothing about night classes. The only program they have is a 16 month course thats 8 to 5 oclock 5 days a week. Im not saying your wrong im just asking if i made a mistake and could have chosen a different schedule. If you don't mind telling me could you say how many hours a week you spent in class?

Thanks for any info and help.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree....you CAN NOT learn to be a Gunsmith or any other tradesman W/O hands on and treaining.
    I am NOT going to become a gunsmith. I am looking for self knowledge and satisfaction...I am finding course very interesting.

I didn't mean to sound negative, It should give you a lot of insight to the mechanics of firearm operation,
    and parts function. There is so much to learn in this field/sport. Enjoy!

(Allegheny County)

Gambler,
    In the early 80s PGS did have night classes (4 nights a week), I think that they did stop this because not enough people enrolled. It's a expensive deal to operate and to attend. If you have any questions about the school talk to George, Bob or Mary Thacker - all great people. Talk to George " The Chief " if you can. When it comes to fixin guns he's the smartest man in the world. He is the one that taught me how to think when it comes to guns. Tell any one of them that jim Thomas says Hi.
    Good luck,
    Jim
    It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it!

(Clarion County)

I have been kicking around the correspondence type gunsmithing course for a while also. I was a mechanic and am good with fixing and building stuff. I currently do mods and repairs for my friends weapons.

ANy information you can share about different courses is very appreciated.
    certainly keep us informed as you progress with your course.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Berks County)

A good way to start is to keep your eyes open at flea markets and garage sales for old beat up guns to practice on.

I see lots of old .22's and stuff like single shot-shotguns for real cheap prices, great stuff for a budding 'smith to tear into and see what you can do (checkering, jeweling, sights, tapping for scopes etc....).

Don't rule out AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute) I am a member, they have very good how to videos on many arms, member discounts to many parts suppliers also.