Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Cambria County Court House Encounter

Headed up to the Court House to get my Marriage License today. As I put on my pistol to go, the wife rolled her eyes and said, "I wonder what they are going to do when you show up." We both chuckled.

I entered the front door and told him I had a pistol to check in. The Sheriff on the door said OK and got me a tub for my pocket items. I placed my extra magazine and my cold steel pocket knife in the tub. "Wow, you are really ready for anything aren't you?" I smiled and moved around to check my pistol.

As he locked it up, he looked at me and said, "You carry everywhere huh? What about Wal-Mart? Your not allowed to carry there." I informed him politely that he was wrong. He said, "But there are signs up saying you can't carry." I told him nicely again that he was wrong. "You carry everywhere huh?" he said again. "Well, not in a court house like this. Or in a Post Office or on School grounds." He nodded his head and locked up my pistol and gave me my token for the locker.

Now, I'm on my way out. I walk up and as he gets my pistol out of the locker, he looks at me and says. "What about school grounds?" I told him that your not allowed to carry on school grounds. (I wasn't going to get into the possible grey area this section holds.) "Well, what about the mall, they have signs up that say you can't carry there?" I told him that those rules can't supersede State Law. But that if I was asked to leave, and refused, then I could be charged with Criminal Trespass. The other Sheriff who was standing there was speechless. The one I had been dealing with walked over toward the door with me. "Wow, you really know your laws dealing with handguns." I told him that I felt that if someone was going to carry, they better understand the laws dealing with it. Both of them nodded their heads and the one sheriff said, "Wish more people understood the laws like you do."

As we walked out of the court house my better half chuckled. "You sure schooled him. Funny how he kept trying to trip you up and you just explained how he was wrong and then told him the way it was. He was looking pretty stupid toward the end. The other guy wouldn't even get involved." I smiled and laughed with her. It was pretty gratifying to be the one that knew more. I wonder if maybe he will try to learn more about the laws or not.... I really doubt it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Cambria County Court House Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I entered the front door and told him I had a pistol to check in. The Sheriff on the door said OK and got me a tub for my pocket items. I placed my extra magazine and my cold steel pocket knife in the tub. "Wow, you are really ready for anything aren't you?" I smiled and moved around to check my pistol.

As he locked it up,
    Can you clarify: was this 'cold steel pocket knife' locked up or not?

(Venango County)

"Wow, you really know your laws dealing with handguns." I told him that I felt that if someone was going to carry, they better understand the laws dealing with it. Both of them nodded their heads and the one sheriff said, "Wish more people understood the laws like you do."
    Dude! You missed the PERFECT opportunity!!!!
    "Yeah...Me too......especially the people who are charged with enforcing them......" ;P

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    Can you clarify: was this 'cold steel pocket knife' locked up or not?
    HOLY SHIT. THEY GOT MY KNIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEVER GOT IT BACK. BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOING BACK UP FIRST THING TOMORROW MORNING TO SEE IF IT IS STILL THERE.

As soon as you mentioned it, I realized that it never went in the plastic bin to go in the locker. I think he stuck it in a drawer and then never gave it back to me.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Dauphin County)

HOLY SHIT. THEY GOT MY KNIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEVER GOT IT BACK. BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOING BACK UP FIRST THING TOMORROW MORNING TO SEE IF IT IS STILL THERE.
    As soon as you mentioned it, I realized that it never went in the plastic bin to go in the locker. I think he stuck it in a drawer and then never gave it back to me.
    Hmm.

"Wow, you really know your laws dealing with handguns." I told him that I felt that if someone was going to carry, they better understand the laws dealing with it. Both of them nodded their heads and the one sheriff said, "Wish more people understood the laws like you do."

As we walked out of the court house my better half chuckled. "You sure schooled him. Funny how he kept trying to trip you up and you just explained how he was wrong and then told him the way it was. He was looking pretty stupid toward the end. The other guy wouldn't even get involved."
    If you can't find the knife on this list, it should not be going into a locker and you should be able to carry it about a court facility:
    "Dangerous weapon." A bomb, grenade, blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife (the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism or otherwise) or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

What about on this list?
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb,grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

I would submit the lesson here is that there are too many laws.
    Why should one have to get a license to exercise a right?
    Why can't you carry on school grounds? They are not the safest places thesed days it seems.
    Why not carry in a court house, a fed builiding? You own them
    The not carrying in Wal Mart policy I can handle considering private property rights, I understand that.

Granted the above opinion comes from a guy in the regime of ILLANNOY where the right is completely denied.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    Hmm.

If you can't find the knife on this list, it should not be going into a locker and you should be able to carry it about a court facility:
    "Dangerous weapon." A bomb, grenade, blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife (the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism or otherwise) or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

What about on this list?
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb,grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    HMMMM

10char

(Cambria County)

I am soooooo sorry, but I admit, I laughed as I read this. I mean I can just see you sitting there as you read the post that asked about your knife...and then BAM!, it hits you. LOL. Sorry.

Anyway, I hope you get it back without hassle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Cambria County)

Question Re: Cambria County Court House Encounter

Since you posted in the CC forum I assume you carry concealed. My question is....did the sheriff at the door ask to see your LTCF? Or did you offer it? Thanks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Allegheny County)

"Well, what about the mall, they have signs up that say you can't carry there?" I told him that those rules can't supersede State Law.
    Uh... what? What does private property have to do with, what I assume you're referring to, state firearms law preemption?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast