Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: HB 40 Race to the finish line in the Senate

Please Remind the Senators that HB 40 HAS PASSED THE HOUSE and Will Be waiting for them to take action in the Senate.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

I've spoken to Rep. Solobay, who called me, as well as staffers for Perry, Krieger, Maher (my rep), McCall, Metcalfe, Turzai, Readshaw, and Casorio to thank them. They were not picked randomly. We visited them Monday. If you have been to the Capitol, make it a point to thank those who voted YES. I've spoken to staffers at the Senate offices of Scarnati, Pileggi, Waugh, Pippy (my senator), Alloway, Wozniak (he was my guy when I lived in Johnstown), Corman, Mellow, and Fontana.

I saw the reply from Leach. Shooting a TV repairman that you happen to walk in on in your home? His response is so far out, that the only thing to do is hope the rest of the Senate knows what a knucklehead he is, AND to vote him out of office.

I got one recurring response from the Senators who support us. WE'RE ONLY GOING TO SUPPORT HB 40 IF IT COMES FROM THE HOUSE WITHOUT AMENDMENT! We have a shot. Please keep the faxes and phone calls pouring in to the Senate staffers. It ain't over till the fat lady sings, folks. This can be done, but its going to take a Herculean effort to make it so.

RisenPhoenix, his Dad, Whitefeather, our friend from York who's screen name escapes me, and hopefully a couple of hundred other friends are planning on being in Harrisburg next week. Let's make sure our phone calls are respectful, and our face to face meetings with our Senators are cordial, but firm. This is HISTORY. Not only does this define your right to defend yourself, but its tort reform of the first order.
    WOP 2-The Original Spaghetti Western

(Delaware County)

My Prompt Reply From Ed Erickson Dist. 26

"Thank you for contacting me to express your support for House Bill 40. As you know, this legislation would establish the Castle Doctrine in Pennsylvania to protect gun owners who act in self-defense. The bill would remove the "duty to retreat" clause when an individual is threatened by an attacker in any place that individual has a right to be, including the individual’s home or vehicle. The bill would provide important protections against criminal prosecution or civil litigation for those who act to defend themselves.

House Bill 40 was reported out of the House Judiciary Committee on May 25, 2010 and was recently reported out of the House Appropriations Committee on September 29, 2010. I certainly believe that individuals have the right to defend themselves against criminals, especially in their homes. I intend to support House Bill 40 should it ever be passed by the House and advanced for a vote in the Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me in regard to this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any state related concern.

Sincerely,

Edwin B. Erickson"

I followed up his Reply with this message and am more than happy with his reply.

Not only will it protect gun owners, but any citizen that is faced with a self defense situation. It will finally allow citizens to have a level playing field with the criminals that are lawless anyway.

Thanks again for your prompt reply and I appreciate your stance on the matter.

Sincerely,
    VF
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

(Allegheny County)

I just replied to Edwin B. Erickson and informed him the bill was passed by the house last night.

Andy
    Andrew Jackson USN (1992-2010)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    All due respect, but as a matter of Internet etiquette, please make an "emphasis by me" or "additions by me" comment or something of the like when you edit a quote from someone. The way I read your post, your change to my quote could be seen as words I wrote and emphasized myself.

Thanks... Now back to the task at hand.
    Yes sir and my apologies. Will do ongoing.

(Allegheny County)

I also just sent this to Adam Ravenstahl.
    "I would like to thank you for your support of HB40. I would also appreciate it if ou would contact Senator Ferlo and discuss the bill with him. You opinion, being a legislator, would help in his understanding of the bill and help further the effort along."

Andy
    Andrew Jackson USN (1992-2010)

(Berks County)

CeasefirePA has spoken. http://conta.cc/aUJWDO

Close The Florida Gun Loophole

October 6, 2010

Greetings!

Why is the Pennsylvania House of Representatives - and Attorney General Tom Corbett - so afraid of the Florida Concealed Carry Gun Loophole?

Yesterday, for the second time, a majority of the Pennsylvania House supported the National Rifle Association, and turned its back on their constituents. The House refused to consider or debate an amendment offered by Rep. Bryan Lentz to close a deadly loophole in PA law allowing PA residents to get out-of-state gun permits, even after local police have denied or revoked their permits because of something in their background making them a risk. This dangerous gap - the Florida Concealed Carry Loophole - has already been tied to one gun murder in Philadelphia, as well as other gun crimes in Pennsylvania.

Closing this deadly gap in Pennsylvania law has the support of more than 100 Pennsylvania police chiefs and law enforcement officials, and 200 PA mayors who took out full-page newspaper ads, urging the Legislature to protect the people of Pennsylvania by closing this loophole to make sure PA law enforcement decides which PA residents should - or shouldn't - receive a permit to carry a concealed gun in our state. It has the support of thousands of Pennsylvanians - like you - who called your House members this week and urged support for closing the Florida gun loophole.

It has the support of leading Pennsylvania newspapers, from East to West. Click here to read what newspapers in Pittsburgh and Lancaster are saying.

They're Not Fighting For Us

But if anything was made clear yesterday in the House, it's that a majority of its membership doesn't care what we think. They're not fighting for us.

The NRA and the gun lobby are afraid of the Florida Concealed Carry Gun Loophole. Because they have no answer to it. Why would anyone support a loophole that undercuts Pennsylvania law enforcement, taking away their authority to decide who is an appropriate risk to carry a concealed gun in this state, and outsourcing that critical public safety function to the Florida Department of Agriculture?

The House has company among politicians seeking to avoid this issue. Attorney General, Tom Corbett, who's running for Governor, calls the Florida gun loophole issue "a solution in search of a problem." Meet Marqus Hill, a Philadelphia man whose PA concealed gun permit was revoked by Philadelphia police in 2005 because of a prior arrest for attempted murder. Hill went online and got a permit to carry a concealed gun from Florida. Three weeks ago, he shot and killed a teenager in Philadelphia - with 13 .40 caliber bullets - and a still-active Florida gun permit. You can view the Mayors' ad here: www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/PennAd.

But for a majority of the Pennsylvania House, not only wasn't this a problem, they didn't want to even hear about it. For the second straight day, the House voted to block any debate or amendments from being brought to the floor for consideration on gun issues - including the Florida loophole bill offered by Rep. Lentz.

This is because the House already had its marching orders for the day from the NRA, which is pushing its shoot-first-ask-questions-later bill, the so-called Castle Doctrine, House Bill 40. HB 40 makes it easier for people with guns to shoot one another, under the justification that they have no duty to retreat safely from conflict. The Castle Doctrine is already law in Pennsylvania. You already have no duty to retreat in your home or workplace from armed intruders. This bill expands that zone from your home, to your front lawn, your porch, even your car. Every leading law enforcement organization in PA opposes this irresponsible expansion of state law, and so does CeaseFirePA.

Ed Marsico, the Dauphin County District Attorney and president of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association, said his group supported the Lentz bill to close the Florida loophole and opposed expanding the Castle Doctrine. "We have some concerns about the abilities of an individual who can't get a gun in Pennsylvania getting a gun in Florida or elsewhere," Marsico said. He called the castle-doctrine expansion a "defense attorney's dream. This will change what happens in the street. Someone can claim self-defense if they shoot someone who looks at them the wrong way. By eliminating a duty to retreat, you are encouraging someone to potentially take a life."

The Castle Doctrine bill passed the House overwhelmingly - even as House Republicans pressed forward with their motion to block all debate and any amendments from consideration, like the Florida loophole. Click here to see how your Representative voted on HB 40.

Rep. Bryan Lentz, the Florida loophole bill sponsor, put it best: "It's pretty outrageous they would not even stand up and engage in argument. They have no defense as to why the Florida loophole should not be closed," Lentz said. "There is no self-defense epidemic, there is a gun-violence epidemic."

On Tuesday, before final passage of H.B. 40 with no amendments or debate allowed, Appropriations Chairman, Rep Dwight Evans made one, final appeal to the House to have a discussion on the "shoot first" HB 40 bill, and to at least consider amendments proposed. "You may win this vote today," Evans said to the House Republicans, "but mark my words - if you stay around long enough, there will be a day when somebody does the same to you. Here's some advice: the easiest thing to do is to let people have some say."
    Get Involved Today

If you want to get involved in our PA 2010 Election efforts, call our office now at 215-923-3151 or email info@ceasefirepa.org. Volunteer. We'll be in the field helping candidates for House seats whom we support - join us. Check out our website for Elections Updates at www.CeaseFirePA.org. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Donate to our CeaseFirePA PAC. You can donate online through our website or by mail to 111 S,. Independence Mall East, Suite 966, Phila., PA 19106.

While the NRA relies on fear and the cowardice of legislators - we're relying on you, a Pennsylvanian who agrees with us that's it time for real change on the gun issue. It's time to change some tired, old faces in Harrisburg. It's time for a new team that's willing to fight for us.

Thank you,

Joe Grace
    Executive Director
    CeaseFirePA

(Montgomery County)

I plan on sending the petition to the PA SENATE as well...

Sign it and spread the word!

EVERY BIT HELPS!
    SUPPORT THE 2nd AMENDMENT - IMPEACH ALL TRAITORS TO THE CONSTITUTION!

Just got this reply from Senator Argall:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the ‘Castle Doctrine’ and the rights of citizens to own and carry firearms. I appreciate your interest in this matter and share your concerns.

This week, the House of Representatives voted to advance House Bill 40, 159-38. The bill has moved to the Senate for consideration. I will support this bill, as you have requested.

Once again, I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

DAVID G. ARGALL

State Senator

29th District

(Venango County)

I just received the following reply from Senator Mary Jo White's office:

"Dear Mr. L_____:

Thank you for contacting Senator White regarding House Bill 40 which was just passed by the House of Representatives. As you may know, the Senate has only 3 more session days before the end of the 2009-2010 legislative session. The Senate will be in session October 12, 13 and 14. It is uncertain whether there will be enough time for consideration of House Bill 40.

Senator White is presently reviewing the legislation as it was passed by the House. I will make sure she is aware of your support for the bill.

Your input on this issue is appreciated."

Sincerely,
    Leigh Ramsey
    Office of Senator Mary Jo White

Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast