Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: HB 40 Race to the finish line in the Senate

Are all the senators up for reelection this year also?

(Washington County)

I emailed my Senator: J. Barry Stout. I see from the list that White Feather posted he is a cosponsor of this bill. So that's good. Time to make sure he doesn't allow any of the stupid amendments to be attached.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
    Time to make sure he doesn't allow any of the stupid amendments to be attached.
    I would like to reiterate that the above IS KEY TO OUR EFFORT, and would like to once again ask everyone when contacting or talking with their Senators to make sure they understand we want this bill scheduled for a vote next week, and want it passed with NO AMENDMENTS.

If HB40 is amended in the Senate for any reason, it will have to go back to the House for concurrence. That will not only take time (quite possible more than we have), but will give yesterday's very vocal "the sky is falling" minority a chance to kill this bill. We CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN, people.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; October 6th, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Venango County)

Email to Sen. Mary Jo White:

Senator White,

I am writing to you today, to ask you to be the voice of the people, and to expedite the passage of HB40, without amendments. People today are afraid, and not just of those who would do them harm. They are afraid of a legal system working in favor of law breakers, against those who would be able to protect themselves, their family, and their loved ones.

I urge you, to help us in getting HB40 passed, so we may not live in fear of defending ourselves, or those around us.

Thank You
    Connal
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Allegheny County)

Much appreciated reply from Senator Jay Costa (to my mis-written email):

Good for him! Senator Costa writes:

Dear [constituent]:

Thank you for contacting me to relate your support for House Bill 40, legislation that would implement the “Castle Doctrine” in Pennsylvania, allowing the use of protective force in defense of one’s home. I appreciate your interest in legislation of this kind and I understand your support for this doctrine.

As you are likely aware, House Bill 40 is currently under the consideration of the House Appropriations Committee, to which it was referred on May 26, 2010 and a discharge resolution on this bill is under consideration. Similar legislation, Senate Bill 842, is currently under the consideration of the Senate Judiciary Committee, to which it was referred on May 5, 2009. I am well aware of the enactment of similar legislation in Florida in recent years and I realize that there are many who support the implementation of this doctrine in Pennsylvania. Though I am unable to consider the discharge petition, which will be reviewed by the House and not the Senate, I will keep your thoughts on this matter in mind if the opportunity to consider this doctrine should come before me.

Again, thank you for taking the time to relate your thoughts on this matter to me. Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you in any way.

Sincerely yours,
    Senator Jay Costa, Jr.
    43rd District

--------------------------------------------------------

To:
    costa@pasenate.com
    fontana@pasenate.com

Sir:

I am writing to encourage your support of HB 40, the Castle Doctrine bill, in the interest of law-abiding PA citizens.

Although the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association does not support this bill, I respectfully remind you that neither do they definitively protect law-abiding citizens in crisis situations from potentially severe punishment and personal devastation for having done the right thing in dangerous, life-threatened circumstances, and that is a great social wrong.

The argument against Castle Doctrine supposes that the potential for its abuse is primarily by the same people the bill is designed to help safeguard against -- being the criminals and gangs.

The political "logic" in that argument is that laws are enacted or defeated in the interest of criminals and gangs, and not law abiding citizens.

This bill will help define and clarify responsible actions in the real interest of those law-abiding citizens the law is suppose to protect.

Thank you.

[My Name], [My City].

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Are all the senators up for reelection this year also?
    No, only about half of the Senate is up for re-election this year.

I think it is important to note that when thanking our Representatives for the work they did yesterday in getting HB 40 through the House........ we shouldn't pass up the opportunity to implore them to contact their fellow Senator Colleagues to get this through the Senate. They can also be our lobbyists because I can't imagine they want their work and vote to be in vain. Here is an example of the Thank You Email I am sending to all of those that voted in favor of HB 40:

I want to thank you for your perseverance and diligence in getting HB 40 Castle Doctrine passed yesterday. I know that sometimes it is hard to stand up for the individual and believe in the goodness of the average joe. The language in the bill extends common sense in favor of me, the law abiding citizen. I will continue to work and contact my senator to push HB 40, without amendments, next week through the Senate. I know you have extended yourself already with your courageous vote, but I ask you not to have your vote be in vain and contact your Senator Colleagues and urge them to move swiftly to pass this important piece of legislation. Thank you!

Regards,
    MH

I emailed all Senators except for my own... Rafferty. I'm getting a snail-mail out to him today.

Let's rock!
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

Email from Senator Mike Folmer's office:

Dear kcr121,

Senator Folmer looks forward to supporting Pennsylvania's Castle Doctrine.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Senator Folmer on this important issue.

Marie Tribioli

Office of Senator Mike Folmer

(Berks County)

Was there a list of email addresses for the reps who supported us yesterday posted anywhere?

Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast