Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default So I got a Dan Wesson revolver...

So last week I was on GB.com bidding for a revolver. A few revolvers I want popped up but I lost the bid. So when this Dan Wesson Model 15 2 1/2" show up, I decided I need to win it. Of course I won since I am talking about it now. Got it shipped to my local FFL and went to the range today. Brought the Dan Wesson and a Glock 26 with me. Shot the Glock first since that is my CCW. Got some practice with it and then I switched to the Dan Wesson. Shot half a box of .38 special and decided to shoot the .357magnum. I read about it online talking how it has a good kick to it and how unpleasant to shoot it. I loaded up 1 round and cock the hammer so it is SA. Aimed at the target, and pulled the trigger. BOOM! I fell in love with it immediately! Even though my face got blasted with powder. I felt a wave of heat passed by my face and saw a big flash. A big smile was my reaction. I told myself I got to finish the box of .38special and have some fun with the .357magnum. Every pull was a smile. Finish all the .38special and .357magnum and went home. Did not shot the Glock after I started shooting the Dan Wesson. My opinion is that the gun is very accurate, maybe it is the SA trigger? Recoil is manageable even for my size. (140lbs,5'8") My follow up shots need to be improve for sure. Overall I love the revolver and will spend more time with it from now on. By the way, Thanks to a guy that borrow me his tool to adjust my rear sight since when I got the gun, the rear sight was way off. Apologize for this boring post but I someone to share it with.

This picture was taking right after I got back from the range. It is clean now!

Can any body recommend me a good .357magnum round to target practice? Can anyone tell me how to improve my shots by looking at the target? (Lefty) Any advice on shooting a revolver?

Thanks!

Matt

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: So I got a Dan Wesson revolver...

Congrats Matt!!! That's one of the DW's remaining on my list, a snubbie. I have 4 DW's, including a used one that is giving me some problem with cylinder getting stuck, but I won't be selling it away.

Nice shooting too. SA is definitely a factor when it comes to accuracy. Don't forget to squeeze a few cylinders of DA though. Good exercise for your finger.

As for the practice ammo, to be honest with you, just whatever the cheapest you can find online or elsewhere. AIM Surplus is my source for most ammo purchases. They are selling CCI Blazer for $16.95/box and shipping is cheap. I usually get 10 boxes or more and shipping runs around $12.

If you think .357 is a blast, put some money aside for a .44mag.

Al

(Beaver County)

Grats on the DW. Welcome to a new obsession in revolvers. You ammo seems to be fine for target practice. Basically what I use in my DW cept mine are reloads. Target looks good for starting out. More rounds down the pipe will make better groups ( IE practice). So all ya need now is maybe that 8 inch weighted barrel from GB to have the dirty harry feel. Should look at buying the multi tool for the gun so you can adjust sights and make sure your barrel stays tight. The barrel clearance gauge is not necessary if you got a standard set of automotive feeler gages.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lehigh County)

Talking Re: So I got a Dan Wesson revolver...

Congrats, Matt - the obsession will get worse, trust me! I have three DWs, the 44 mag is the absolute best. I think I'd sell my soul for a 41 mag or maybe even a 45 colt, they're tough to find! Shoot the heck out of her, DWs are tough and accurate. Time to look for more/different barrels and shrouds and grips....good luck with her and keep shooting, it looks like you're dong just fine.

Lucky lucky. congrats on the Dan Wesson. I've been trying to get one of these for awhile. They just look attractive and have great reviews. But the price has never been right or missed on a great deal

Good luck to you

(Berks County)

go to "danwessonforum.com" and on the front page youll see a guy that sells the barrel tool. I bought mine from him and its perfect. Plus he's a hell of a guy!!!!

(Luzerne County)

Congrats. I have three so far.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I had two 357s and wanted a 44 mag DWA recently I've been seeing them (15HV 6") for about $485 used. I bought mines for $319 NIB back in 1985 it was 15HV 4" how much are you guys paying for them. I'd like another one I sold the others and still have barrels for them left over in 357. Mines was the 15HV 2-4-8" (I bought the barrels separately) and a matte 15 6" 357 both were very accurate and handled hot loads well. It never had the trigger of the Python but it never had the timing problems either.

I had a friend that bought the 44 mag DWA sweet shooting 44 but it was a TANK heavy vented also 6-8" barrel.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I had two 357s and wanted a 44 mag DWA recently I've been seeing them (15HV 6") for about $485 used. I bought mines for $319 NIB back in 1985 it was 15HV 4" how much are you guys paying for them. I'd like another one I sold the others and still have barrels for them left over in 357. Mines was the 15HV 2-4-8" (I bought the barrels separately) and a matte 15 6" 357 both were very accurate and handled hot loads well. It never had the trigger of the Python but it never had the timing problems either.

I had a friend that bought the 44 mag DWA sweet shooting 44 but it was a TANK heavy vented also 6-8" barrel.
    357 cost me $190.00 a fw years ago.Blues, two barrels and shrouds. In 2004
    44mag $500.00. Stainles. 1 extra barrel. In 2010
    22mag $270.00 In 2001
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Berks County)

bought mine last year for $300. Model 15 porkchop. Bottom one in pic. Took the wood grip off and put on a hogue. I love this gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast