Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Sass in need of optics

I have pretty much a pieced together sass rifle and I am now looking for a variable scope for it. Looking for a max of 6x on the low side and around or higher than 16x on the top side. Going to be used for target shooting into 300yds maybe more depending on the range but most 100 to 300 and Id really like to be able to see where I am hitting with out a spotting scope or walk. Price range 1000 can go up in price a little or down.

Default Re: Sass in need of optics

You can pick up a Leupold mk 4 6.5-20x50 for about that, same with a trijicon 5-20x50. There are a few other's out there as well. Can you give a little more of a description of what your looking for with the scope? MOA or MIL adjustments, MOA or MIL reticle(it's recommened to stick with the same type of measurement for the optic and the turrets). Have you checked out snipershide for ideas as well? Shed a little more light on exactly what you are looking for and hopefully we can get you pointed in the right direction. Also, post some pictures of your creation if you can, I'd like to see it and I'm sure others here would as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lehigh County)

By redss82

Nothing really fancy started out as a used dpms oracle now has a dpms sass barrel, gas block, rifle length quad rail, magpul prs, timney single stage 4lbs trigger, forget what company's muzzle brake I have. The scope on it now is most likely a temp its a old burris usa made 6x-18x fullfield

I am open to mil/mil or moa/moa never used a mildot or mil adjustments. But I do have a good grasp of numbers so it should not be to hard to wrap my mind around it. I have been looking at the trijicon, sightron, burris xtr, nikon just at a loss at what to do.

(Lehigh County)

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...c=NZ&src=BE553

I picked up one of the 3-15x50 models and it has very nice glass. Took it shooting near dusk and it did great. This is my first piece of mid to higher-end glass, so I was very impressed.

I researched before buying and other forums say they are comperable to a Weaver Super Slam.

(Lehigh County)

Ended up buying a IOR 3-18x

By redss82

And this is how it did at the range got it on paper at 100yds then it jammed because of the ammo I was shooting ending my day early

By redss82

that's what I was going to recommend, that or the newer 3.5-18x50 FFP. how do you like it so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lehigh County)

I like it so far but I only shot around thirty rounds before the jam. Depending on the weather I'm going to try again this weekend see if I can shot a box with it.

(Beaver County)

Some nice looking Rigs! I was looking for something similar for my 223 sass. You should also factor in rings/mount, probably high or extra high. I liked the burris a lot and swfa's rings and mounts are made in same factory (i actually like swfa better). I did see a set of 30mm badger rings on craigslist for $50... go to zimkiv n search all regions to find (if thtyere still up?).

I ended up getting a used zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 off of a guy for $450....couldnt pass on that. Still waiting for it to get here.

Before that, I had narrowed down my scopes for consideration to:

leupold VX3 - these have the same glass as mark 4/vx7 and leupold can install turrets later. You can call a rep and they will state the same and save some money.

bushnell 42000/6500 heard lots of good about them

Nikon monarchs are great and at a great price

Burris xtr or diamond. nice 30mm tubes and made in usa

Zeiss conquest line

I feel that now-adays you cant go wrong with any scope originally priced over 600. Heck even a lot under that... the nikons have some great glass for money.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyFreek60 View Post
    leupold VX3 - these have the same glass as mark 4/vx7 and leupold can install turrets later. You can call a rep and they will state the same and save some money.
    I did just that about 10-12 years ago with an old VariX II 6-18 for my 308 Remington SFVS. The price was very reasonable IIRC.

I have a .308 Oracle with a 3.5-10 VariX III on a Wilson Combat mount that's working really well now. All my scoped rifles have Leupolds on them. The newest one is over 15 years old & I've never had a problem with any of them.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell