Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Muzzel Break Erosion

I just purchased my first AR (Stag-15 model 4) used with about 400 rounds through it in near perfect condition. I fired about 200 rounds this morning. While cleaning it I noticed that the first port (correct term?) of the muzzle break was starting to erode. Is this normal or something to be concerned about. I did not notice any erosion when I purchased it, though I was not looking for any either. Could this be caused by shooting too many rounds in too short of a time? I will try to post pics later as I am at work right now.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Muzzel Break Erosion

i have shot many rounds from my ar/15 platform guns, never had a problem with erosion, just your typical jam....
    sounds like maybe the brake is made from sub-standard material?
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

I would not worry about it in the least. If you have to replace the muzzle break, they are inexpensive. I found one on MidwayUSA.com for 27 bucks.

Do not worry about it, it is a machine and they wear. (Mine has not, but it is a different make)
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

when you say erosion, you mean a crust is forming? you are talking about an A2 style break/compensator? what color is this erosion? green?

what type of ammunition are you shooting?

200 rounds in a morning out of an AR isn't really considered allot.
    Last edited by animalmother85; October 10th, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gurugold View Post
    I just purchased my first AR (Stag-15 model 4) used with about 400 rounds through it in near perfect condition. I fired about 200 rounds this morning. While cleaning it I noticed that the first port (correct term?) of the muzzle break was starting to erode. Is this normal or something to be concerned about. I did not notice any erosion when I purchased it, though I was not looking for any either. Could this be caused by shooting too many rounds in too short of a time? I will try to post pics later as I am at work right now.

Thank you in advance.
    What kind of break is this?

Most "breaks" have an open (or caged) area the bullet passes through and then a closed area the bullet passes through after that. "comps" usually have slots in an open area to direct gas to reduce muzzle climb. This is not any kind of official definition, some will disagree with it.

I use mostly A2 comps and PWS 556 comps (which are combination comp and break). I shoot the snot out of both of them. On the latter, I have erosion on the break baffle at the end of the open section.

Thinking about it now it may be more of a crust forming than erosion, though I will have to check when I get home from work. I am not so much concerned about the cost of replacement, but rather that it is a permently attached device (Jersey Sucks). Hopefully I just did a sub-standard job in my cleaning this morning.

ooohhhhhhh, its a jersey brake. that explains everything...
    FJB

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    ooohhhhhhh, its a jersey brake. that explains everything...
    Yeah, I think if it is actual erosion you'll have to turn it in to the NJSP for disposal

(just kidding)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gurugold View Post
    Thinking about it now it may be more of a crust forming than erosion, though I will have to check when I get home from work. I am not so much concerned about the cost of replacement, but rather that it is a permently attached device (Jersey Sucks). Hopefully I just did a sub-standard job in my cleaning this morning.
    Nothing is permanently attached as long as bandsaws are still legal. A good gunsmith can do just about anything to a firearm... the cost to cut off a muzzle break and recrown the barrel is minimal if necessary. However, I suspect you are suffering from Firearm Owners Hypochondria. This is a common condition when people place vastly more value on their firearms then just regarding it as mere machinery. The only real cure for this is taking a week long training course while firing thousands of rounds, and it will make you a better shooter at the same time. Start saving your lunch money.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Nothing is permanently attached as long as bandsaws are still legal. A good gunsmith can do just about anything to a firearm... the cost to cut off a muzzle break and recrown the barrel is minimal if necessary. However, I suspect you are suffering from Firearm Owners Hypochondria. This is a common condition when people place vastly more value on their firearms then just regarding it as mere machinery. The only real cure for this is taking a week long training course while firing thousands of rounds, and it will make you a better shooter at the same time. Start saving your lunch money.
    Lol. No, I do not mind the occassional scratch or normal wear and tear on a gun(though the scratch by the take down lever of my 1911 is annoying). I just wanted to make sure that this is not out of the ordinary as I am rather unfamiliar with the platform.
    BTW, I do believe that band saws were recently placed on the assault weapons list and you are only allowed to purchase one per month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast