Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulled over

(Bucks County)

Default pulled over

not sure if this has been asked, im sure it has, but can a cop see if you have a ltcf when he searches you on his computer when he pulls you over?

(Berks County)

Default Re: pulled over

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    not sure if this has been asked, im sure it has, but can a cop see if you have a ltcf when he searches you on his computer when he pulls you over?
    Not by just "running" your plate and DL.
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

(Monroe County)

Not in PA, but in many other states yes, in some states you firearm license is linked through DMV, should be illegal in my opinion, Thank God we dont have that in PA, in fact in PA you are not required to tell the PO anything, its up to you to inform him/her.

(Lackawanna County)

When the new system is up and running, YES. In the counties already on the system, YES.

They are crosslinked by name, address and operators license number.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    When the new system is up and running, YES. In the counties already on the system, YES.

They are crosslinked by name, address and operators license number.
    As I outlined in another post some time ago; I'm still waiting to see any authorization under the law for this. The development of this system in particular counties is not tied to the change in the law passed in 2005 for upgrading licenses to carry. There is still only one section of law covering the validation of licenses to carry.

I can't find a single statute authorizing instant access to this information upon the initiation of a traffic stop. Until I see otherwise, as far as I'm concerned this is just a case of authorities invading the privacy of license holders to get around the fact that this state does not have a duty-to-inform law. There are serious 4th & 14th amendment concerns with this system, enough that it is abhorrent for such a system to be established without expressed authority from the legislature.

I've been making informal inquiries about this system for a while now. I guess it's time to start making formal ones.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109
    (l) Firearms License Validation System.--
    (1) The Pennsylvania State Police shall establish a nationwide toll- free telephone number, known as the Firearms License Validation System, which shall be operational seven days a week, 24 hours per day, for the purpose of responding to law enforcement inquiries regarding the validity of any Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm.
    (2) Notwithstanding any other law regarding the confidentiality of information, inquiries to the Firearms License Validation System regarding the validity of any Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm may only be made by law enforcement personnel acting within the scope of their official duties.
    (3) Law enforcement personnel outside this Commonwealth shall provide their originating agency identifier number and the license number of the license to carry a firearm which is the subject of the inquiry.
    (4) Responses to inquiries by law enforcement personnel outside this Commonwealth shall be limited to the name of the licensee, the validity of the license and any information which may be provided to a criminal justice agency pursuant to Chapter 91 (relating to criminal history record information).

Here in Texas if you are stopped and asked for your drivers license and have a concealed carry permit, you are required to show both to the officer. The ccw permit is tied in with your drivers license and if you do not show both you can lose your permit for six months.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rambuster1 View Post
    Here in Texas if you are stopped and asked for your drivers license and have a concealed carry permit, you are required to show both to the officer. The ccw permit is tied in with your drivers license and if you do not show both you can lose your permit for six months.
    Yes, there are a few states that require you to inform.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    . . . I can't find a single statute authorizing instant access to this information upon the initiation of a traffic stop. Until I see otherwise, as far as I'm concerned this is just a case of authorities invading the privacy of license holders to get around the fact that this state does not have a duty-to-inform law. There are serious 4th & 14th amendment concerns with this system, enough that it is abhorrent for such a system to be established without expressed authority from the legislature . . .

Kinda like the PSP keeping detailed records of handgun transfers. They do it because they have the means and desire, if not the authority.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Last December, I was pulled over in York County, by a "local" and he had my LCTF info by radio when he ran my plate, before he even came up to the window.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Centre County)

Yeah we all know the most dangerous criminals that will shoot a cop are those who have a LTCF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast