Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default My Ruger MKIII HATES CCI Standard Velocity Ammo. HUH?

I buy tons of .22 ammo. A different flavor every week it seems. Lately I've been trying to get some consistency for accuracy's sake. I picked up a 500 round box of CCI Standard Velocity and headed to the range with the MKIII and the M&P 15-22. I shot the 15-22 for a little and loaded the MKIII. I started shooting and the second round jammed, over shot the feed ramp. I popped the round out, it was all beat up from having the bolt smash it against the wall above the breach. I shot the rest of the mag no problems. Next mag, second round jams. What the heck?

I should mention, before shooting the CCI ammo I shot about 50 rounds of assorted ammo I had with me. I shot Remington Thunderbolts, Winchester Wildcats, Remington Subsonics, and some Winchester bulk pack stuff. None of it jammed, it all worked perfectly. (I had to clean out my "assorted .22" box.)

After 6 or 7 mags jamming on the second round I tried loading fewer rounds, that did nothing. I tried only loading 2 rounds, that actually worked. I discovered that the rounds had a LOT of wax on them. I don't know if this is typical for Standard Velocity, I've never seen it with any other CCI rimfire ammo. Turns out the wax was gumming up the magazines. Anybody else ever have a problem like this? It was so strange, especially because the MKIII will eat anything.

So what's the deal with waxy ammo?

ETA; Here's what a M&P 15-22 can do at 100 yards.

5 shot group using Eley and a 9x scope. I was shocked when I saw this. My other groups from 100 yards are about dinner plate sized, so I'm calling this one a fluke. A sexy fluke, but a fluke nonetheless. I've been trying to establish the accuracy I can wring out of this gun, and this is far and away the best I've done yet.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Default Re: My Ruger MKIII HATES CCI Standard Velocity Ammo. HUH?

Shoot the same group one handed with your MKIII at 50ft and we will talk! LOL Seriously though, my MKIII has no issue with the CCI. Does it gum up around the stupid loaded chamber indicator?
    Jules

(Berks County)

My MK III has no problems with CCI Standard

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Shoot the same group one handed with your MKIII at 50ft and we will talk! LOL Seriously though, my MKIII has no issue with the CCI. Does it gum up around the stupid loaded chamber indicator?
    Jules
    No, it just seems to mess with the mags. They get gunk in them and won't feed strongly enough. It's strange.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JMIS View Post
    My MK III has no problems with CCI Standard
    I'm starting to wonder if I got an extra special batch.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Shoot the same group one handed with your MKIII at 50ft and we will talk!
    Jules
    I wish. I bought a bunch of 50 foot slow fire pistol targets the other day to see how I'd fair. Not well, I can tell you that much.

(Bucks County)

My Mark III was incredibly reliable when I bought it. It would feed and spit out anything I put through it with only an occasional jam.

As time went on, jams and problems became more and more frequent. Finally I was jamming nearly every other round. I'd get 3 or more jams on a 10 round magazine.

I started doing reading since my Mark III was (and probably still is) one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Other people had problems with the LCI (loaded chamber indicator) knocking the bullet out of place. This problem is made worse if the LCI is allowed to get dirty. How can it not? It is a serious pain to clean.

I decided to remove the LCI as I had nothing left to lose and my gun was jamming so frequently it was no longer fun to shoot.

After removing the LCI, it was like night and day. No more jams. Period. I haven't had a jam in thousands of rounds. The gun jammed more brand new and clean from the factory than it does now. Everything feeds nicely and ejects even better than originally.

I used to get a jam where the ejecting shell would get up and behind the loading bullet and that would require me to drop the mag, eject the now deformed bullet and remove the offending shell. No more of that.

Try removing the LCI. It is easy enough to reinstall should you decide it is not the problem or at least part of it.

The easiest way to remove the pin that holds the LCI in place is with a strong magnet.

While you are opening the gun up, drop in the volquartsen target sear. I don't really have anything bad to say about any of the volquartsen products.

-Zach

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    My Mark III was incredibly reliable when I bought it. It would feed and spit out anything I put through it with only an occasional jam.

As time went on, jams and problems became more and more frequent. Finally I was jamming nearly every other round. I'd get 3 or more jams on a 10 round magazine.

I started doing reading since my Mark III was (and probably still is) one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Other people had problems with the LCI (loaded chamber indicator) knocking the bullet out of place. This problem is made worse if the LCI is allowed to get dirty. How can it not? It is a serious pain to clean.

I decided to remove the LCI as I had nothing left to lose and my gun was jamming so frequently it was no longer fun to shoot.

After removing the LCI, it was like night and day. No more jams. Period. I haven't had a jam in thousands of rounds. The gun jammed more brand new and clean from the factory than it does now. Everything feeds nicely and ejects even better than originally.

I used to get a jam where the ejecting shell would get up and behind the loading bullet and that would require me to drop the mag, eject the now deformed bullet and remove the offending shell. No more of that.

Try removing the LCI. It is easy enough to reinstall should you decide it is not the problem or at least part of it.

The easiest way to remove the pin that holds the LCI in place is with a strong magnet.

While you are opening the gun up, drop in the volquartsen target sear. I don't really have anything bad to say about any of the volquartsen products.

-Zach
    I've thought about it, just on principal. Did you replace it with anything? Or do you just have a hole in the side of your gun? I'd love to see pics.

(Chester County)

My MKIII 22/45 eats anything I feed it. I think I've had less than a dozen FTF or FTE's over the tens of thousands of rounds through it. I clean it after every shoot.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Delaware County)

I have heard of other guys taking the LCI out as a route cause of malfunctions.
    I heard other guys say, keep it clean.

BTW, shooting one handed just takes a little practice. One guy told me, keep practicing. He was right!
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast