Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Thumbs down What the Sullivan County Sheriffs office just told me.

YOU MAY NOT CARRY A WEAPON NO MATTER YOUR AGE BE IT CONCEALED OR OPEN CARRY LEGALLY WITHOUT A CCW LICENSE. And sheriffs can no longer do handgun transfers only long guns. They said the following cut from the 'READ FIRST:Where you CAN and CANNOT...' Thread is illegal

===============

Open carry:
    If you can own a firearm, you may lawfully openly carry it on foot without a license. Except in a City of the First Class(1 million residents), you are required to have a license. Philly is the ONLY First Class city in PA, the next largest city, Pittsburgh, is about 550,000 residents away from being one.

===============

Ages to purchase or own a firearm:

Handguns, Pistols, Revolvers:
    1. 21 to buy one from a FFL-------This is still ok, left in so you would see nothing has been altered.
    2a. 18 if given or purchasing one from a parent or grandparent. No paperwork necessary
    2b. 18 if given or purchasing from any other person who lawfully owns the handgun, BUT it must be transfered through a SHERIFF. FFL's can only use the instant background check for firearms that they have listed in their bound books - and for you to receive it from the FFL you must be 21. Since Sheriffs aren't required to do such - they may use the instant check required by PA law to do the transfer.**Said Sheriffs absolutely CANNOT do this!

I am sorry, I know I am new to the site but from everything thing I have been looking up and researching was just shot full of holes and left to wither away. This may be common knowledge or maybe the person I spoke to is not the brightest bulb in the bunch. Please someone do correct me if this is wrong. I would very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by icp4life162005; November 7th, 2007 at 12:17 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: What the Sullivan County cheriffs office just told me.

Very few LEO's or Sheriffs actually know the Unified Firearms Act in its entirety. When in doubt read the UFA yourself, ask us here, or call a lawyer who knows the firearm laws.

Just a quick example, i was recently told by the guy behind the counter at Dicks (yea i know...) that open carry was illegal in PA unless a LEO. I just smiled and politely corrected him. He acted like he didn't care what i said or knew what he said was a lie...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Montgomery County)

I have read some of the UFA myself and it is a bit confusing.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I have read some of the UFA myself and it is a bit confusing.
    That it is... as with all government documents it seems...

A good summary is the PA Gun Rights Flyer posted in this forum section at the top. I should have mentioned that before lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Montgomery County)

I have read that also. I have just gotton off the phone with the Sheriff. Turns out I was talking to the Sheriff's Deputy even though I requested the Sheriff himself. He told me that I am able to legally own a handgun at the age of 18(which I am). He also said that I can open carry BUT I will most likely but stopped and arrested for intimidation with a handgun, which I believe he said is a Felony. He said my best bet would be a Sportsmans concealed carry license. I am going to look into that.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    He also said that I can open carry BUT I will most likely but stopped and arrested for intimidation with a handgun, which I believe he said is a Felony. He said my best bet would be a Sportsmans concealed carry license. I am going to look into that.
    There is no such charge in Pennsylvania, it simply cannot be done.

(Luzerne County)

Call the sheriff back and tell him first that there is no such things as "intimidation with a firearm" in PA.

Second, a person merely walking or standing with a firearm is NOT illegal. Tell him to do some rearch into case law on the subject, or provide him with the flyer thats been posted on here.

Also tell him a Sportsmans license is only good when you are actually hunting, fishing or trapping and is NOT a "concealed" license like the normal LTC.

Hokkmike Guest

It doesn't sound like something Burton would say. You sure you got it right from him?

(Luzerne County)

The UFA is actually quite short and very clear in comparison to many other laws.
    Don't loose focus because some ELECTED sheriff, whom is likely totally ignorant that the UFA even exists, tels you some BS. From the reports on this board a large number of sheriffs (the issuing authority for LTCF's) are completely ignorant about CC and OC laws. Don't sweat it as they and their deputies are not the folks your going to encounter on the street. They mostly guard the courthouse, transport prisoners and serve warrants.

Anyway...

I will be siding a copy of the Open Carry Training Memo to Sullivan County Sheriff next day or two.
    As well as the gun rights flyer

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Northampton County)

Steve in Pa is again 100% correct in his statement.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast