Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Learning to shoot: irons or red dot

I just purchased my first handgun (u22 neos) and have probably only shoot ~700 rounds in my life time. My question is...

When learning to shoot a handgun is it better to start with iron sights or red dot?

I have read different things...the great shooters use iron signts, once you use a red dot its hard to go back, its good to learn with a red dot so you can focus on grip, stance, and trigger control, etc...

Which is these is correct and what is the best way to learn how to shoot a handgun accurately?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Learning to shoot: irons or red dot

I am by no means an expert but when learning to shoot a rifle or handgun I was taught to use iron sights. The reason is you want your grip, stance, and trigger control to work in conjunction with your sight alignment and picture.

I found transitioning to a different sighting device such as a scope or red dot is much easier with all the basics down including the use of the iron sights.

(Philadelphia County)

I replaced the Hunter sights (Hi Viz) on my Ruger Mark 22/45 with iron sights. The Hi Viz sights work well when there are good light conditions.

(Jefferson County)

Start out with irons first. Using scopes or red-dots may promote "lazy aiming"* which could may using irons later more difficult to learn. ...sorta the same theory of starting out on an automatic transmission making learning a manual more difficult. Use scopes for necessity first, convenience second, and all other reasons last - start out on irons then work to using scopes for further ranges.

*"lazy aiming" - a term coined by my dad when I was growing up for those who are more just trigger pullers than real shooters. As odd as it may sound, I have witnessed it with people I've taught to shoot.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

What happens if you red dot goes kaput? If you have learned using iron sights then no problem. I would recommend learning to shoot with open sights (iron sights) on any gun that you want to shoot, even rifles. Again, what is going to happen if the optics fail (batteries go dead, you slip and fall and your scope gets broken, etc.), you can still shoot with the open sights, unless of course, your rifle is a scope only configuration, and even then, if you were well trained on use of open sights you could still probably make a relatively accurate shot at a closer distance. I think it's telling that you see most ARs, even with high dollar, very dependable optics mounted, they still have a BUIS (back up iron sight).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I say shoot with irons and learn that way.
    Last edited by ksig1869; October 4th, 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: grammar

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    What happens if you red dot goes kaput? If you have learned using iron sights then no problem. I would recommend learning to shoot with open sights (iron sights) on any gun that you want to shoot, even rifles. Again, what is going to happen if the optics fail (batteries go dead, you slip and fall and your scope gets broken, etc.), you can still shoot with the open sights, unless of course, your rifle is a scope only configuration, and even then, if you were well trained on use of open sights you could still probably make a relatively accurate shot at a closer distance. I think it's telling that you see most ARs, even with high dollar, very dependable optics mounted, they still have a BUIS (back up iron sight).
    This is the practical answer. And the correct one IMO. Learn to use the sights, batteries die, stuff happens, but it's hard to break iron sights. (Usually). Once you've figured them out and can shoot well with them go pick up a $40 or $50 red dot and plink away to your hearts content. It does make target acquisition quick and easy. I really enjoyed shooting with my red dot on my rifles and my .22 pistol, but I left the dumb thing on and the battery died so I've been shooting irons ever since! (Those stupid hearing aid batteries are a pain to find...)

Learn to be proficient with the sights. Then if you feel you'd like it, or want to, go get a red dot. It's a different kind of shooting, for sure.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Susquehanna County)

You would probably be better served learning with iron sights if you have normal vision or vision that can be corrected to normal with glasses, at least as long as you're able to focus on the front sight.

Red dots really help guys at the stage where their arms are getting too short for them to read the newspaper. In other words when their eyes have trouble focusing at near distances. But, in order for the red dot to "work" well you must "shoot" it just like it was your front sight and all of the basics of stance, grip, trigger control ect. must be properly applied.

I've probably said this a dozen times here, but, concentrate on learning the basics and apply them correctly everytime you practice. The best source for the basics that I can think of is the U.S. Army Marksmanship Training Unit "Pistol Marksmanship Manual". It is available at www.bullseyepistol.com pay special attention to the part that discusses "minimum arc of movement". If you have any questions just come back here and ask them.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

I vote for iron sights. For one, iron sights are much more forgiving. You are not able to "see" your range of wobble with them as you can with a red dot. I shoot a great deal of pistol rounds every week and can personally attest to that. I went to a red dot on a .22 that I use in NRA Bullseye, and it took a bit to get used to it. The good part was, I already was comfortable with my stance, grip, trigger press, breathing etc...Looking through a red dot or crossed hair scope on a pistol for the first time at a bull 25 yards out can be intimidating. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to not have any wobble. You have to train your brain to your wobble and get the shot to break when the hair or dot is in the middle of the bull. The iron will LOOK much more steady. In reality it is moving the same. Now I am rambling....
    Jules

(Delaware County)

^^^^^^^^^^
    What they said. Enjoy your new shooter!

As Brick said, I know my iron sight days are coming to an end in the near future.....{frown}
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast