Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Butcher yourself or butcher shop what do you do?

Talkin deer hunting just wondered butcher your own or butcher shop. Also how much do you pay for the service.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Butcher yourself or butcher shop what do you do?

Always butcher myself. Not real hard, but probably best to have someone teach/show you first time.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Monroe County)

Do our own, started last year and its pretty easy and saves a TON of money
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

I butcher myself(the deer actually). I was going to ask dredly what he does so I decided to ask everyone. It interested me what people do when they are successful and how much it cost. These days budgets are tighter than usual. Also you can post any tips you have or someone can ask a question guys here will answer.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    I butcher myself(the deer actually). I was going to ask dredly what he does so I decided to ask everyone. It interested me what people do when they are successful and how much it cost. These days budgets are tighter than usual. Also you can post any tips you have or someone can ask a question guys here will answer.
    When we were getting it done by the professional it would cost between 75 - 100 to have the whole thing ground and packaged, we mix the venison with pork (normally 30% pork)

now we get the pork for .89 / pound from a local butcher, I buy the freezer bags online. We can normally do our own (depending on size) in about 3 hours?, give or take, less if we have more people doing it. Still working up the nerve to skin it "the fast way"... should cut another 30 mins off the time :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

From the other post I guess the numbers are fresh in your mind. $90 is a good gauge for what people are paying right now.

(Chester County)

Butcher my own.

(Butler County)

DIY easy. I got a buck at 715 am, had him in the freezer cut up and was back from the beer store at 11.10 am. This was by myself and I can cut my own size steaks and bring the rest to a butcher for bolgna, jerky ect. Plus the proud factor is way cool!

(Jefferson County)

If its cold enough we will butcher our own. Except when we get 3 or more deer combined between my uncle, a cousin, and myself. ...then we will take the "overload" to a local butcher. If it's too warm to hang a deer or two we will have the local guy take care of the carving.

If we do the butchering, everyone of the party helps out.

Our local guy charges $60+pelt for a base butcher job. If you want some special cuts or bologna/sausage/jerky from the meats prices go up.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

I have always taken mine to a butcher to process. I would like to learn to do it myself just haven't had someone teach me. I assume it couldn't be very hard to do.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast