Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Help! I want a shotgun but know nothing!

As the title suggest, I want a shotgun but know nothing about them.

I primarily want something for shooting clays and have it in my head that I want either a single or double barrel shotgun (o/u or side x side), but either way, I think I want a break open.

I'm also thinking 12 gauge as I'd like to be able to take advantage of readily available and cheap shells (like 100 round federal bulk packs).

I also don't want to spend a fortune on a gun that I know will not get as much use as say a .22 pistol or rifle. I'd ideally like to keep the price below 300$ (used is preferred).

The problem is, I wouldn't know a good shotgun from a junk shotgun. What should I be looking for in a shotgun? Sometimes when I pick up used break open shotguns, the fit between the barrel and the stock seems a bit loose as though the hinge is loose. That seems bad to me.

Also, what is the story with chokes? What about different size shells? What is standard? Is it sort of like how a .357 magnum can shoot 38 special but a 38 special can't shoot .357 magnum?

Buckshot versus slugs? Different barrels?

I hate to admit it, but shotguns have me so confused.

Please educate me! Thank you very much in advance!

-Zach

Default Re: Help! I want a shotgun but know nothing!

You need books to find out about shotguns. 12ga, 26 to 30 in barrel, 7 1/2 or 8 shot, choke can be anything but full (I shoot a lot of Cylinder and Skeet), and not many under $300. Stoeger Condor's are $399 to $599. Good, plain guns and great for starting or if you don't want to use it a lot. I've go a 12 ga with over 10,000 rounds through it. Look for a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I primarily want something for shooting clays and have it in my head that I want either a single or double barrel shotgun (o/u or side x side), but either way, I think I want a break open.
    Any reason you're not not considering a pump shotgun?

I'm also thinking 12 gauge as I'd like to be able to take advantage of readily available and cheap shells (like 100 round federal bulk packs).
    Any non-semi shotgun should have no problems with the bulk pack shells.

I'd ideally like to keep the price below 300$ (used is preferred).
    I know you're looking at break-action shotguns, but I picked up a used Remington 870 (pump) 12 gauge with a 26" barrel 2 months ago for $175 out the door. It looked absolutely brand new, and if I had to replace anything, 870 parts are plentiful and cheap, and they're easy shotguns to work on.

The problem is, I wouldn't know a good shotgun from a junk shotgun. What should I be looking for in a shotgun? Sometimes when I pick up used break open shotguns, the fit between the barrel and the stock seems a bit loose as though the hinge is loose. That seems bad to me.
    Shotguns don't have particularly complex mechanisms, other than some semiautos. If a break-action shotgun locks up tight, it shouldn't have any issues.

Also, what is the story with chokes? What about different size shells? What is standard? Is it sort of like how a .357 magnum can shoot 38 special but a 38 special can't shoot .357 magnum?
    Not quite. You choose the choke for the intended job. There isn't really a standard choke, but they most often come with an "Improved Cylinder" choke. Some shotguns include a set of chokes; some don't include any chokes at all.

The general rule of thumb is that the farther you expect to shoot, the tighter the choke you want. The shot won't travel any farther, but the shot pattern will stay tighter for a longer distance. Tighter chokes also require a greater degree of skill on the shooter's part.

Buckshot versus slugs? Different barrels?
    If you're primarily going to shoot clays, buckshot and slugs don't matter. You can shoot buckshot and slugs out of smoothbore barrels, and you can also shoot buckshot and slugs from a rifled barrel. Slugs will be more accurate from a rifled barrel, but a buckshot pattern will be different from a rifled barrel than that from a smoothbore barrel.

My advice is to get a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 (both pump actions) for your first shotgun. They're very reliable, cheap, and simple to operate. They can be adapted inexpensively to do just about any sort of shotgun shooting that you want to do, whether it be breaking clays with your buddies, hunting deer or turkey, shooting skeet, or 3-gun competitions. I might also add that a pump shotgun is a great home defense gun.

Seeing as you're in lower Bucks County, give a call to Tanner's Sport Center in Jamison to ask what cheap, used shotguns they have in stock that are in good shape.

I was a shotgun noob myself! I've since graduated that class though I still have allot to learn to get my shotty degree.

I've got the Remmy 12 gauge 870 28" pump. I love this gun! Its versatile, easy to use and so very easy to swap out parts for whatever task you need it for. A pump shotty is awesome fun! Nothing like a pump shotty!

Its so easy even a girl can do it! I've taken my shotty completely apart to modify it, using the "F" word only twice. So simple to put it back together, even a man can do it.

I love a pump so much I've decided to get another one! The new one will of course be tailored for me and my size, much like its brother is, with only a few differences. The new boy will have some shiny furniture, a bit of bling and that dreaded tax stamp.

(Bucks County)

If you just want it to shoot clays get an auto or O/U.

Barrel length and length of pull are the keys

Get a gun with screw in chokes

If you get an auto make sure it shoots light loads

DO NOT GET A PUMP FOR SHOOTING CLAYS IF YOU EVER WANT TO PROGRESS PUMPS ARE NOT THE WAY TO GO

Do not go to Dicks sporting goods. Go to your local shop and they will assist you in purchasing something to shoot clays.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    DO NOT GET A PUMP FOR SHOOTING CLAYS IF YOU EVER WANT TO PROGRESS PUMPS ARE NOT THE WAY TO GO
    I hate taking this off topic....but since the op was talking about a versatile shotty, using it for hd and trap.......

Please educate me. If a pump is the gun you start out with and handle well, manage to stay accurate, why wouldn't you be able to progress with it?

(York County)

I know a little more about shotguns I think, but I am in the same boat you are about wanting to get into sporting clays. The over under is so popular (from what I can tell) in SpC because you can utilize two different chokes. Speedwise, the auto is better than a pump (for the average shooter), but it lacks the ability to chose which choke you want for the second shot.

So, say the first clay you shoot is flying away from you, with the barrel that has the more open choke (so you have a higher percentage of hit potential, think-first shot close with a large cloud of shot). The second clay is probably going to be even further away from you on the second shot, so you want that tighter choked barrel since you need the birdshot to hang together more, as the birdshot travels more it is going to spread further and would be pretty dispersed with the more 'open' choke, and thus a chance that even dead on aim would not break the clay.

And conversly, if the first clay that you shoot at is further than the second, you can use the switch on the break-open type shottie to use the tighter choke first.

All part of the sport

Last time out I got 21/50 with my 590A1, talk about using the wrong tool for the job , but still lots of fun!
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; October 3rd, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Best option is to go to a club that has trap or skeet, bring some ammo, and talk to the people there. You will gain a LOT of insight about what to look for, and get to touch (and probably shoot) a wide variety of guns.

However, I think every person should have a pump action (Remington 870 of Mossberg 500) as their first shotgun. They are cheap, reliable, and very versatile. A lot of people will hate on pumps if you mention sporting clays, but I think it is a good place to start. No, you won't win the NSCA national title with it, but that's not what you want to do (yet). Upgrade once you know what you like. In the mean time, put the leftover money to LOTS of practice.

Also, those pumps are great if you ever want to get into waterfowl hunting. that is no place for a nice O/U (unless you have more money than brains).

Personally, I started with a Mossy 500, then went for a Beretta 391 (had a CD semi for a while...bad decision). If you want a semi, I recommend the 391. With minimal maintenance, mine has served me well for the past two years / 20,000 shells, and I expect it to last much, much longer. And the 500 still sees a lot of use for waterfowl and deer (with the slug barrel).

Two final thoughts:
    1) Clay target is addicting...you have been warned
    2) You aim a rifle, you point a shotgun

(Centre County)

find a nice 12ga autoloader with a minimum 28" barrel length. Forget pumps completely if you're going to shoot sporting clays or skeet. You will need to spend at least $1200 for a decent O/U, a Browning or a Beretta. Anything less is junk. Take a look at your local Walmart, they usually have a 12ga Beretta 390 on sale most of the time for $500 bucks or so. You will find no better deal or gun for overall shooting...
    Last edited by Slugo; October 3rd, 2010 at 10:01 PM.

(Bucks County)

Since you are in Bensalem, a great place to go is Johnson's Auto Parts and Guns in Croydon. It is at the intersection of State and Cedar Roads (710 State Road) in Croydon.

The place has been there for probably 80 years and the family still owns it. They have new and used guns, They normally have a lot of new and used shotguns there in stock, along with many supplies. They are very knowledgeable and friendly.

I bought my first clay pigeon thrower from there when I was 12, 38 years ago.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast