Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Crappy Ammo does have an UP side ;)

Over the summer I went to Cableas and the wife and I picked up a case of 9mm Herters ammo that was on sale.

I have had good luck in using Wolf steel cased ammo for practice, and thought I would have the same luck in using Herters 9mm steel cased ammo.

Boy was I wrong......

I have been teaching her basic marksman skills. Grip and trigger pull on her Smith 3913 that she picked out. Using the Wolf steel cased ammo I had time to also work on her mag changes and jam clearing drills.

I did the mag changes with empty mags first, and the jam clearing drills with fired cases. I simulated stove pipe and FTF jams and showed her how to deal with them.

With the Wolf ammo she was getting very good in the mag changes, and the jam clears with the empty cases.

Then we got this Herter's crap

I loaded up 5 mags for her and in the first box I found one round that the bullet was seated on an angle. I figured no biggie and we began to fire.

She was doing a reload and weapon had a fail to feed. She dropped the mag, racked the slide several times and grabbed a fresh mag. This 3rd mag ran and we took a time out.

I checked the round that choked, and the round felt funny where the bullet was seated in the case. It seemed thicker there for some reason.

I reviewed with her grip and trigger pull. With the gun empty we worked on grip and stance a bit, and went over where her rounds wher hitting.

Then back to the live fire.

She loaded a fresh mag and the first round again did a FTF.

Again, without missing a beat she did a jam clear.

Gotta love her

So far after going through most of the case of 1k rounds she has either had to deal with FTF jams or rounds NOT going off when the trigger was pulled. I would put this at over 100 rounds of what has been fired so far.

With the Wolf ammo, again shooting 1000 rounds of it, there were NO FTF jams and only a few rounds not going off when hit.

Anyone else would have stopped and gave up, but not her

So on an upside, there is an advantge of shooting crappy ammo.

It has taught her, in advance of my self imposed schedule, how to calmly deal with FTF jams, and get back into the fight.

Now I'm wondering how the 500 rounds of 308 and 2k rounds of 223 Herter's ammo we bought that day will perform

Next gun show I'm going to I just have one thing to say....

Make mine Wolf
    gotta love her ;)

Default Re: Crappy Ammo does have an UP side ;)

I have picked up 45 acp and 30 carbine in herters and have great luck with both. no ftf or fte.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Philadelphia County)

I think "Herters" is same stuff as Wolf ie. they are both rebranded Russian ammo coming out of Tula or Ulyanovsk or one of those factories. What does the headstamp say?

(Montgomery County)

Nice, Keep up the good work, now if I could only get my girlfriend to even go to the range with me...

As for the ammo, I've shot wolf in my brand new AR to see if it would eat it... NOPE, then continued to shoot with federal until it was broken in, then shot wolf through it and it worked... But the "TULA" branded stuff would FTE and FTF. Thank god I only bought 2 boxes of it and not 1,000rds.

The head stamp on both the .45 and 30 carbine was Ulyanovsk symbol.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Does your wife have a screen name on here? If so we need to send her some rep. The lady just learned an important lesson and stuck it out when a lot of people would have given up in frustration. If she doesn't, tell her she gets a thumbs up from me.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Does your wife have a screen name on here? If so we need to send her some rep. The lady just learned an important lesson and stuck it out when a lot of people would have given up in frustration. If she doesn't, tell her she gets a thumbs up from me.
    TY

Her sn here is mrs gold cup.

Will pass on your encouragement to her
    gotta love her ;)