Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Young kids, strange dogs and clearing leather.

Quote Originally Posted by ksimon View Post
    Ok neat, kill or injure someone's pet because you're too afraid to attempt other measures. I hope to one day be as macho as you guys. Have a great night!
    No. "Afraid to attempt other means" is bullshit .

A. You are accusing us of cowardice. Dick move, N00b.

2nd. Dogs are dangerous. Read the news for a while.

3. Nobody in this thread has actually shot a dog in self defense.. however we have deterred dog attacks with guns.

5thly. In addition to accusing us of being cowards, you got all but butthurt when you got called out on your attitude.

Suggest you read more, think more analytically, and type less until your skilz improve.

Welcome to PAFOA!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

A man or woman whose first reaction to an encounter with a dog is to draw a gun is in my opinion a coward. No attitude apart from valuing a life, PAFOA apparently is not a place to have differing opinions. Vast majority are harmless but yea shoot dogs if that's what you need to do. My gun is a last resort not a first option. Thanks for the warm welcome gentlemen, as already stated I'll keep to looking for a g34 on this thing. Leave you guys to the agreeing with everything each other says stuff

(Lancaster County)

Please point to where anyone said their first reaction was to pull a gun and shoot the dog.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post

I wouldnt shoot a dog unless an attack was imminent. If it was coming at me, I'd probably try kicking it in the head first. Really really hard!

I might be getting old and fat but I still have my cat-like reflexes.

I'd do the same. One more reason to wear work boots everywhere you go.

I've never been attacked by a dog, but I've had to pull a few of ours apart while fighting years ago. I figure an average man could knock out a dog in an emergency w/o shooting it, but maybe I'm wrong.

(Wayne County)

A man or woman whose first reaction to an encounter with a dog is to draw a gun is in my opinion a coward. No attitude apart from valuing a life, PAFOA apparently is not a place to have differing opinions. Vast majority are harmless but yea shoot dogs if that's what you need to do. My gun is a last resort not a first option. Thanks for the warm welcome gentlemen, as already stated I'll keep to looking for a g34 on this thing. Leave you guys to the agreeing with everything each other says stuff
    Spoken like one who has never been attacked by a dog/dogs.

And if you bother to stick around for a while you'll actually see just how tolerant of differing opinions this place can be, provided that the opinions are substantiated and supportable. Or you can find a forum where everyone holds the same opinion and conversation is dull and unnecessary.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason O View Post
    I'd do the same. One more reason to wear work boots everywhere you go.

I've never been attacked by a dog, but I've had to pull a few of ours apart while fighting years ago. I figure an average man could knock out a dog in an emergency w/o shooting it, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I always thought that I'd be able to get my lockblade knife out of my pocket in time if I ever needed to defend myself with it. Yet when the two dogs attacked me, I never had time to even reach for it because I was too busy trying to hold the dogs off to keep them from biting me while backpedaling to try to get away.

It happened WAY faster than I would have thought possible considering there was no hint that they were going to attack.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

If you've been bit 3 times, maybe common sense might require you to learn dog body language but what do I know. Bullshit stat was a comparison of number of reported dog bites in the US last year to total US population, so probably not too inaccurate. But do what you're gonna do man, just my two cents.
    Seriously, you're blaming Streaker for getting bit by wild dogs? What about the kids in the car seats, did they use bad dog etiquette too?

Not every dog is an innocent pet. Many are pets but trained poorly. I had a Pitbull barrel in from across the street and front yard, chase my wife and kids back into the house. I came out and gave him some stern commands and he backed off, but I had my hand on my pistol the whole time. If he came at me, he wouldn't have made it to me.

So tell me what my family did to offend the dog?

A charging dog in a known-dangerous breed IS a threat. No one here is talking about shooting friendly dogs just for looking at you. We're talking about protecting ourselves and our families WHEN there is a real threat to their safety. I am not waiting until the dog has my kids in its jaws to stop it.

I love dogs. My while family does and we'd probably be shaken up if not traumatized if I had to kill one, but my family and my health and safety comes first.

And stop making up stats. It kills any chance of you having a valid argument.

Welcome to the forum. Have a great day.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Bucks County)

If you've been bit 3 times, maybe common sense might require you to learn dog body language but what do I know.
    Not very much, in this case at least.

I prefer the company of dogs to most humans, and my body language probably resembles that of dogs more than people. I'm pretty familiar with it.

If a dog isn't acting in a friendly way, I won't trust it. That doesn't mean I'm going for my gun, I'm just not turning my back on it or letting it get between me and my family.

Reading a dog's body language isn't an exact science either. Like people, dogs are individuals. Can you tell every person that may be a threat just by looking at them?

Some dogs attack unprovoked without any warning. There ain't no reading it, just reacting to it.

I assess the threat of every dog on an individual basis, just like I do with people. Some get my hackles up more than others and move my defcon level right off the bat. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm gonna treat them like Philando Castille.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I assess the threat of every dog on an individual basis, just like I do with people. Some get my hackles up more than others and move my defcon level right off the bat. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm gonna treat them like Philando Castille.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Great law to reference but is it still valid? See point (d).
    § 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

(b) Private nuisance.--Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.

(c) Licensed dogs not included.--Licensed dogs, when accompanied by their owner or handler, shall not be included under the provisions of this section unless caught in the act of pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing any dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings.

(d) Repealed. 1990, May 31, P.L. 213, No. 46, effective in 60 days.

Only subsection d was repealed by Act 46 of 1990. All the other section above it are still current law.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast