Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Young kids, strange dogs and clearing leather.

Quote Originally Posted by ksimon View Post
    Food/treats, don't make eye contact, don't approach it, don't make sudden movements if it approaches you, if you feel threatened back away and leave, loud noises to scare it off. If you are able to get close enough, check for tags and call the owner or animal control. A dog will give you a warning before it attacks... so many options apart from shooting a likely terrified animal. Dogs are pack animals, natural followers, not aggressive by nature. I have two male pit mixes and yes they would die for me, but neither would ever approach a stranger on strange territory aggressively unless provoked and fearful. Put your guns away, gentlemen. Not every circumstance requires such extreme measures. Imagine your kids seeing you shoot a dog that essentially did nothing wrong.
    There's a couple of kids down here in Lancaster that disagree with your assessment of dogs. They were attacked without provocation in any way. The dog entered a car that the 2yr old girl was sitting in and attacked her while she was strapped in.

My kids know that if I shoot a dog, it isn't because it didn't do anything wrong.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Obviously I'm not suggesting kindness to a dog mauling a toddler. That said, you have probably about a 1% chance of being bitten by a dog. I don't think it's necessary to draw my weapon at every loose dog I see. The overwhelming majority are friendly and just lost. If there is any alternative possible, it should be explored before the use of deadly force.

(Lancaster County)

Obviously I'm not suggesting kindness to a dog mauling a toddler. That said, you have probably about a 1% chance of being bitten by a dog. I don't think it's necessary to draw my weapon at every loose dog I see. The overwhelming majority are friendly and just lost. If there is any alternative possible, it should be explored before the use of deadly force.
    I've been bit 3 times by dogs, not once did I provoke them so I guess I beat your bullshit stat of 1% chance of being bitten. I didn't see anyone here suggesting to draw at every loose dog either. I'm not required by law to know dog body language and understand what their intentions are, but you as a dog owner are required by law to maintain control of your animal at all times, lest bad things happen to it.

I have also picked up 3 lost dogs and delivered them the appropriate authorities.

(Bucks County)

I was bitten by three dogs of people we knew when I was little. I still love dogs, and am not intimidated by them.

I wouldnt shoot a dog unless an attack was imminent. If it was coming at me, I'd probably try kicking it in the head first. Really really hard!

I might be getting old and fat but I still have my cat-like reflexes.

Plus, most dogs seem to love me for some reason. They very rarely take a defensive or aggressive posture with me. They mostly just want to play.

(Allegheny County)

If you've been bit 3 times, maybe common sense might require you to learn dog body language but what do I know. Bullshit stat was a comparison of number of reported dog bites in the US last year to total US population, so probably not too inaccurate. But do what you're gonna do man, just my two cents.

(Lancaster County)

If you've been bit 3 times, maybe common sense might require you to learn dog body language but what do I know. Bullshit stat was a comparison of number of reported dog bites in the US last year to total US population, so probably not too inaccurate. But do what you're gonna do man, just my two cents.
    Blame victims often? Two of the times was when I was a kid, the one broke it's leash and chased me. The other time was as a teen when the owners said 'oh it's friendly' and then it proceeded to take a piece out of my finger.

You sound like some people that commented on the article about the two kids, basically blaming the kids for the dog mauling them.

As I said, it isn't my job to know your dogs intentions, but it's your job to keep your dog under control, it's that simple. Plus, much like humans, body language isn't consistent across the population. Many cultures have different body language, that get interpreted well in our culture. Same as dogs, not all dogs exhibit aggressive body language, some will attack while appearing to be friendly.

(Delaware County)

Food/treats, don't make eye contact, don't approach it, don't make sudden movements if it approaches you, if you feel threatened back away and leave, loud noises to scare it off. If you are able to get close enough, check for tags and call the owner or animal control. A dog will give you a warning before it attacks... so many options apart from shooting a likely terrified animal. Dogs are pack animals, natural followers, not aggressive by nature. I have two male pit mixes and yes they would die for me, but neither would ever approach a stranger on strange territory aggressively unless provoked and fearful. Put your guns away, gentlemen. Not every circumstance requires such extreme measures. Imagine your kids seeing you shoot a dog that essentially did nothing wrong.
    Sure I'm gonna carry food treats for dogs running at large.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Sure I'm gonna carry food treats for dogs running at large.
    I carry pepper spray instead of treats. The gun is secondary if the pepper spray doesn't stop them.

(Allegheny County)

Ok neat, kill or injure someone's pet because you're too afraid to attempt other measures. I hope to one day be as macho as you guys. Have a great night!

(Bucks County)

Ok neat, kill or injure someone's pet because you're too afraid to attempt other measures. I hope to one day be as macho as you guys. Have a great night!
    It's not a person's job to control another's unrestrained dog. If you love your pet, do everyone, including your dog a favor, and keep it under control.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast