Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Young kids, strange dogs and clearing leather.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Fixed it for ya!
    Syntax nazi!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Syntax nazi!
    hahaha !!!

(Beaver County)

I had just hooked up the utility trailer to the Jeep so we could fetch some lawn furniture from a picnic grove to which we belong.
    Glad to hear nobody got hurt. It's hard to tell what dogs are thinking, sometimes.

I'd like to hear more about the "picnic grove to which we belong". Is this some sort of club? I've never heard of anything like that.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    I'd like to hear more about the "picnic grove to which we belong". Is this some sort of club? I've never heard of anything like that.
    It really isn't that interesting. It's a little private picnic grove about 15 miles outside of Scranton that's been around since the 50s. A couple hundred bucks a year gets you your own picnic table, access to a 3 or 4 acre swimming lake, basketball/tennis courts, a pavillion, small rec-hall/snack shack. It's a nice little place where you can bring your chairs/grills/fire rings/etc. and hang out, grill, let the kids swim (w/ lifeguards), catch frogs, fish, play and generally be kids. Hayrides. Shaving cream fights.

No one messes w/ your stuff. The kids always have other kids to play with. My wife has other moms to BS with. One day you may not see your kids all day and the next you may be feeding 6 kids that aren't yours. It's like having a really cool neighborhood but, it just isn't in our neighborhood.

And they only take a limited number of families each year on a first come, first served basis. Nothing exclusive. (Hell, they let me in didn't they!) It's kind of like a ghetto Kennebunkport. But, we like it.

It'd be a pain in the ass to get to regularly from Darlington, though.

(Beaver County)

It really isn't that interesting. It's a little private picnic grove about 15 miles outside of Scranton that's been around since the 50s. A couple hundred bucks a year gets you your own picnic table, access to a 3 or 4 acre swimming lake, basketball/tennis courts, a pavillion, small rec-hall/snack shack. It's a nice little place where you can bring your chairs/grills/fire rings/etc. and hang out, grill, let the kids swim (w/ lifeguards), catch frogs, fish, play and generally be kids. Hayrides. Shaving cream fights.

No one messes w/ your stuff. The kids always have other kids to play with. My wife has other moms to BS with. One day you may not see your kids all day and the next you may be feeding 6 kids that aren't yours. It's like having a really cool neighborhood but, it just isn't in our neighborhood.

And they only take a limited number of families each year on a first come, first served basis. Nothing exclusive. (Hell, they let me in didn't they!) It's kind of like a ghetto Kennebunkport. But, we like it.

It'd be a pain in the ass to get to regularly from Darlington, though.
    Sounds pretty cool. I've never heard of that, but we've done similar things at campgrounds.

Maybe I'll devote some acreage to a picnic club. With a rifle and pistol range, of course!

Thanks for the info.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Warren County)

Necro-threading here.

Neighbor's dog started visiting my compost heap. I told him to scram and he gave me attitude, barking pretty aggressively.

I strapped on the .38 special and went back out to have a serious discussion with the canine bully.
    My dogs were there,but he was alpha to them, so they were backed way off.

I explained he needed to shag ass back home and he got a little more aggressive. He was backing off, but slowly. Then he lowered his head and took a couple steps my way.
    I already had the piece out and at low ready.
    His second step, I put one into the ground in front of him.

He did a 180 and hauled ass back across the property line.

I called the neighbor and explained the situation. Turns out the batteries in his shock collar ( wireless fence) were dead ands he had no incentive to stay on his property.

They apologized and I explained that I didn't wanna kill him, but he's not welcome here. They thanked me for not shooting him and for calling.

Warning shot worked ... that time, on that dog.

I don't live in a town or boro or city, so gunfire is pretty common here, especially at my house.

Neighbor's cousin showed up a few weeks later with a load of wood. Dog bit him pretty bad on the leg and hand. I got a free load of wood outta that particular tragedy. Had to bandage his leg up, but it was a good deal for me.

That dog's had all his second chances as far as I'm concerned.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Necro-threading here.

Neighbor's dog started visiting my compost heap. I told him to scram and he gave me attitude, barking pretty aggressively.

I strapped on the .38 special and went back out to have a serious discussion with the canine bully.
    My dogs were there,but he was alpha to them, so they were backed way off.

I explained he needed to shag ass back home and he got a little more aggressive. He was backing off, but slowly. Then he lowered his head and took a couple steps my way.
    I already had the piece out and at low ready.
    His second step, I put one into the ground in front of him.

He did a 180 and hauled ass back across the property line.

I called the neighbor and explained the situation. Turns out the batteries in his shock collar ( wireless fence) were dead ands he had no incentive to stay on his property.

They apologized and I explained that I didn't wanna kill him, but he's not welcome here. They thanked me for not shooting him and for calling.

Warning shot worked ... that time, on that dog.

I don't live in a town or boro or city, so gunfire is pretty common here, especially at my house.

Neighbor's cousin showed up a few weeks later with a load of wood. Dog bit him pretty bad on the leg and hand. I got a free load of wood outta that particular tragedy. Had to bandage his leg up, but it was a good deal for me.

That dog's had all his second chances as far as I'm concerned.

Nice job of restraint. A properly trained dog wouldn't need to wear a shock collar until the battery ran out. Your neighbor and his dog are lucky.

Now let's talk a little about why you had to go back inside to strap on the .38 instead of having it on you in the first place. Your mother and I raised you better than that.

(Lancaster County)

I was looking for a thread like this because of an encounter I had over the weekend.

#1 and I were at the lake fishing from late afternoon to early evening. We were on our way in and we saw another guy working at his boat at the dock, but couldn't see what he was doing. Then a full grown pitbull came running up on the dock behind him, no leash, no collar, no human to control it. It ran off a couple minutes later, the guy made no sign that it was his dog.

We tied up to the dock and saw what the guy was doing, he had a lure stuck in one of his lines for tying up. Once he realized we were there he gave up trying to get it out and got his truck to pull the boat out. We decided to hang in the boat until his was out of the water. All the time hearing the guy that apparently owned the dog screaming at it, trying to get it under control as it ran around the docking area. That was the reason we decided to stay in the boat.

The guy got his boat out in a couple of minutes, and we got out and headed to the parking lot to get ours. I told #1 to not look at the dog directly, to walk slow and calm. All the time the guy was still screaming at the dog trying to keep it under control, of course, putting it on a leash didn't seem to cross his mind.

We got the truck backed down the ramp, and I told #1 to stay in the truck while I pull the boat onto the trailer. Just as I'm pulling it in, the dog runs up behind me on the ramp, and then around the truck and down the other side of the ramp. I then yelled "Please control your dog" and went back to loading the boat as quickly as I could. It wasn't until then the asshole finally put the leash on the dog.

Sadly, I didn't even have my pistol with me, not on my side, not in the truck, only had some knives and a boat pole. It's sad that there's assholes like this in the world, you're required by law to control your dog in public, it's required to be on a leash. This is how dogs end up dead. I'm not risking my kid's or my life because you feel you're a special asshole that doesn't need to leash their dog.

I came home and told the wife about and and asked her to remind me to take my pistol with me from now on when I head out fishing. And yes, it does matter that it was a pitbull (yes, it really was one) and not a chihuahua, because there are exactly zero deaths attributed to chihuahua bites.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I was looking for a thread like this because of an encounter I had over the weekend.

#1 and I were at the lake fishing from late afternoon to early evening. We were on our way in and we saw another guy working at his boat at the dock, but couldn't see what he was doing. Then a full grown pitbull came running up on the dock behind him, no leash, no collar, no human to control it. It ran off a couple minutes later, the guy made no sign that it was his dog.

We tied up to the dock and saw what the guy was doing, he had a lure stuck in one of his lines for tying up. Once he realized we were there he gave up trying to get it out and got his truck to pull the boat out. We decided to hang in the boat until his was out of the water. All the time hearing the guy that apparently owned the dog screaming at it, trying to get it under control as it ran around the docking area. That was the reason we decided to stay in the boat.

The guy got his boat out in a couple of minutes, and we got out and headed to the parking lot to get ours. I told #1 to not look at the dog directly, to walk slow and calm. All the time the guy was still screaming at the dog trying to keep it under control, of course, putting it on a leash didn't seem to cross his mind.

We got the truck backed down the ramp, and I told #1 to stay in the truck while I pull the boat onto the trailer. Just as I'm pulling it in, the dog runs up behind me on the ramp, and then around the truck and down the other side of the ramp. I then yelled "Please control your dog" and went back to loading the boat as quickly as I could. It wasn't until then the asshole finally put the leash on the dog.

Sadly, I didn't even have my pistol with me, not on my side, not in the truck, only had some knives and a boat pole. It's sad that there's assholes like this in the world, you're required by law to control your dog in public, it's required to be on a leash. This is how dogs end up dead. I'm not risking my kid's or my life because you feel you're a special asshole that doesn't need to leash their dog.

I came home and told the wife about and and asked her to remind me to take my pistol with me from now on when I head out fishing. And yes, it does matter that it was a pitbull (yes, it really was one) and not a chihuahua, because there are exactly zero deaths attributed to chihuahua bites.
    State law only requires that a dog be under control, not leashed. That dog was neither.

Night fishing for trout was one of the reasons that I began carrying regularly. I was fishing the Zane Grey pool on the Delaware River once back around 2000 and a dog ran up and was barking at me from the edge of water and kept me out in the water for quite some time before he got bored and left. I picked up a .22 WMR derringer to keep in my waders on the way home that morning.

(Warren County)

Nice job of restraint. A properly trained dog wouldn't need to wear a shock collar until the battery ran out. Your neighbor and his dog are lucky.

Now let's talk a little about why you had to go back inside to strap on the .38 instead of having it on you in the first place. Your mother and I raised you better than that.
    Yeah I ALWAYS carry when I leave home, but I normally don't wear a piece while I'm on the property.
    It's a pretty great "neighborhood".

I do have a semi auto 12GA w/ buckshot just inside the door because of predators.

The pistols aren't gonna cut it in some instances. I had a huge bear stroll the yard last summer.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast