Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Mossberg 500, Remington 870, prices, models, and reliability.

Actually, Mossberg 500's and 590's as well as Remington 870's have all been accepted by the U.S. military.
    I think it boils down to which gun fits you best. Try all of them if you can and pick the one you feel best about. If your gun's a new one, give it a chance to break in before you need to rely on it. Shooting it regularly will smooth up the action and you'll gain familiarity with your gun. Even the occasional glitch isn't all bad. It gives you a chance to try immediate action drills (although you should correct any problems before you have to hold off the zombies).

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Sorry for being too to the point (rude), but the smell of BS irritates me.

I just finished cleaning and inspecting the differences between a 500 and my 590A1 before reading this. I literally marvled at the trigger group that at first seems over built, but upon further inspection reveals a masterful assembly of parts that while not quite a hammer block safety level of engineering, its as close as you can come without one.

The group has in effect two seers.

The first sear releases the hammer when you take up on the trigger, and the second when you fire the gun. The first sear is in effect close to a hammer block without directly blocking the hammer.

The trigger is stopped from moving the safery pin. Without the trigger moving the first seer will not release when the but of the gun is slammed on the ground or otherwise jarred.

Dirt in the action would have to block both sears from engaging........Thats a hell of a lot of dirt!

Then, even if they were both blocked you would only have a situation where the hammer rides the bolt which could in theory cause the hammer to blah de blah bla blah.....

Except for the massive spring holding back the firing pin!

So short of welding the firing pin in a protruded position allowing a slam fire condition............Bupkis!

I dont know, maybe he bought an Ithica by mistake.

456 - If it walks like a duck and quaks like a duck, it must be BS. That's a pretty indept study of the firing mechanism. Smells like BS to me also, but on a forum I would let him have his opinion. But I'm glad you didn't, we all don't need to be politically correct this is America.

(Allegheny County)

870 all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Dingobill View Post
    870 all the way
    456 - Unless the features of the 870 doesn't fit you, tnen there are other options like the Mossberg 500 series. I like the 870 but the setup on the 500 fit me better. That what you have to check out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345