Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Mossberg 500, Remington 870, prices, models, and reliability.

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

deleted, previously banned.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; January 10th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Default Re: Mossberg 500, Remington 870, prices, models, and reliability.

Brand new? $325 is normal. Slightly used? $200-$250, depending on the exact model. 870s and 500s run forever, so I'd look for a used one first. I got a 2-year-old 870 (I called Remington and checked on the date of manufacture) that looked completely brand new for $175 out-the-door 2 months ago.

Both the 500 and 870 are plenty reliable. Between the two, it just boils down to which one you like better. I prefer 870s. If you're a lefty, you'll probably like the position of the 500's safety (on the tang) better than the 870's safety (on the trigger guard). Some also prefer the position of the slide release on the 500 because you don't have to remove your firing hand from the grip to release the slide.

Get whatever one feels better, and you won't be disappointed.

(Franklin County)

I purchased a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 7-Round (Rem. #25077) a couple of months ago for $332.99 (plus tax) at Shyda's, in Lebanon, PA. The MSRP was $399, and I didn't check any other dealers, as I've price compared Shyda's against others in the past, and they've always come in as the cheapest.

The only exception is a guy locally that has a little shop out of his house. He charges $20.00 over his cost for any gun he orders, but sometimes it takes him a while to get stuff in. I also wanted to do a lay-a-way so I could pay over time, and Shyda's was able to accommodate me on that as well.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

I paid $100 used for my mossberg 500 w/ both barrels. That was in 1992. I have probably put a couple of thousand rounds from 7 1/2 shot to slugs and never ever had a single problem. As far as Im concerned for the price of a new one even you couldnt get a better shotgun.
    No longer posting

Shotguns are not fungible, they vary considerably in quality. Used Mossberg 500's run at least $100 less than a comparable Remington 870 Express, and the 870 itself has variations in quality. The Express is the discount version of the Wingmaster (I know, I checked recently because I put one up for sale here.)

The Wingmaster has more metal and less plastic than the Express, and it's preferred for cop guns, at least before they called it the "Police" version. They made them in a different factory area with higher QC than the guns that were less likely to face criminals, on the theory that missing a buck due to a malfunction was less critical than allowing the perp time to kill you. Cop guns cost more, any Wingmaster costs more than an Express, which is worth more than pretty much any Mossberg.

The 500 also has some clones, also made by Mossberg, like the 600. Then there's the 590, a military version that either allows attachment of a bayonet (if you feel such a need) or comes in a marine-coated version for boat use.

The Chinese have an 870 clone, I've never held one, have no opinion except you'd be sending money to Commies. But you'd hardly be alone in that.

Any gun is better than no gun when the window breaks at 3 AM, but more reliable is better than less reliable, if you can afford it.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

I've got the Remmy 12 gauge 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic.

Easy to use, easy to play with, easy to modify.

Less than $300.00 at Walmart out the door. Curiously enough it was a bit more expensive than the Mossy 500.

ME LOVES ME SHOTTY!
    Last edited by Michele; October 3rd, 2010 at 01:32 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I've got the Remmy 12 gauge 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic.

Easy to use, easy to play with, easy to modify.

Less than $300.00 at Walmart out the door. Curiously enough it was a bit more expensive than the Mossy 500.
    Why do you say "curiosly enough"? The Remmy 870 is a tougher shotgun than the Mossy 500, which by the way is their bottom line shotgun, and that's why it costs more. Even the 590 is a better shotgun than the 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Why do you say "curiosly enough"? The Remmy 870 is a tougher shotgun than the Mossy 500, which by the way is their bottom line shotgun, and that's why it costs more. Even the 590 is a better shotgun than the 500.
    At the time I was doing comparison shopping in a few places, the Mossy was always more expensive.

I was urged by a few shotty gurus to go with the Remmy because of its versatility. Parts are plentiful and usually a bit cheaper than the Mossy.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    At the time I was doing comparison shopping in a few places, the Mossy was always more expensive.

I was urged by a few shotty gurus to go with the Remmy because of its versatility. Parts are plentiful and usually a bit cheaper than the Mossy.
    I am surprized, I have never seen the Mossy 500 more than the 870. Your shotty gurus were correct with the 870 versatility.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Just last Sunday, at a sporting clay shoot at Elstonville sportsmans club, my friends 870 choked repeatedly on Federal (iirc). Would not extract half of the shells and the ones it did stovepiped when cycling. And this is his SECOND 870 since the first one did the same thing. Maybe it's an ammo problem, but I wouldn't label it "reliable" by any means.

He shot 12/50 clays...........so pretty much when he got the thing unjammed, he got off one shot and then never the second, YMMV.

I used my 590, with its 2 extractors, and didn't have a single problem. Dual extractors are a plus, when reliability is a life or death issue, and is the reason I went with the 590 A1.

YB
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; October 3rd, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast