Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Mossberg 500, Remington 870, prices, models, and reliability.

What I like about the 870 is that even the 'lowest quality' models come with a matte black parkerized finish. I had a Mossberg 500 for a few weeks and sold it. It never even made it to the range, I just didn't like it. The blued finish got dirty too easily, scratched much more easily than the 870 and didn't look good on a tactical shotgun. Aside from that, the factory forend was the cheapest, crappiest looking POS I've ever seen. Highly visible mold marks and it wasn't symmetrical either. The forend had been put together slightly off so the grip texture wasn't even. You could get a 500 for less than $300 new most of the time but there's a reason for that. It will shoot but I just think they're ugly guns. I wouldn't buy a 500. The 590A1 or 930 though . . . That's a different story.

I got a 7 shot Remington 870 from Gander Mountain brand new for $379. 18 1/2" cylinder barrel with tactical forend and Remington overmold stock, not the ugly synthetic checkering. I know that I probably could've gotten it cheaper but I have no interest whatsoever in used, beat-up guns and I like the service there. They know me there, I've bought all but one of my guns from them and they always help me out whenever I need something (special ordering me my sexy guns). Get an 870. Here's mine . . .

Whereas I think the deep blue of the Mossy 500s (and I include 590 in this series) as better looking then the parkerized finish on the 870 close in price.
    The 870 you can get basic or trophy wall mounted quality (real expensive).
    I like the safety setup on the 500s and where/how the slide release is made, my Shot gun is a 7-8shot 12 gauge, black synthenic stock with flip up rifle sights with a gold post front sights. It came with front and rear swivels for a sling. Its a very tactical looking weapon. For what I paid for the Mossy 500 a similar setup 870 would have been nearly $400+. I paid less $200 NIB at Academy on sale 7-8 years ago.

The Remy 870 is defintely a good shotgun but how abouts some bargains in the sale and ergonomic for me. That's the key you are not looiking for brand name but what setup fits you best. As I mentined its my O that the 500 series takes a back seat to noone in the Duty pump shotgun arena.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 11th, 2010 at 09:11 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post

I'd never say he was lying but dirt in the trigger area causing slam fire, is questionable?

Sorry for being too to the point (rude), but the smell of BS irritates me.

I just finished cleaning and inspecting the differences between a 500 and my 590A1 before reading this. I literally marvled at the trigger group that at first seems over built, but upon further inspection reveals a masterful assembly of parts that while not quite a hammer block safety level of engineering, its as close as you can come without one.

The group has in effect two seers.

The first sear releases the hammer when you take up on the trigger, and the second when you fire the gun. The first sear is in effect close to a hammer block without directly blocking the hammer.

The trigger is stopped from moving the safery pin. Without the trigger moving the first seer will not release when the but of the gun is slammed on the ground or otherwise jarred.

Dirt in the action would have to block both sears from engaging........Thats a hell of a lot of dirt!

Then, even if they were both blocked you would only have a situation where the hammer rides the bolt which could in theory cause the hammer to blah de blah bla blah.....

Except for the massive spring holding back the firing pin!

So short of welding the firing pin in a protruded position allowing a slam fire condition............Bupkis!

I dont know, maybe he bought an Ithica by mistake.

(Monroe County)

#1 - was there ever a problem with ithaca or winchester models that fought in actual u.s. combat over the years?

#2 - having owned and used all four over the years, these days I'm down to an express 870 with a knoxx stock and a rifle sighted 22-24inch barrel, and I'm actually looking to 'downgrade' to a short barreled standard wood stocked mossberg or an old s&w pump (theyre around and cheap and th controls are mossberg style) and throwing one of those heat shields with th sight set up on it and calling it a day with a bit of cash left over after th sale

#3 - a used 870 or 500 is a good bet as far as I'm concerned. Although once bought a 500 that upon close inspection had an easily fixed space in th barrel connecting screw that probably wouldve caused ftf's or at least light strikes, so do be careful there can shady deals and ppl everywhere from used cars to used bibles

#4 - all that being said I really miss my ghost ring parked 590 (from th days b4 a1's) but thats alot of cash for something that I could get minus th robust sights and bayonet lug for half th price sometimes less if a lil used and beat up, but if you can find a u.s. property old ithaca that would be my 2nd choice if money was no option

good luck

Garmin3 wrote - #1 - was there ever a problem with ithaca or winchester models that fought in actual u.s. combat over the years?

456 - I don't think so those are also two good shotgun. I really like the Ithaca even with it hold the trigger pump and fire action. You just got to know you weapon you can use that to your advantage. I believe in testing the 500 and 870 proved more durable. Other then that ain't nothing wrong with a slick Model 12 or Ithaca. Police and Civilan use could never test take them that limit.

(Lehigh County)

Mossberg... Aluminum reciever, saftey on the tang, more parts& harder to break apart.

Remmington.. Steel Reciever...saftey on trigger guard. (my preference)

Over 10,000,000 Remmington's made Many of them still in use today.

(Northampton County)

I own a couple of 870's (both bought used), and my son-in-law owns a 500 (also bought used). Am I better-armed than he is? Not unless you figure I have two to his one - as if I could use two shotguns at once.
    I'll add my endorsement to the posts above recommending you buy used. Check function, make sure the gun has all its parts, cycle dummy rounds if the seller will let you, then buy the dern gun.
    I used to work for an outfit that used shotguns REALLY HARD in the course of business (if you must know, we knocked scale off the insides of boilers with #4 shot). We abused those 870's. They got knocked around inside access ports, exposed to extreme heat, we normally shot several cases of ammo per job (the guns would get so hot that plastic from the shell would melt to the inside of the chamber and to extract, the butt of the gun had to be banged HARD against the floor while holding the forend). I regularly cleaned our guns and serviced them, replacing more recoil pads and stocks than anything else (from that extraction technique noted above).
    So I think I might consider endorsing the 870, although it would have been interesting to abuse a couple of 500's to compare the two.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Is it possible that the particular shotty you had wasn't brand spankin' new? Possibly modified in some way? Did someone try to tweak it to make it bad assed?

If the gun came with no paperwork, I'd be suspicious getting it from a second owner. Its a rarity that someone sells a brand spankin' new shotgun.

Even though I have an 870, I'm still a bit concerned.
    No, don't be suspicious or concerned, it's ok... stuff happens! LOL

A couple of years ago I bought a brand spanking new 12g 870 Express from Rich at A.S.S., he said the guy bought it, fired about ten rounds, said that it was too much and traded it in on a rifle.

I test fired it, sent in a Form 1 to make a SBS, got my approved Form 1 back, cut it down to 10" and put a remmy top folding riot gun stock on it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by thunderw0lf View Post
    My understanding is Mossberg 590 is the only shotgun that passed the MIL-S-3443G specs.

Asside from that, I have a 500 and love it. No issues of any sort except never enough fun time with it. No tools needed to field strip for cleaning, wide assortment of interchangeable barrels, will shoot any 3" or shorter shell, though I have not tried any of the mini shells.

No experience with any other pump gun but I would not pass on owning another make or model.

My advice, fondle every shotgun you can and get what feels good to you.

456 - The Remington 870 is definitely a great Shotgun but the 500 series Mossberg is also a good choice as the above post atest to. Really both Shotguns are used in the most surver situations Law Enforcement and the Military (boiler scales don't shoot back) so you can't go wrong with either.

Handel them both work the action, put the safety on and off take them out and fire them find what works for you. I like Remington 870s but I buy Mossberg 500s I mean rifle sights on my Shotgun, most 870s only have a front post anywhere close to this price.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 12th, 2010 at 06:36 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderw0lf View Post
    My understanding is Mossberg 590 is the only shotgun that passed the MIL-S-3443G specs.

That must be a newer set of specs because for many years the 870 was the shotgun used by most branches of the military.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast