Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mossberg 500, Remington 870, prices, models, and reliability.

I picked up a used Rem 870 Wingmaster 12 ga over the summer for $120 + shipping and transfer.

It isn't going to win any beauty contests, but functional. I plan on getting her refinished anyways with duracoat.

Don't be afraid to buy used! Especially guns. Guns are built to last. My wingmaster was produced in ~1974 and its in great condition considering it is 36 years old.
    Last edited by FJR86; October 6th, 2010 at 02:21 AM.

(Centre County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I've got the Remmy 12 gauge 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic.

Easy to use, easy to play with, easy to modify.

Less than $300.00 at Walmart out the door. Curiously enough it was a bit more expensive than the Mossy 500.

ME LOVES ME SHOTTY!
    are you for real!?! Remmy, Shotty, Mossy, Me Loves Me Shotty!?! Certainly not an MIT graduate or English major. Too many shotties to the head I guess...

Snert wrote - Lastly as stated above, its the old ford vs. chevy thing of scatterguns. Its all about penis envy...nana poop poop mines bigger than yours...

Pick what feels comfortable, has good ergonomics, and shoots well with YOU!! Everyone is different on their opinions as to what THEY feel best for THEM... YOU are not them...You are YOU, and only YOU know whats best for YOU.

456 - Maybe old Ford vs Chevy debate but penis envy mines bigger then yours. Its more where do you like it the safety near the trigger guard or were you can reach it without taking your finger off the trigger. It where is the slide release and how can you operate it quickly & smoothly. Nothing envious about that either it works for your or it doesn't. You ending statement we all agree on Its about what works for you. Nothing to do with your penis size. LOL. This is just MO.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 8th, 2010 at 08:17 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Just a little story: Years ago a gun dealer freind showed me a new Mosberg 590. It was in a plain brown box, no paper work. Bayo lug, heat shield,fixed sling keepers and a M16 type sling. Said it was an overun of a military contract. Could not resist. Had the thing for some time. Loaded the magazine and with the safety on pumped the slide, and BOOM, the shotgun fired. Pumped the slide again and it fired again. Luckly, no one was in front of the gun. Took it apart and found a little dirt in the trigger group. After a cleaning the gun opperated properly. Never did trust that 590 again, and I do not longer have it. Maybe it was a fluke, bad luck, or the stars not in alignment, but guns should not go off because of a little dirt. Now I have only Remington 870's-------Just a little story.

Alot of Police department and Federal Secuirty use Mossy 500 & 870s there a reason for it they are some of the most reliable and durable shotguns available. I know I can't break mines it shoots everything that I can load it.
    The 870 is a great Pump SG but the Mossy doesn't take a back seat to any pump. By the way I like the Ithaca also hold the trigger and it does the same pump and POP thing. The Mossy usually won't you have to pull the trigger after each pump just like 870.

I'm sure that there are stories about the 870 and some fluke incident happening but like the 500 there are rare. They are two of the best pump shotguns out there for a reason.

I like the Mossy 500 and so does a lot of Police depts.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Just a little story.

How about an absolute lie!

Anyone who knows the guts of the MOSSBERG knows this wont happen short of a firing pin welded in place.

Freaking pathetic! Like we cant even understand the workings of our own guns......

(York County)

My understanding is Mossberg 590 is the only shotgun that passed the MIL-S-3443G specs.

Asside from that, I have a 500 and love it. No issues of any sort except never enough fun time with it. No tools needed to field strip for cleaning, wide assortment of interchangeable barrels, will shoot any 3" or shorter shell, though I have not tried any of the mini shells.

No experience with any other pump gun but I would not pass on owning another make or model.

My advice, fondle every shotgun you can and get what feels good to you.

Is one generally regarded as being more reliable -- if not only very slightly -- than the other, or better suited for HD situations?

As others have said its like which is better, Ford or Chevy? I have two Fords with near 200,000 miles and no problem and my friend has two Chevies with the same use. I like 870s as that is what I grew up with. Mossbergs are usually a little less expensive but I think its a case of Remingtons go 500,000 rds to a rebuild and Mossbergs only 450,000. You aren't going to reach either number unless you are a serious trap or skeet shooter.

Get what appeals to you best at the best price.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Just a little story: Years ago a gun dealer freind showed me a new Mosberg 590. It was in a plain brown box, no paper work. Bayo lug, heat shield,fixed sling keepers and a M16 type sling. Said it was an overun of a military contract. Could not resist. Had the thing for some time. Loaded the magazine and with the safety on pumped the slide, and BOOM, the shotgun fired. Pumped the slide again and it fired again. Luckly, no one was in front of the gun. Took it apart and found a little dirt in the trigger group. After a cleaning the gun opperated properly. Never did trust that 590 again, and I do not longer have it. Maybe it was a fluke, bad luck, or the stars not in alignment, but guns should not go off because of a little dirt. Now I have only Remington 870's-------Just a little story.
    Again.......new to shottys.

Is it possible that the particular shotty you had wasn't brand spankin' new? Possibly modified in some way? Did someone try to tweak it to make it bad assed?

If the gun came with no paperwork, I'd be suspicious getting it from a second owner. Its a rarity that someone sells a brand spankin' new shotgun.

I've met people that have never cleaned their shotguns. In fact, they've laughed at me for cleaning mine after only 75 shells through it! I've never heard of any "booms" from dirt.

Even though I have an 870, I'm still a bit concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    How about an absolute lie!

Anyone who knows the guts of the MOSSBERG knows this wont happen short of a firing pin welded in place.

Freaking pathetic! Like we cant even understand the workings of our own guns......

456 - That was kinda hard to believe but shiz happens and that would be a very rare incidents. I've worked alot of agencys that used Mossy 500s and Remington 870s because of there durability and reliability. During the range times 30-60 officers had to quailfy with 20 shotguns these guns saw a lot of rounds the Shotgun never had a problem. We had more problems with the super reliable revolvers & dirty powder build up but never a problem with the 500 or 870 shotguns.

I'd never say he was lying but dirt in the trigger area causing slam fire, is questionable?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast