Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Mossberg 500, Remington 870, prices, models, and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Just last Sunday, at a sporting clay shoot at Elstonville sportsmans club, my friends 870 choked repeatedly on Federal (iirc). Would not extract half of the shells and the ones it did stovepiped when cycling. And this is his SECOND 870 since the first one did the same thing. Maybe it's an ammo problem, but I wouldn't label it "reliable" by any means.

YB
    When we first got the 870 there was a bit of a problem with the (IIRC) #8 shot for trap. Maybe it was the steel or maybe it was a new gun. After a few uses (broken in), never another issue.

I've ran some Remington brass (00 buck) through it without ever an issue.

I guess shottys are like any other gun, it either likes the ammo or it doesn't.

(Centre County)

Remington's worst gun is 3 times better than the best from Mossberg. I've owned both...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    When we first got the 870 there was a bit of a problem with the (IIRC) #8 shot for trap. Maybe it was the steel or maybe it was a new gun. After a few uses (broken in), never another issue.

I've ran some Remington brass (00 buck) through it without ever an issue.

I guess shottys are like any other gun, it either likes the ammo or it doesn't.
    Maybe that's his problem, it seemed like his federal hulls were expanding in the chamber much more than what my remington shells did in his 870. Could be that the finish in his chamber was rough and needs a few rounds to wear in a little.......<shrugs>

Halfway through the course we switched shells and his problem went away, so I would say it was an ammo issue. But since the OP is looking for something uber reliable, my criteria for that is that it feed on anything, my opinion of course.

My mossy ran the federals just fine BTW , don't worry I didn't rub it in too bad though
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slugo View Post
    Remington's worst gun is 3 times better than the best from Mossberg. I've owned both...
    Oh, well there we go, it's settled.........
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by NameO View Post
    Thanks. I'm hesitant to buy a used gun though. Isn't a used gun more likely to have problems than a new one since... well, since it's been used?

I love buying used stuff and saving money, but buying a used gun just sounds a bit scary to me.
    Not necessarily, especially in the case of 870s. They're so simple and reliable that there really isn't much to worry about when buying a used one.

I'd be more worried about buying a used car than a used gun.

you can't go wrong with an 870 or a 500. this is like the ford (mossberg) vs. chevy (870) debate that been going on for years.

Dunhams regularly sells the 500 persuader (18.5" barrel, synthetic full stock) and a factory heat guard (that i personally could care less for) for $269.00.

DONT BUY the factory tactical stock. get a base model 500 persuader, or a standard 590, and then consider a knoxx spec ops recoil reducing stock (around $105 at cabelas, or midway usa)

to the peanut gallery, he said he was interested in a tactical gun, so let it be.

also, while you're at it, op, pick up a laser lite tri-rail for $25 on amazon. it will even fit with the head guard in place. great option for mounting anything (light, laser, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    Not necessarily, especially in the case of 870s. They're so simple and reliable that there really isn't much to worry about when buying a used one.

I'd be more worried about buying a used car than a used gun.
    This^^^^this^^^this^^^.

People sell their guns because they want to. Most that sell their guns do it because they're upgrading, changing calibers, are now into different kind of shooting or their wife just tells them too. Gun enthusiasts take gun ownership very seriously. All are proud about the way they care for their guns. They wouldn't sell a gun with an issue and not disclose it. Most gun owners are diligent in fixing a gun issue. If something was to happen, they'd get blamed. Its a personal thing.

People sell their cars because they have too. In this economy, average people are not upgrading their cars. They are keeping what they have. Unless of course there are problems with their vehicle and can't afford repairs or spending the day at the dealership service center. So they pass that lovely aggravation on to you. Remember, legally, cars are sold as is. You're lucky to get any type of no fine print warranty. When its a private sale, no warranty.

There is no lifetime guarantee with any used gun you buy, however the gun enthusiast that sold it to you would be more than happy to answer questions for you, give you fixing tips and probably send it a birthday card.

There is no lifetime guarantee with a used car. Buy a used car from a dealer, you'll be a regular at the service center. Get that coffee thermos ready! A private sale? Try calling them 2 days later to tell them you've got a problem. You'll find they've changed their number and probably moved somewhere far far away.

(Delaware County)

Seems these days that the Remmy fans outnumber the Mossy fans. I got into Mossberg 500s when I bought a New Haven 600AT (Mossberg 500 with a different name and slightly different specs); rifle sights slug barrel and 28 inch Accuchoke barrel with 3 chokes all for $175 OTD. I already had a Rem 870 and a Mossberg 835 (both bought at NRA fundraising auctions at Buxmont Friends of the NRA banquets). Kept the 835; sold the 870 because the Mossbergs fit me better without having to look for new stocks. The 600 AT was great for trap shooting.

Got a second 600AT off Gunbroker. It did say that the safety needed replacing, so I got it cheap. Turned out that more than the safety needed replacing - the firing pin spring was missing and other things were so -so. I guess you'd think that I'm trying to warn you off used guns in general and Mossies in particular and you'd be wrong.

With the aid of only the Mossberg 500 owner's manual and a couple of YouTube videos, I was able to fix everything with only about $35 worth of parts (slightly used bolt group) plus a couple of bells and whistles that I added at the same time. I had NEVER attempted to fix a long gun before this. It was somewhat easy (only said the F word about 50 times)! It works great. Plenty of barrels, stocks, gew gaws, etc. available for Mossberg 500s as well. So have no fear of used 500s as long as the basic shotgun receiver is sound.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Its hard to go wrong with either of the choicees its all about perface. The 870Remington is the old standard work horse has a proven good name. The Mossy 500 is just as good pending wnere you like the safety and slide release.

I like the Mossy 500 and that what I have bought. I've worked with and shot a lot of Remy 870s they are a hell of a Shotgun but I like the setup on the 500 better but there are others that like the 870 better.

(Pike County)

So here is my two cents worth..

I do like Remington over Mossberg, just my personal choice.

Put a post in the regonal/county section you live in. Look for someone who has both or two folks with one of each. Ask to have a range day , buy the ammo, some snacks or lunch for the guys/gals with the 2 shotguns. Not many folks here will pass up on a range day.Best deciding factor in the TWO shotguns, what fits YOU best.

Shooting them might change your thoughts on each one. Looking and fondeling them is alot differant than test drivin' them.I suggest using the same ammo in each to make a better comparison.This will keep the playing field even.

Dont be afraid of buying USED to save some cheese. There are many dealers who will back what they sell. It might not be in writing, but their business and reputation is at stake on this stuff. Doing bad business can destroy a business.

Lastly as stated above, its the old ford vs. chevy thing of scatterguns. Its all about penis envy...nana poop poop mines bigger than yours...

Pick what feels comfortable, has good ergonomics, and shoots well with YOU!! Everyone is different on their opinions as to what THEY feel best for THEM... YOU are not them...You are YOU, and only YOU know whats best for YOU.

Good luck...Snert

PS. just to mess with ya ever look at the 11-87 ??? doh just had to do it sorry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast