Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Opinions on Taurus 24/7 Pro .45

Ok guys, here's the deal...I need a new gun for personal protection BUT my budget is tiny...really tiny.

I found a new Taurus 24/7 Pro, 4", .45, 12 round mags, stainless slide for about $350 out the door. I'm keeping my eyes open for something used (Glock, 1911, etc.), if I can find it for about the same price. However, I need a new gun ASAP.

Which brings me to my point, how well do you guys like/dislike the 24/7 in .45?

If you've had any major dislikes about this gun, what happened? How well do you clean it? Was there anything that might have contributed to the negative? Have you had to send it off to Taurus and if so, how good was their customer service?

If you like it, how often do you clean it? How well do you take care of it? How often do you shoot it? So on and so forth...

Thanks everybody for your time.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Opinions on Taurus 24/7 Pro .45

I like my 24/7 Pro 40 I clean it regularly. I have not had any light striker hits on the primers. I currently have 5,000 plus round through it. I have only had a few failures caused by me(bad reloads) not the firearm. There was some issues with the 45 versions early in production due to the feed ramp profile. From what I understand this issue was addressed in later models. The straight eight sights take some getting used to at first but I am comfortable with it now. It is easy to field strip and clean. Extra magazines are a bit expensive but they work very well. It has never been broken or sent in for repair either. The price is decent I have seen them sell for up to $425. That Said I am also a big fan of the 1911 You should be able to find an RIA or Citidel for roughly the same money. That would allow you to do gradual up grades over time to make it more personal to you based on your preferences.
    I hope this helps you out. You can expect a variety of opinions to follow. Some good some bad. But remember the choice is yours to make.

Mike Mc

(Westmoreland County)

Swamp Yankee,

Thanks for the response. I am considering going the route of the 1911. It's just hard for me to ignore the features of the 24/7 considering it's such a low price. I haven't decided 100% on anything yet. Either way, i'll hopefully be posting up a review here in the next couple of weeks on whatever I go with.

(Monroe County)

there are 2 used glocks on here for sale right now in your price range, one is a glock 22 for $350.00 being sold by thelemite and the other is a glock 19 for $350.00. don't exactly remember who was selling that one, but you'd be far better off with either one of those as opposed to the taurus.

It would benefit you to spend a little more now (shipping etc) than to waste 350 on a taurus. you'll be a lot happier with the glock.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    there are 2 used glocks on here for sale right now in your price range, one is a glock 22 for $350.00 being sold by thelemite and the other is a glock 19 for $350.00. don't exactly remember who was selling that one, but you'd be far better off with either one of those as opposed to the taurus.

It would benefit you to spend a little more now (shipping etc) than to waste 350 on a taurus. you'll be a lot happier with the glock.
    Best advice ever.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Montgomery County)

Skip the Taurus and skip the .45 ACP if you have such a tight budget. Go with the used G19 in the classifieds. Cheaper ammo means more practice.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Skip the Taurus and skip the .45 ACP if you have such a tight budget. Go with the used G19 in the classifieds. Cheaper ammo means more practice.
    Both give good advise. I never cared for the 24/7.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Best advice ever.
    Can't argue with either one stay away from the Taurus and get the $350 G22. A $100 Glock with no trigger that has been dragged through the dessert behind a Harley ridden by Helen Keller is better than a brand new shiny Taurus.

I own Glocks and a 24/7 overall the Glock even used is a better gun. But the Taurus 24/7 is one of the newer Taurus that are made alot better then some of the older Taurus. I know some Taurus lovers that think that there PT92 clone of the Beretta 92 is better then the 92sf, I donot. The Taurus PT92 is a good clone but its not made as good.

I think if you buy a NIB 24/7 in 45acp it could be a good gun for you, just like my 40 cal 24/7.

But if you buy a Glock (or any of the brand name guns) used if they are in good shape you know you will havea good gun.

$350 could buy one. It's your choice.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 4th, 2010 at 09:34 AM.

One reason to buy the 24/7 45acp is that its a 12 shot gun most double stack 45 acp guns are $500+ guns. If its the updated 24/7 you might have yourself a nice shootinmg 45acp. Downside is that 45 acp is pretty expensive unless you reload.

9mm is cheap to buy and reload Glock 19 wouldn't be bad used for $350.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast