Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Cheap but is it reliable??

While transferring a new toy last week at a small gun shop in Claysville Pa I spotted a really fine looking 1911 with 3.13 barrell. Turned out it was an ATI Titan FX 45 acp. I have done a little searching in the many forums including this one but can only find std promo info. Just wondering if anyone else has seen these and tried them out? Or, had experince with ATI hand guns. Any in put would be appreciated. I have certainly entertained the idea of grabbing one but not eager to throw good money away.

Thx

Prayer is a first response not a last minute option: 1911 45 is the best last minute option!

Default Re: Cheap but is it reliable??

I can't speak for that particular model or manufacturer, but 1911s with 3" barrels are notoriously unreliable.

(Allegheny County)

I have heard similar statements which is largely due to the 1911 being built on the std 5" barrell and when you use the same cartridge with a shorter barrell there is more pressure applied to the mechanism traveling the shorter distance. However, models like the cdp and the like seem to be trouble free for the most part. I am thinking that the 4" models may be the safest bet of performance and better ease of conceal. but thanks for your input

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    I can't speak for that particular model or manufacturer, but 1911s with 3" barrels are notoriously unreliable.
    i don't know where people get this notion that 1911's w/ 3" barrels are unreliable. i have a springfield armory micro and ultra and both have beem 100% reliable. so far as ATI is concerned i've never even heard of them. you don't say how much the shop had the ATI 1911 price for so it's hard to say if it's a good deal.

if you're looking for a good 1911 that won't break the bank checkout rock island armory 1911's. i've never owned or shot one but i've read a lot of positive things about them. SA and magnum research both make no frills 1911's so you might want to take a look at them too.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i don't know where people get this notion that 1911's w/ 3" barrels are unreliable. i have a springfield armory micro and ultra and both have beem 100% reliable. so far as ATI is concerned i've never even heard of them. you don't say how much the shop had the ATI 1911 price for so it's hard to say if it's a good deal.

if you're looking for a good 1911 that won't break the bank checkout rock island armory 1911's. i've never owned or shot one but i've read a lot of positive things about them. SA and magnum research both make no frills 1911's so you might want to take a look at them too.
    The amller guns are universally accepted to be more troublesome. I dont think that means you cant get one to run, just that its not going to be as easy.

How many rounds do you have through yours?

(Allegheny County)

I appreciate the input received so far. As far as price on the ss model I saw it was $525.00. I have seen other sites offering them for up to $575.00 to $599.00.

The one I looked at had novak style dot sights, which i like over the std military blade, diamond checkered wood grips and one mag. Having a slim body style 5' 9" at 145 lb I am concerned about printing with the full size Tarus, at least in the summer months. I only have about 125 rounds through the Tarus. If I remember correctly the break in is 200 to 250 (or so I read). The manual really didnt say anthing about round break in that I remember. I hope to get to the range again this week some day to put another 100 or so through it. I had orginally planned to get 2 of them one in the 5" and another with a shorter barrell for more regular cc. I have several revolvers but was beginning to feel a little more comfortable with a 1911 around as primary defense in the house. I figure that most deadly force confrontations will take place within 15 yds or less so a shorter barrell in most of the models I have researched will be accurate enough. My major concern was reliability. If I am going to put my life and my family's on the line I want it to go bang more than once!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    The amller guns are universally accepted to be more troublesome. I dont think that means you cant get one to run, just that its not going to be as easy.

How many rounds do you have through yours?
    couple of thousand between the ultra and micro...both have run 100% right out of the box. i eventually traded the ultra away because the barrel was ported and the flash out of the ports was distracting although muzzle rise was non-existant. grat pistol and in hind site i should've held on to it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Windthing Ray View Post
    I have several revolvers but was beginning to feel a little more comfortable with a 1911 around as primary defense in the house. I figure that most deadly force confrontations will take place within 15 yds or less so a shorter barrell in most of the models I have researched will be accurate enough. My major concern was reliability. If I am going to put my life and my family's on the line I want it to go bang more than once!
    if you're thinking of getting a 1911 and using it as a primary HD weapon i strongly suggest you get the full size model and nix the idea of the gun with the 3" barrel. maneuvering around your home you'll see absolutely no difference between a full size 1911 and one with a shorter barrel. with the proper holster you can carry a full size 1911 anytime of the year and never have to worry about printing. good luck with whatever you decide

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    couple of thousand between the ultra and micro...both have run 100% right out of the box. i eventually traded the ultra away because the barrel was ported and the flash out of the ports was distracting although muzzle rise was non-existant. grat pistol and in hind site i should've held on to it.
    so then aprox 1k rounds each ?

(Allegheny County)

Thx wellcraft..That is what I meant when I said I had the Taurs full size. After trying several holster options which stil had me printing some, I decided to pursue the 3 or 4" barrell with a slightly slimmer grip to better conceal. The 5" is definately my hd gun! I may also look into other holster options before I committ to another pistol since you offered this last opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast