Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: Carry laws for corrections officers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I was wondering where you got the Bolt Action Training from. Then it hit me. The towers. Since we don't have towers, the only 223 action at our jail in by the Coverman for the sniper.

As for classroom. Our isn't great. But much better than most.

I was an LEO. And the classroom training we get is bullsh*t compared to what it should be. As an LEO, you get it "once" in your original schooling. And then it is never repeated.

At least they repeat it over every year in the Prisons. I bet more CO's know when you can and can't use deadly force than most of the LEO around here. Ask any of them you know when are all the situations that they can and can't use it. I bet you can name them all but he can't.

I been working Cresson for over 20 years. Where you at.
    I started with the Bureau of Corrections at the maximum security black sheep institution of Western Pen or the Wall. The old housing units were constructed in 1894 & 1896 and at the wall when I started we had 8 tower type positions plus a one man perimeter. At that time we used Colt .38 Specials with 6 inch barrels (these were marked SCIP with a number), 12 Gauge pumps were Remingtons, and the rifle was a .308. Then they started hiring more females for some of the jails with towers and the I guess they thought the 308 kicked too much and it was exchanged for the piece of junk jam-o-matic Ruger bolt action .223 and they also went with low recoil 12 gauge ammo--The Colt revolvers were phased out next and were replaced with S&W 4 inch barreled .357 Mag revolvers that were also loaded with the 38 Special round nose bullet. Western was the last stop in system, if a convicts couldn't be handled at any of the other institutions they were shipped to us, an attitude adjustment was delivered and the convict was sent out into the general population. Because Western had a metal shop inside the wall one of our claims to fame was we had the nicest shanks in the system.

In Nov of 2003, when the DOC decided to close Western (reason was they wanted to break the union local that was there, do away with the local agreements, and also be done with the Kahill (Spelling?) ruling which required a shift compliment among other things), I was given the choice go to Marionville and open the new jail (SCI Forest) or retire. My choice was to go to Marionville.

I will be retiring the last week of December or the middle of Jan with 24 years. Should have no money problems as I have a retirement from the teamsters with a 21 year pension, will be getting 60 percent of my highest four quarters which will be based on 80K plus, and will be filing for Social Security in Feb.

I guess I've bored you all enough now.

oracle
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; November 7th, 2007 at 11:06 PM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

If I would totally honest about some of the requirements that have come down in the last 10 years or so from the liberals and the ACLU the majority of this board would not believe me or think that I was writing fiction.

+1

Most folks think it's what you see in the movies .

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post

....I will be retiring the last week of December or the middle of Jan with 24 years...
    oracle
    Congratulations on your retirement. It's everything I'd hoped it would be. Plenty of time to finely do what I want, not what someone else wanted.

Jack

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAhunter View Post
    Congratulations on your retirement. It's everything I'd hoped it would be. Plenty of time to finely do what I want, not what someone else wanted.

Jack

Thanks PAhunter I worked all my life, started paying social security & all the fun taxes when I was 13 years old and am 60 something now. The Kids are adults (believe it or not with good jobs) now and have families of their own, so it's time for me to enjoy what little life I have left.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Venango County)

Law enforcement officer—A peace officer as defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 501 (relating to definitions), a public servant concerned in the official detention as defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 5121 (relating to escape), an officer or employee of a State correctional institution, guards or employees of county jails and prisons, or other law enforcement officers of the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Well, your asking two different things.

First, to carry in NJ you would need a license honored by them, and PA's is not one of them.

You could possibly carry under the LEOSA, however you must meet these qualifications;

‘‘(c) As used in this section, the term ‘qualified law enforcement officer’ means an employee of a governmental agency who—
    ‘‘(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;
    ‘‘(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    '‘(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary actionby the agency;
    ‘‘(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qual1ify in the use of a firearm; and
    ‘‘(5) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

Do you have powers of arrest and are you authorized to carry??

Act 120 has nothing to do with prisons, prison guards or their qualifications.
    Just wondering about this in the west law book

Law enforcement officer—A peace officer as defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 501 (relating to definitions), a public servant concerned in the official detention as defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 5121 (relating to escape), an officer or employee of a State correctional institution, guards or employees of county jails and prisons, or other law enforcement officers of the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Well, your asking two different things.

First, to carry in NJ you would need a license honored by them, and PA's is not one of them.

You could possibly carry under the LEOSA, however you must meet these qualifications;

‘‘(c) As used in this section, the term ‘qualified law enforcement officer’ means an employee of a governmental agency who—
    ‘‘(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;
    ‘‘(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    '‘(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary actionby the agency;
    ‘‘(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qual1ify in the use of a firearm; and
    ‘‘(5) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

Do you have powers of arrest and are you authorized to carry??

Act 120 has nothing to do with prisons, prison guards or their qualifications.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

What exactly is your question?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    What exactly is your question?
    Probably something like "How do I properly post, then edit posts, on a forum?"

Perhaps "How do I know when a forum post was made?"

Maybe "How do I use the search function on the forum?"

Or "Is there someplace I can research forum etiquette?"

Just sayin'...

ETA: 122 months has gotta be a necro record 'round here...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Probably something like "How do I properly post, then edit posts, on a forum?"

Perhaps "How do I know when a forum post was made?"

Maybe "How do I use the search function on the forum?"

Or "Is there someplace I can research forum etiquette?"

Just sayin'...

ETA: 122 months has gotta be a necro record 'round here...
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast