Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Carry laws for corrections officers?

I see that here in the PA gun laws that you do not need to have a permit to carry if you are of the following:

Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:

1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.

I believe that it is the same way in Jersey, but my question is when they say the deputies do they mean the corrections officer's? I am asking this because I am in the process of becoming one and I occasionally go out of the country, over the bridge to New Jermany, and would like to know if I could legally carry a firearm when I am over there. I know I could find the answer out when I start but I was just curious now if anybody knows. I appreciate in advance for anyone's time to shed some light on this.

Default Re: Carry laws for corrections officers?

I believe that you have to go through training through the Municipal Police Officers' Education & Training Commission (MPOETC) to qualify to carry as a "deputy". Did/will you have this training?
    Details here: http://www.mpoetc.state.pa.us/mpotrs/site/default.asp

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I believe that you have to go through training through the Municipal Police Officers' Education & Training Commission (MPOETC) to qualify to carry as a "deputy". Did/will you have this training?
    Details here: http://www.mpoetc.state.pa.us/mpotrs/site/default.asp
    I know that I will have to go through a 4-5 week academy which includes firearm training but not sure if it will fall under that commision. Thank you for your response.

(Luzerne County)

Well, your asking two different things.

First, to carry in NJ you would need a license honored by them, and PA's is not one of them.

You could possibly carry under the LEOSA, however you must meet these qualifications;

‘‘(c) As used in this section, the term ‘qualified law enforcement officer’ means an employee of a governmental agency who—
    ‘‘(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;
    ‘‘(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    '‘(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary actionby the agency;
    ‘‘(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qual1ify in the use of a firearm; and
    ‘‘(5) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

Do you have powers of arrest and are you authorized to carry??

Act 120 has nothing to do with prisons, prison guards or their qualifications.

(Delaware County)

Does a Pa state constable have "statutory powers of arrest"?

(Cambria County)

Corrections Offciers Recieve Training initially to get thru the acadamy. You have to quailify with a pistol and a shotgun. And then lots of classroom work on when You can and can't use Deadly Force. Always a fight starter if you have ever went to one of these classed. People "what if" it to death.

But all this only applies when we are working. Once off duty, none of this gives us the right to carry a firearm. We have to get a permit like everyone else.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Corrections Offciers Recieve Training initially to get thru the acadamy. You have to quailify with a pistol and a shotgun. And then lots of classroom work on when You can and can't use Deadly Force. Always a fight starter if you have ever went to one of these classed. People "what if" it to death.
    Corrections Officers in this state qualify yearly with Revolver (Smith & Wesson loaded with 38 Special Ammunition), Shotgun (12 gauge Remington Pumps), and Rifle (bolt action Ruger in .223 Remington Caliber). This is what the "average" CO and the CO that works the "gun Positions" in the prison are qualified on. I am not taking the CERT teams which is roughly the DOC's SWAT.
    The lots of classroom work is a joke (one class a year, that has not changed in at least the last ten years...the state does this training to protect itself from law suits and the state leaves the when you can or can not use deadly force up to the CO.

I work as CO (prefer the title Guard or Hack) with over 20 years in the state system and am "Bid" and do work a "gun position" daily.

oracle
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; November 7th, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

The lots of classroom is work is a joke
    ... You forgot BORING................

Sometimes I wonder who came up with it all and if they've ever actually been in a jail.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    ... You forgot BORING................

Sometimes I wonder who came up with it all and if they've ever actually been in a jail.

I didn't forget boring---as far as I am concerned 90% of the required training is boring and serves no purpose other than being a requirement for the state to pick up additional funding and protect them from civil law suits.
    But, on the plus side, when most of the training is going on, the prison must pay overtime either to the CO being trained or the CO that replaces him on the job, so I guess I'll put up with it for a little over $50.00 an hour.
    If I would totally honest about some of the requirements that have come down in the last 10 years or so from the liberals and the ACLU the majority of this board would not believe me or think that I was writing fiction.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Corrections Officers in this state qualify yearly with Revolver (Smith & Wesson loaded with 38 Special Ammunition), Shotgun (12 gauge Remington Pumps), and Rifle (bolt action Ruger in .223 Remington Caliber). This is what the "average" CO and the CO that works the "gun Positions"
    oracle
    I was wondering where you got the Bolt Action Training from. Then it hit me. The towers. Since we don't have towers, the only 223 action at our jail in by the Coverman for the sniper.

As for classroom. Our isn't great. But much better than most.

I was an LEO. And the classroom training we get is bullsh*t compared to what it should be. As an LEO, you get it "once" in your original schooling. And then it is never repeated.

At least they repeat it over every year in the Prisons. I bet more CO's know when you can and can't use deadly force than most of the LEO around here. Ask any of them you know when are all the situations that they can and can't use it. I bet you can name them all but he can't.

I been working Cresson for over 20 years. Where you at.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast