Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question Did you hunt near Punxsutawney? Did you know my grandfather?

So, out of left field, especially for a first post! My apologies in advance.

I'm looking for my grandfather's hunting buddies. My grandfather - William Sharpe - was part owner of a hunting camp near Punxsutawney PA. When I was 8 or 9, he'd take us there in the summer time to explore the woods, and practice our cub scout knots. The thought was that he'd pass along his love for the woods to his grandkids, as none of his kids seemed to take interest.

Unfortunately, he had an 8 bypass heart surgery done when I was only 10 or 11 years old. It took a lot out of him, and he was never able to hunt again, until he died in 2000.

He did teach us to shoot, at the state gamelands in Wexford, but when he died, my mother, the executor of his will, gave his guns to his hunting buddies instead of hanging onto them for us.

Without a hunting influence, the desire to go in the woods left, until recently when I started hunting with my soon to be brother in law. I tried to follow up with my Mom and see if I could track down his friends, but the only name I knew was Date Bell, and he passed on before my grandfather did.

SO, long story short, I'm hoping I could reconnect with his hunting buddies here on the site. Stranger things have happened right? I'm interested in reconnecting with his friends and hearing stories about him in the woods and finding his guns - they may have been passed on to a new shooter, or used as a camp gun, but I'm holding out hope. He had:

Savage Arms .270 bolt action rifle
    Marlin .22 bolt action rifle
    Unknown Make double barrel shotgun

If you knew William (Bill) Sharpe or Date Bell, I'd appreciate getting in touch with you!

Thanks in advance!!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Did you hunt near Punxsutawney? Did you know my grandfather?

No I don't know these guys but good luck in the search.

(Butler County)

this is freakishly close to a post i was debating on posting. my grandfather was Ronaldo Primo Gaggini. He went by Ron or Primo. He had quad bypass that took a toll on him. When he died, his live in girlfriend(long story i dont want to get into) Pat Tighe, gave away pretty much all of his personal items that should have been passed to his daughters and grandchildren. Anyone know him? I dont really want any of his guns(i do, but its a long shot) I would just love to hear some old stories. He was a huge hunter and outdoors-man. I'm doubting anyone on here would know him but its worth a shot.

is there a different posting category i should be posting in? and sorry for hijacking your post.

(Somerset County)

I don't recognize the names (either poster), but I've got a buddy that grew up in Punxsy. When would Sharpe have had the camp, and any idea where it was?

The more info I can give him, the better.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

The main owner of the land that they hunted on was Datus (Date) Bell. He lived there full time. I think I've got a lead on kids of his named Sydney and James Bell in nearby towns (Curwensville).

The actual town was Mahaffey, PA.

They had bought and were restoring the camp, and my grandfather was the main money backer for the project. I know that part of his will forgave whatever debt they had. He died in 2000, so the camp would have been active at least from the mid 80's to hopefully a few years after or its even still going.

The thing was that I never got to meet any of his hunting buddies so I don't know much other than the fact that he had his own spot to sit called "Sharpe's Rock" and one of the guys liked to make his own wine, as my grandfather always had big jugs of them at home. I also remember him telling me that his rifle made a distinct noise, so all the other hunters knew when he had taken a deer. That could have been embellishment on his part though ...

Thanks all for your interest!
    Last edited by merklitl; October 2nd, 2010 at 04:29 PM.

(Somerset County)

Mahaffey is quite a ways from Punxsy plus my buddy was in DuBois by the 80's so he's probably no help.

I'll check anyhow as he worked for the telephone company and was all over the county. I've got a friend that works for PennDot, I shot him an email too.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, its about 15 miles away, but Punxy is more recognizable to people than Mahaffey...plus having lived in St. Marys for 5 years, I realize that 15 miles is just "the next town over" in that area of the state

Thanks again for your help!