Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Armed guards and PA Act 235

Recently, I read in the newspaper that gas companies were employing armed guards. Do these armed guards need PA Act 235 certification to indeed be "armed guards" ? Can I as a property owner refuse to allow an armed guard to be on my property and must he leave if I ask him to?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Armed guards and PA Act 235

IANAL

In my limited understanding:
    • To carry a firearm as part of your job, in PA, you must at minimum be ACT 235 certified.
    • If, you, as a property owner, choose to post a sign that says "No firearms Alllowed" no one, short of an LEO, has the right to carry a firearm on your property.

Remember I am not a lawyer and there are many others, much more well versed in these matters, on this forum.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. William James

Well, the utility company's have a legal right of way to access and protect their "Property." When you bought your home,house, property, you were notified of any existing utilities and their right of way which just happens to be surrounded by "your property."

I think you would be hard pressed to remove an armed guard or restrict their employment with no tresspassing or no weapons allowed signage.

CL

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    Recently, I read in the newspaper that gas companies were employing armed guards. Do these armed guards need PA Act 235 certification to indeed be "armed guards" ? Can I as a property owner refuse to allow an armed guard to be on my property and must he leave if I ask him to?
    Yes, they would need LWTA Certification (Act 235). I have provided, through my Security Agency, Security/Protection Services for a Gas Company. However, the stir here of late is that Cabot, not a real popular Gas Company right now, was having armed guards protect employees as the entered properties to do water testing. http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...mock+residents

That said, as far as "allowing" them on your property armed, I think you will find, if you entered into a lease agreement with them, you already said they could. Perhaps not in so many words, but if the lease agreement did not state that they could not, then they can If you have not entered into an lease agreement with a company, then no one should be entering your property, period.

Be safe (and territorial, unless you are leased, then you are just rich ).

Scott