Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Westmoreland County)

Default Small Game Hunting - Rifle or Shotgun?

I have a 12 year old son that wants to start hunting. I thought about starting him on some squirrel hunting w/ a shotgun. I'm not really much of a hunter myself. Would he be better off hunting squirrel w/ a shotgun or rifle? I envision walking thru the woods w/ him and taking squirrels on the move w/ a shotgun as compared to sitting by a tree patiently to take them w/ a .22 rifle. Seeing that he's young, sitting still is a little tougher.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Small Game Hunting - Rifle or Shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have a 12 year old son that wants to start hunting. I thought about starting him on some squirrel hunting w/ a shotgun. I'm not really much of a hunter myself. Would he be better off hunting squirrel w/ a shotgun or rifle? I envision walking thru the woods w/ him and taking squirrels on the move w/ a shotgun as compared to sitting by a tree patiently to take them w/ a .22 rifle. Seeing that he's young, sitting still is a little tougher.
    I don't suggest walking threw the woods shooting squirrels at random might work at first but they can grow smart as the season progresses. I would suggest stalking them what this does it sharpens the stalking skills used for other bigger animals.You can use 22lr or shotgun it doesn't matter. Just remember any shots in the air with 22lr you are responsible for the 1-2 miles that thing travels on a miss. Shot guns 100 yards maybe.

(Lancaster County)

Start him off with a pump 12 ga. ( mossberg or 870 type ). Id say a 22lr would be great for squirrels but going with a 12 ga you can move to larger game with it. Just change the type of shell and you can hunt squirrels all the way up to bears with the same gun.
    No longer posting

(Schuylkill County)

My personal opinion is a youth model .20 guage. When I first started, I tried a few different things, including a .22 rifle. I'm a rifle guy, and I normally enjoy them more than any other firearm.. but I found that when hunting small game, my favorite firearm was my .20ga youth Mossberg my parents got me for Christmas. It's just big enough to take down a bird/squirrel/anything else in small game, but it's small enough for a younger kid.

I'll be quite honest with you, many times I'll still use my .20ga for small game. Even though it's a youth model and it's a bit small for me now, I actually prefer it because I can swing it easier, and it doesn't completely destroy smaller game like the 12ga does many times.

JMO.
    III%

I'm on board with the 20 ga. Get him a Rossi or something that can interchange barrels, a lot of times you can find deals where you get a .22 & 20 ga. included. It's a cheap firearm so you won't cringe when he drops it in the mud or a creek.

(Somerset County)

Some say the Rossi kicks hard but my son hasn't complained about his. Of course we don't shoot 3 inch shells in it either. He's used it to bag several squirrels. His is a 20 gauge/223 switch barrel set with a youth stock.

Right now, I working on a extension block to lengthen the stock so it fits him better.

Dale