Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: Small Game Hunting - Rifle or Shotgun?

Well we spent the day at the range with his Grandfathers Winchester ranger youth 20ga. It didn't go so well. After about 8 shells, he was done, done done. I had given him a recoil pad for his shoulder and it didn't take enough bite out of it for him. Looks like we will be tree rat hunting with ground shots only with a .22LR. On the plus side, his shot placement with my open sighted .22 was great! He had every thing in a silver dollor at 25 yards (15 rounds). His Grand dad was super impressed with his open sights shooting. I don't have any scopes, so when he shoots weekly with me, it's all open sights. His Grand dad had him using a scoped .22. Not any more! I told his Grand dad that I wanted him to learn the basics of shooting first and then we can move up to a scoped rifle for hunting. Basics first! He has less than 10 trips to the range. Super proud of my 10 year old. We will try the 20ga next year, when he has some more meat on his bones.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Small Game Hunting - Rifle or Shotgun?

get him a rossi trifecta it has a 243 barral 20 ga and 22lr so u have everything u need right there

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Small Game Hunting - Rifle or Shotgun?

You should start the youth with a 20G, they usually have 60% of the recoil of a 12G, which can scare begining shooters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123