Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: Small Game Hunting - Rifle or Shotgun?

Zipper method...

Dunk the squirrel in water, then pick off the hairs from between the tail and anus. Take your knife and cut straight through, severing the tail bone, but not through the skin on its back. Step on the tail and grab the legs, slowly pull up... The skin will peel right off, no hair on the meat, or very little. Use a pair of kitchen shears to cut off the front legs at the elbows and the knife to cut off the head... Only thing left to do is carefully clean the little bit of skin on the hind legs...

Takes seconds once you get the hang of it... Gutting them is much easier then since the hard to reach parts aren't connected to anything anymore... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Cambria County)

Thanks for the advise, I hope to put it to use soon.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Monroe County)

Get him what he likes, since he likes the .22lr and likes to target shoot get him that, do not get him a gun that he doesnt like or have no interest in, remember with kids you have to maintain the interest then go from there.
    Have him shoot his grandpa 20ga. if he likes it then go ahead and get him "his" own 20 ga.

I looked at the Mossberg 20 ga. youth model for my son, its a nice gun that is well proportioned for a youngster and at5 just a little over $200.

Nyman

(Cambria County)

The .22LR would get the most use. I will talk to his Grandfather this week and see if he is willing to let my son use his 20ga for a couple of weeks for bushy tail hunting. I just saw that the Marlin .22 that I was looking at, went on sale this week, might be a sign to buy. I will let you guys know what happens. Either way I'm going hunting with my son! That is something that I never did with my dad or Grand dad.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Cambria County)

Chazman 321, I did a search on youtube and found the zipper method, looks very simple and effective. There were several different methods but yours looks to be the best. Thanks again.

(Bucks County)

20 gauge 870 youth, they are cheaper than 300 bucks.

i still have mine.

you can shoot dove too.

(Cambria County)

Hey den9, thanks for the words of advise, I'm headed out to the store in the morning, to see if they have any more of those Marlins lefts. I'm going with the
    .22lr first since that is what he will use the most, Plus I then have an excuse to buy a 20ga pump. I have only bought 2 guns in the last 15 years. One was a wedding present to myself and the other I bought this last winter. It was a new carry piece.
    Come to think of it, I have with little, to no prior thought, put myself in a postition to purchase two guns in 10 months, and now 3 guns in 18 months. That is better than the last decade and a half! Times have been tight and I have put myself on the back burner for a long time. Now I find out that there are benefits to having kids! Who knew? Now I have to get them into Deer hunting, Trap, Long range target..... Hand gun courses!!!!!!!! Droollll! The wife is cunning, I should sign off before she sees what I'm up to.

(Beaver County)

Buy him and her a .22 and make it a family fun thing, you will thank yourself. A lot of us have done this very thing. Any more ?? just ask. A family that shoots together stays together. Mtn Jack with four girls and 4 state records.
    In a world of compromise some men dont.

(Cambria County)

Doh, the sale ended the day before. Most of their sales run from Sunday to Thursday, I went on Wed. I now need to keep an eye on the sales again. It also gives me a chance to save up some more money, so I can buy something nicer!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

A lot of the choice will depend on the size and physique of the youngster.

I inherited a 20ga single shot which my children and grandchildren used in preference to the .410. Auntie shot her squirrels with it in 1920 and it still does just fine now.

Single shot makes for better shots, knowing that each one is a one-time opportunity. Although the 20 ga Youth model 870 for sale on the site a week ago had promise.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast