Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default A warning about the Ruger LCP

My wife carries an LCP as her primary so she practices it every time she goes to the range. To date, she probably put over 1000 rounds through it. On the last trip to the range, her mag keeps getting ejected after every round. I tried it and the same thing happened.

It has never happened before until now and only happens with the extended mag. My guess is that that the grip has been putting pressure downward on the mag extension and the recoil is powerful enough to "shake" a weakened mag release. Since there's is no downward pressure on the flat-bottomed mag, this problem does not occur when using them.

Note also that this is a recalled LCP. I have my own LCP, which is post-recall. We did a quick (blind) mag release pressure test and both agreed that the mag release is more stiff on the much lesser shot post-recall.

A quick search showed that this problem occurs earlier on for some LCP owners.

Anyway, given that .380 has been rather expensive and the LCP isn't a pleasant plinker toy, I'm guessing that many owners may not have reached the 1000+ count yet. Even though there is a possibility that this problem is isolated to just my wife's gun, I just wanted to give LCP owners a heads up. I'd even recommend not carrying with an extended mag if your grip puts downward pressure on the extension.

In the mean time, I'll do some further testing and will contact Ruger afterward to see if they can do anything about it....like replacing the mag release spring to a stronger one.

Al

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: A warning about the Ruger LCP

Thanks for the heads-up, AL! I have a post recall LCP myself, but no where near the 1000 rd. count yet. I'll stay tuned for Ruger's reply to the problem.

(Bucks County)

It's also a good idea to not slam the magazine home. Being a polymer mag catch, wear would definitely be accelerated. The Kel-Tec folks recommend a kinder more gentler mag change, at least when just practicing.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Lebanon County)

If you remove the mag base and sand the side down that pressed against the mag well. Problem stops. (they have plenty of material there.)
    fred

(Franklin County)

My P3AT had one mag that was hard to seat out of the box, but it was from a little extra plastic on the bag base... Since my keltec is only for deep carry and NOT fun to shoot, i've only put 350-400 rounds through my to break in/reliability test.

In fact i've not carried it all summer so i will put another 100 through it before it gets put back into rotation.

From what i've heard these little pocket guns just don't have the life of a full sized. My fathers Beretta Tomcat is a better shooting gun than my keltec, and better built, but I bet it still only has a few thousand round life span... just my guess.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ffoltz View Post
    If you remove the mag base and sand the side down that pressed against the mag well. Problem stops. (they have plenty of material there.)
    fred
    I'm very hesitant to modify anything as a work around. Chances are it will happen again. I think sending it back to Ruger for a look and repair would probably be the best thing to do.

Al

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    It's also a good idea to not slam the magazine home. Being a polymer mag catch, wear would definitely be accelerated. The Kel-Tec folks recommend a kinder more gentler mag change, at least when just practicing.
    The LCP has polymer on the 'ramp' (install direction of the mag), and a metal insert in the mag catch that engauges the magazine. (one of the reasons I liked the LCP over the Keltec) I did not like how the mag and the ramp interacted with each other on mag insertion (hard to insert the mag without slamming with your palm), so I made a slight change to the angle of the mag where it first touches the ramp of the mag release.

The cut on the mag below the feed lips has a rounded taper and was actually pushing the mag release ramp on the side of the ramp, so I squared off this cut so the mag would ride up the ramp squarely. This makes for a nicer/smoother feel to the mag insertion and I believe, less wear in the long run on the mag release.

I dont' think this would help you out AL, just thought I would share my findings.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Monroe County)

wow i was just looking at a ruger LCP,when i asked to see the .380 kel-tec the guy at the gun store said if i were you i would go with the ruger! for a few more dollars you could get better fit and finish! so i held both and compaired ,he was right! i thought but after reading this i think i will go with my first choice (the kel-tec p3at) and use the hundred to buy some .380 ammo,I have never had a FTF or FTE with my PF9 kel-tec so the P3AT is back on my list for the tiny pocklet pistol.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by freddy g View Post
    wow i was just looking at a ruger LCP,when i asked to see the .380 kel-tec the guy at the gun store said if i were you i would go with the ruger! for a few more dollars you could get better fit and finish! so i held both and compaired ,he was right! i thought but after reading this i think i will go with my first choice (the kel-tec p3at) and use the hundred to buy some .380 ammo,I have never had a FTF or FTE with my PF9 kel-tec so the P3AT is back on my list for the tiny pocklet pistol.
    Even with this problem, I'd pick the LCP over the P3AT any day. I know 3 people with the P3AT that say their gun will eject the mag while being carried. The mag ejector spring is weak and easily bumped according to them. I'd venture to guess that at 1000+ rounds, you'd experience the same with the P3AT using an extended mag. Then again, as said, it could be an isolated problem with this particular recalled LCP and it does not happen with a flat-bottomed mag.

Al

(Allegheny County)

I find that I can either "slam" the magazine in or just press the release button and easily push it in. Given what you are saying, I think I will taking the gentler route. Since I can only shoot 25 rounds or so at the range because I don't really like shooting my LCP (it's defense not pleasure) and because 1000 rounds is pretty expensive shooting with .380 at about $20 a box of 50, I may never get to that count.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast