Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Glock 30 or S&W .357 sig compact

I know 2 different guns? I know 2 different calibers? any thoughts on which would be better for conceal and carry

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock 30 or S&W .357 sig compact

Quote Originally Posted by jstanding View Post
    I know 2 different guns? I know 2 different calibers? any thoughts on which would be better for conceal and carry
    Which can you shoot better?

Sounds like we have an answer.

(Venango County)

The problem here, ask ten different people, get ten different answers.

For me, my concealment piece is a taurus pt140. However, I OC my 1911.

Have you fired both guns? Have you felt which fits better in your hand? Have you tried to conceal them before thinking of buying them? My build makes it easier to conceal smaller firearms without as much printing. Is printing an issue for you? Is price a contributing factor for either the weapon, or the ammo?

We need a little bit more to work with here. It would be like asking "What rifle should I buy for hunting?" without stating what you are hunting, or what ranges you would be shooting at.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Centre County)

Can't really tell you much about the Smith. But the first pistol I bought was the Glock 30 about 5 years ago and its still my CCW gun of choice. Power, capacity, and accuracy, in a very compact package. Massad Ayoob wrote an article on it about 12 years ago when it came out, and he loved it so much he bought the test gun. That was a good enough testimonial for me.

The gun is a little thick, and some people that I've let fire it complain about the grip circumference being too big. Admittedly, it feels kinda like a 2x4 in your hand until you get used to it. Also, because it is so thick, you MUST get a kydex IWB holster or a belly band for it. I used a cheap Uncle Mikes nylon holster as an IWB for a while, and it made the gun twice as thick, so it was impractical for carry. Once I got my Predator kydex, it was a dream to carry and present quickly.

I put Meprolite tritium sights on mine. I like the three dot sight pattern better than the Glock u-notch rear. Plus they are made of metal instead of plastic. The tritium is just an added bonus for low light shooting.

Pierce grip extensions are a good replacement piece for the stock magazine floor-plate. They don't add any capacity, but just makes placement of your little finger more ergonomic. I got one for the mag I keep in the gun, and need to get a couple more for my reload mags.

Hope these comments were helpful. I like my Glock. Would have rather gotten an HK USPc in .45, but couldn't justify the extra $200.

(Berks County)

What LongBow said. I picked up a (barely) used 30SF from Cabelas the other month. I prefer it over my G26 and G27. It shoots very smooth. It's my first .45 too.

The 30SF is the 'slim frame' frame version. Glock removed 3mm off the backstrap. I like the 30 grip as I have big hands, but the neat thing is, it's hard to tell the difference between the G26/27 grip and 30SF grip. I see that as a plus for consistency. Now, the slide is quite a bit thicker!

Always been a S&W fan, even back before the 20th century the reputation was colts were built like a brick shit house, S&Ws like a watch. Also the 357 sig is a great round. But bottom line is which can you hit what your shooting at with. Had a buddy that always carried a colt 1911, why? because that is what he shot best.