Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Went to Redding's Hardware Today, Didn't Leave Empty Handed... (Impulse Buy Content)

I've heard good things about the selection at this place, so I decided to check it out. (It's in Gettysburg for those of you who don't know. About 35 minutes from me.)

I opened the door to place and was simply blown away. There are guns absolutely everywhere. Hanging from the ceiling. It's like they ran out of room and just started hanging stuff everywhere. I was in heaven. It IS just like an old hardware store. A women came in looking for S hooks and nails while I was there. Crazy.

For some reason I've been having a serious hankering for a Kel Tec lately. I dunno what it is, I've owned a few and they've never been anything but good to me. I missed out on a CHEAP P11 in the classifieds the other day and have been looking for another. I had one for a little and with a little work the "poor" trigger can be made acceptable. Maybe not great, but ok.

I browsed the shop for a while, looking at tons of guns. I was pretty much sold on a P11 with a hard chrome slide they had, but I realized it was a bit out of my price range at the moment. Not unfairly priced, mind you, but new, not used. I shuffled around for a bit and found a used P3AT for $165. "I'll take it." Well, evidently the gun gods had other plans for me. I filled out the paper work, got some .380, picked out a pocket holster... And then PICS was down. "SHit." Well this gave me time to think. I don't really need a P3AT. I don't really want a P3AT. PICS didn't come back up and I decided to scratch the sale. They were cool about it and let me put the P11 on lay away. I'll go get it in a day or two when I can scrounge up another $40.

Moral of the story? I'm an idiot, and will buy shit just because I have cash in my pocket. Also, if you're local, check out Redding Hardware. I know someone (a member here) had an issue a while back with them insisting he put his SSN on his paperwork... Disregarding that, it was a great place. I really don't know the particulars...

ETA; I put this in pistols for a reason and totally forgot to mention it. P11 vs PF9, aside from the triggers, who's got opinions?

ETA again; I bought a bunch of Critical Defense in 9mm while I was there. And some .38 special. I didn't leave empty handed.
    Last edited by rwb1500; September 30th, 2010 at 01:34 AM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Went to Redding's Hardware Today, Didn't Leave Empty Handed... (Impulse Buy Conte

I wish we had places like that out here in the Northeast area, i love places like that.

While you were there did you noticed any used Revolvers in the Used Gun section, assuming they have a used gun section.>?

I'm on a used revolver collection kick for the past year or so.

Nyman

(Perry County)

Default Re: Went to Redding's Hardware Today, Didn't Leave Empty Handed... (Impulse Buy Conte

Redding Hardware has a really nice selection, guns as well as ammo. They can be a bit pricey at times but as I said before, they do have a serious selection. I need to get back up there again soon just to take a look around.

(Berks County)

Im sure you have come across it in your research but I chose the pf9 for several reasons.

-Thinner than the p11
    -Lighter than the p11
    -Lighter trigger pull than the p11
    -HOWEVER, the p11 will take S&W high cap mags from what I hear. So if capacity is your number one concern look into this
    -Im fairly skinny, 6'3 190lbs and wear my pants snug on the waist. For me, the p11 would have required a new wardrobe to IWB carry.

All in all. I couldn't be happier with my pf9. In fact, I just picked up a full sized 1911, wore it for two days, switched back to the pf9 : )

The 1911 will be my winter carry piece but NOTHING can beat these subcompact pistols Kel Tec is cranking out. On price, service, and deep concealment.

I used to live 7 miles from Redding's & there are a few rifles & a handgun in my safe that came from there. In fact, I think all of the firearms I bought for my son, when he was younger, came from there. I haven't been there in about 10 years. Maybe I'm due for a visit. (Or......... Maybe I should stay away.)
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

[quote=rwb1500;1352183]

Moral of the story? I'm an idiot, and will buy shit just because I have cash in my pocket.

Well, add me to the idiot club then!

Maybe worse, because I've been known to buy stuff even if I don't have cash in my pocket!

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    I wish we had places like that out here in the Northeast area, i love places like that.

While you were there did you noticed any used Revolvers in the Used Gun section, assuming they have a used gun section.>?

I'm on a used revolver collection kick for the past year or so.

Nyman
    Lots of used everything. Some Model 10s, a 637, a 642, a couple Rugers, single and Double action, S&W 500, .460, you name it.

They have Kel Tec, Kahr, RIA, RRA, Kimber, Springfield, Glock, S&W, Ruger, Mossberg, Remington, SCARs, those MSAR bullpup deals, SKS, AKs, ARs... Pretty much anything you could want.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Maybe I'm due for a visit. (Or......... Maybe I should stay away.)
    If you don't want a new gun definitely stay away. It was damn near impossible for me to get out the door without something, anything. It was bad. I thought about buying a $100 Mosin while I was there as well. It's a very, very bad place. I don't even want a Mosin, at all.

(Monroe County)

Model 10's hhhmmm, Yummy , Must make the trip out there. ! ,

Nyman

(Perry County)

Where in Gettysburg is this place? I foresee a road trip in my future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast