Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Replaced the rebound spring in my S&W K frame

I recently purchased a S&W 617 .22 revolver. Personally, I think the gun is really nice, but there were a few shortcomings that I am slowly working on correcting.

One that I found most pressing was the very heavy double action trigger. A lot of people chalk this up to the main spring but I didn't want to loosen the screw that holds the tension on the main spring due to the unreliability of .22 primers.

Instead, I opted to replace the rebound slide spring. I went with Wolf springs. I recommend Wolf strongly (and they are a PA based company - which means shipping is very fast).

I bought an 11 lb spring as well as a variety pack containing 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 lb springs.

I disassembled the gun and replaced the main spring (which would have been a lot easier with the tool for removing the rebound slide) with the 11 lb spring. Upon reassembly the cam arm piece that the main spring hooks onto slipped off. I'm used to the older models with the pin holding it in place. The newer ones do not have this. Fortunately, it only fits on one way correctly. This was a minor set back.

I put the grips back on (still waiting for my grips from Optics Planet - Round to Square butt rosewood grips) and pulled the trigger. The trigger pull was noticeably lighter and the main spring was still screwed down all of the way.

However, there was one unintended and unpredicted side effect of the rebound slide spring being changed - the trigger reset was dramatically changed. It resets much slower and a little gritty feeling (which may just be because the gun is new and the parts haven't smoothed from rubbing against each other).

When my new grips arrive, I will probably replace the rebound slide spring again with the 13 lb spring and maybe look into removing/disabling the lock (this is a range gun, not a carry gun).

So if you plan on replacing the spring, I cannot suggest going with the 11 lb spring (18 lbs is stock on K and L frames) but I can suggest going through Wolf to obtain your spring.

-Zach

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Replaced the rebound spring in my S&W K frame

I usually start with the lightest of springs in the kit and go from there. I've changed quite a few of them over the years and never had the resultant grittiness you describe. I suspect it will smooth out over time, but the other thing I always do while I have it apart is lightly stone the rebound slide. Try polishing the bottom with a fine stone, and put a slight radius on the back edge. Also take a look for unusual wear marks. I had one that felt all wrong when I reassembled it; it seems one of the pins (in the hammer or trigger, I forget which) had backed out slightly and was rubbing against the frame.
    Good luck.