Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia LTCF question

Hello everyone,
    I've just moved back to Philly! I've been shooting for a long time (and I'm an NRA certified pistol instructor) and I would like to finally get a LTCF.

My question is: the Application asks for your employer and employer's address. However, I am currently unemployed.

What should I put in that section?

I am also taking a few classes; should I put down my school info as employer and occupation as 'student'?

I really just don't want the application to be denied for something minor like this. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF question

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I've just moved back to Philly! I've been shooting for a long time (and I'm an NRA certified pistol instructor) and I would like to finally get a LTCF.

My question is: the Application asks for your employer and employer's address. However, I am currently unemployed.

I am also taking a few classes; should I put down my school info as employer and occupation as 'student'?

I really just don't want the application to be denied for something minor like this. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
    Welcome to the Forum!!

I would leave it blank or write unemployed.

Legally you should not have any issue obtaining your LTCF (not a disqualifing issue); however, Philadelphia illegally makes their own rules when it comes to granting or denying you license. They are more like a may issue city

Good luck to ya and hope ya stick around!
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

I would definitely fill it in with either student or unemployed...but do not leave it blank

Hello everyone,

When I got my first LTCF in Philadelphia, I was an unemployed student. I left the employer address blank and wrote "student" in the occupation block. I had no trouble being approved for an LTCF.

Question Re: Philadelphia LTCF question

I was told by the Centre county sheriff's office that my non resident PA pistol permit was ok to be used to carry in the city of Philadelphia, with no problems when I ask them about it.? So what's the scoop is it ok to CC in that city or not?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by REDTAIL View Post
    I was told by the Centre county sheriff's office that my non resident PA pistol permit was ok to be used to carry in the city of Philadelphia, with no problems when I ask them about it.? So what's the scoop is it ok to CC in that city or not?
    An PA LTCF issued by Centre county or any other county in PA is valid is Philadelphia.

(Philadelphia County)

Hello everyone,

If you are an NRA pistol instructor why not just apply for a Florida CCW and avoid all the headaches of Philadelphia. Florida CCW is honored in PA regardless of where the permit holder resides. if you need assistance applying for a florida CCW I will be glad to help another NRA Instructor

gbrown221
    NRA Instructor, CRSO
    Utah CFP Instructor
    info@team-lilfe.org
    www.team-life.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    If you are an NRA pistol instructor why not just apply for a Florida CCW and avoid all the headaches of Philadelphia. Florida CCW is honored in PA regardless of where the permit holder resides. if you need assistance applying for a florida CCW I will be glad to help another NRA Instructor
    There's one thing a Florida Concealed Weapons License alone doesn't give you in Pennsylvania (or in any other state that has reciprocity with Florida), and that's coverage under the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act:

18 U.S.C. § 922 (q) (2)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm -

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is -

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is
    on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
    Although it's unlikely that you would ever be prosecuted for possession of a firearm within a school zone and possession of only a reciprocal state's license, it's to your advantage to have both a PA LTCF and a Florida CWL or Utah CWP (for reciprocity with Delaware and Ohio.)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    There's one thing a Florida Concealed Weapons License alone doesn't give you in Pennsylvania (or in any other state that has reciprocity with Florida), and that's coverage under the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act:
    Thats a very good point I never thought of.
    Tim

Thumbs up Re: Philadelphia LTCF question

Thanks a lot regards REDTAIL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast