Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops. too hot?

Default Oops. too hot?

I loaded some 9mm, with universal at 4.4grn and OAL of 1.082, book said max at 4.5grn min oal at 1.10

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Oops. too hot?

So your just worried about the 18 thousandths difference? I'm assuming the book you have has data for the exact powder and bullet you are using? OAL's will vary wildly from one brand bullet to another. When in doubt, call the manufacturer of the bullet.

thanks. I'll try it tonite at pag.

(Columbia County)

I'm with baconfat on this one. You're still under max load and only 18 thousandths under. I've loaded the OAL too low a few times and came here to ask about it... and eventually fired them with no problems.

(Somerset County)

If you started at 4.4 gr then you may be too hot for YOUR gun. If you started lower and worked up so that you know 4.4 is OK then you should be good to go.

Dale

shot em tonite, no problems, beside a few Double Feed, probably b/c too short. i'll move to OAL to 1.15 next time.

thanks everyone.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    shot em tonite, no problems, beside a few Double Feed, probably b/c too short. i'll move to OAL to 1.15 next time.

thanks everyone.
    Just make sure they'll fit in your magazine. I once did that with 45s when I was first starting. I made 100 of them that were all too long to fit in the magazine. It wasn't too big of a deal. I just had to go back and reseat them all, but it was frustrating when I went to the range and found that out. I had made sure they fit in the chamber fine - which they did. In fact, they fired perfectly... if I loaded them singly.

What size bullet are you using? I use Precision Delta 115 gr FMJ that i seat to 1.110" with very good results. I use 4.2 gr Bullseye.

I'm actually shooting a gen4 g22 with a wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. the gen4 glock seem to like hotter load cause of the new recoil spring. I've been loading 4.0-4.2 grns of universal, OAL of 1.12 with frontier 115grn copper plated. this load was to light to cycle the slide on the glock. it worked perfectly (even at 3.8grn) for my cz, bretta, and sig.

anyone load hotter then the max load in the book?

(Delaware County)

Dunsho,
    For what possible reason would it be worth it to load hotter than MAX loads listed in your reloading manuals?
    You could keep progressivly loading higher and higher, videoing the actual firing shot from a remote stand until the gun blew up if you were trying to create an interesting video for utube.
    Aside from all the reloading reference books who charted and testing their work in a lab, I see no reason to expand beyond their danger max loads.

I would not want casual readers to think they can go beyond max loads without danger to their lives.

If a gun does not function correctly on max loads? Get it fixed.

Need more power?
    Get a bigger caliber gun.

I'm actually shooting a gen4 g22 with a wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. the gen4 glock seem to like hotter load cause of the new recoil spring. I've been loading 4.0-4.2 grns of universal, OAL of 1.12 with frontier 115grn copper plated. this load was to light to cycle the slide on the glock. it worked perfectly (even at 3.8grn) for my cz, bretta, and sig.

(Columbia County)

I thought I had already replied to this, but I guess I must not have hit 'submit.' Anyhow, check other load books. What is max load in one may not be in the other and you may not truly be as near to max load as you think you are. I load my 10mm carry loads past max listed in two books, but within the accepted limits of a third (I can't remember which books were which - actually, now that I think about it, the highest listed maximum load may have been the powder manufacture's data). I did, however, work up past the lower listed max loads 0.1 gr at a time, being very careful looking for signs of overpressure. If you're at max load and can't get it to work for you. Use a different powder, that may help out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast