Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Tobyhanna Range Closed For Repairs Until 10/1

I think I'll go up early and take a look, and I'll bring my camera. Maybe see someone at the pistol range...been itching to put a few rounds thru my MKII.
    Matt

(Monroe County)

In short, they didn't change much. They put new wood on the target holders (which is already getting shot up), they enlarged the berm between the pistol and rifle ranges and it seems like they're trying to grow grass on some parts of the berms to prevent erosion, which is a pretty stupid idea this time of year. The seed is covered with hay/straw, so hopefully some of it's still around when Spring comes. Other than that it looks basically the same.

As far as the wood getting destroyed goes, it's going to happen no matter what they do. The design itself makes it easy for people with poor aim to hit it once in a while. Sure, there are the intentional destroyers, but even without them it's going to happen. They're only 2x4s and are easily and cheaply replaced.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

They should just make people bring their own target frames. Then they wouldn't have to replace them.

(Monroe County)

if it's nice out, i'll be up there tomorrow afternoon. been itching to go shooting for weeks.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Monroe County)

I got up there probably about 17:00-17:30 ish, there were a couple people at the hangun range and a guy at the rifle range whose eotech was being a pain in the ass. I shot incredibly crappily with the rifle, and only marginally better with the handguns, btw (but kept all rounds on the paper nonetheless).

they have raised teh dividing wall some, as i can no longer see the targets on the other side, but i think the greatest improvement was adding rubber tops to the shooting benches-both on the tables and seats-which means no more worrying about trying not to scratch my stock on the concrete, and possibly less of a cold ass come wintertime.

Some kid and his grandfather showed up with a 357 snub (S&W, maybe, looked really lightweight, maybe 1.5" barrel), and the kid's shooting was painful to watch. i wanted to cry.

i was going to take pictures, but i got distracted taking pictures of my muzzle and cylinder flash and forgot until it was too dark to take good photos i discovered that the cylinder on my SP101 seems to only blast out one side.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Northampton County)

I asked about bringing my own target stands, i got a Big NO

why i don't know,, but its run by the state so it figures.
    all the complaining about target boards getting shot up is annoying. umm..guys, its a rifle range. if holes in a target get you mad, find a new hobby. yea the frames will also get it to, so what ?? i can't tell you how many of my own i made thru the years, its no big deal. and cost is minimal.

they should leave some there in a small storage thing or something.
    or let us bring our own.

i think also anyone can own whatever they want. from muzzle loader to MG.
    most of the anti MG types i always met where usually cheap -o's or just can't afford it, so they knock it. that also gets annoying. all i care about the guy next to me is that his muzzle is pointed at the target. other then that..
    have fun. be safe. o yea...and the 3 round rule is total B-SHT

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by BSOG60 View Post
    I asked about bringing my own target stands, i got a Big NO

why i don't know,, but its run by the state so it figures.
    all the complaining about target boards getting shot up is annoying. umm..guys, its a rifle range. if holes in a target get you mad, find a new hobby. yea the frames will also get it to, so what ?? i can't tell you how many of my own i made thru the years, its no big deal. and cost is minimal.

they should leave some there in a small storage thing or something.
    or let us bring our own.

i think also anyone can own whatever they want. from muzzle loader to MG.
    most of the anti MG types i always met where usually cheap -o's or just can't afford it, so they knock it. that also gets annoying. all i care about the guy next to me is that his muzzle is pointed at the target. other then that..
    have fun. be safe. o yea...and the 3 round rule is total B-SHT
    They don't allow you to bring your own for a reason... they would have pieces of scrap all over the place which would result in people getting hurt and lawsuits, not to mention the place would look like shit.

I don't know how many ways I can say this... the posts are Rarely shot off by accident or by a "stray round" they are done intentionally because people don't want to shoot paper, so they shoot the wood

The 3 round rule is a GOOD RULE! The ranges are free for everyone to use but they are BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by sportsmen and they are a place for hunters to sight in their rifles. Having someone on the line with a 100 round drum who is slow firing their AK for accuracy at 100 yards is a royal pain in the ass when you are trying to sight in a rifle and need to check your targets.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Luzerne County)

I agree, while a stray shot or two may hit one of the 2x4's if you can't hit the broad side of a barn........by far the most damage come from INTENTIONAL shooting of the 2x4's.

I don't mind the 3-round rule. I'm there to sight in a rifle, work on a load or just get some trigger time. I'm not there to do mag dumps.

(Northampton County)

OOO NO....
    the three round rule is like having sex with a busted rubber ! you may like to sit and zero the same rifle over and over on the bench. but for others that's Lame and gets old fast.

drums where made 100 rounds for a reason..lol. this is the exact attitude that keeps us all very seperated. i can care less if the guy next to me is slow firing his semi 1919 with a 500 round belt. if he is safe, im happy. i can easily get my zero work in that enviroment , to me its not a pain in the ass, its another American enjoying the same, with just more. soon you guys will say the same ol '' its a waste of ammo'' since your only using three rounds you will be done pretty quick anyway. and ill have 497 to go..LOL.

as for garbage...they should put a burn barrel ? a small dumpster ? i gladly pick up trash now wherever i am. im not bothered by it, and its something to do when the range is cold. but that will never happen. i don't go to state ranges anymore, my guns have been zeroed a long time ago. how many times can you zero the same rifle ??

im so glad for my buddies private land.

(Northampton County)

i bring my target stand where ever i go, beside the state ranges. and no one has ever been hurt by the tiny piece of plywood that falls off it once in a while when my round goes thru it , that's nonsense.

never had a lawsuit either. all i get is wow how did you make that ? can i get the dimensions ??

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast