Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Tobyhanna Range Closed For Repairs Until 10/1

Quote Originally Posted by craighmarshall View Post
    No, I have seen the idiots put 50 cal through steel vertical uprights at 50 yards, or use the cross brace for holding jugs, pumpkins etc... I still can not understand why anyone has to have a 50 cal? Go to a range and rent one for an hour, sure. Just don't get it.
    This type statement is what typically divides us gun owners, similar to when you hear locals talking about guns and they say: "I don't know why anybody needs a semi-auto rifle since you can't hunt with one".

Way too often we are separated and polarized by the different types of firearms avaliable for ownership, firearms that you can or can't use while hunting, 50 BMG, NFA, black powder, etc.

The only way that we can fight BS gun laws is to stick together, but that probably will not happen. Example: 86 machine gun ban, many don't care because they feel that their is no need for a MG, or since MGs are expensive they will never own one, or they use too much ammo but for people that own them, they are fun.

Consider motorcycle riders, they banded together for years to have the helmet law removed and they suceeded. Would I wear a helmet? Yes, I would but I would never have spoken out against repealing the helmet law, it's a personal choice. Do you see different subgroups of motorcyclist bickering, Harley owners, triumph owners, Indian owners, and saying why do you need an English bike when American iron is good enough? No you don't and that's why they got things done.

(Pike County)

When I say "I don't understand it", it is because I just don't understand WHY? I love a big gun as well as anybody, where it is a challenge and where it makes sense to shoot.
    I live in an area where most of the public ranges are 25/50/100 yards. What gratification or test does one get taking apart a back board at 50 yards? Hell, I have a hard time feeling good pushing my 270 or 308 out to 100yds. The BMG was developed to reach out in the yardage catagory. If there is a range say 250+ I would be giddy up to want to rent one and see what I can do with it.

The private ranges do have some yardage and you can bring yours or rent one which is great.

(Monroe County)

When I say "I don't understand it", it is because I just don't understand WHY? I love a big gun as well as anybody, where it is a challenge and where it makes sense to shoot.
    I live in an area where most of the public ranges are 25/50/100 yards. What gratification or test does one get taking apart a back board at 50 yards? Hell, I have a hard time feeling good pushing my 270 or 308 out to 100yds. The BMG was developed to reach out in the yardage catagory. If there is a range say 250+ I would be giddy up to want to rent one and see what I can do with it.

The private ranges do have some yardage and you can bring yours or rent one which is great.
    So you're against citizens owning 50 cal rifles, or against using them at private ranges where you don't feel the target yardage is adequate? You should clear that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

No, I am NOT AGAINST anyone in their right mind owning a gun, rifle or even a tank.

I do have two issues though when it comes to shooting a big gun.

1. Logistics for shooting such a gun
    Where I live (Eastern Pa), there are no Public Ranges that exceed 100yds
    I have watched guys come to the range, take a seat, and blast apart a 50yd backstop. Just don't get that. I'm just not seeing the rationale. If the range is say 250+, multi task targets, great gun and yea it can challenge my skills. The scope, windage, sight/location on target etc... I am not against it at all, that is what I want, the challenge.

The other issue is after they have destroyed the backboard, they pick up and leave. The board is destroyed to the point of laying on the ground or just dangling. There was no cleanup of the target area and now there is no board for the next guy who wants to shoot. That board can remain like that for days/weeks until the Parks Commission employees come to clean/repair. Where is the respect/courtousey to your fellow gun owners?

What really gets me though is the, "nothing is going to stop me from shooting" attitude. There is no backboard as it is littered on the ground. So, we take our targets and hang them on the steel uprights and horizontals. WTF?

2. The shear COST of owning/operating a 50 BMG or any other large scale. Between the costs of purchase, replacement ammo or even reloading, that can be very expensive, very fast. I am retired military so my disposable income may not be as deep as others and is a factor in mindset.

With ALL of that being said above. In the N/E, I do not see a reason for owning one unless I can really use it in an element that is conducive to shooting it. If I go to a range that has the yardage and where repair/maintainance is on a regular basis, or I can clean up my board, YES, that is a no brainer. I would rather go to a range that has the yardage as noted above, if able, rent one for an hour+ and get my thrill. Renting means a private/public for profit range, so as you can see I am not against them either.

Upon review of my statement, I guess what I am really against is the way "WE TREAT/RESPECT The Public Ranges". And to add, not just the big guns/shot guns etc..., but all who use the Public Range. Guess I have seen to much of a "lack of" syndrome.

(Monroe County)

Gotcha. I think everyone should be able to own rifles of such caliber, even if there is no local range to shoot them. There are alot of people out here with alot of property and they can shoot on their own land(as many of my friends do). Heck, even if you didn't have access to private land, or a range to shoot a 50 caliber rifle, you could always take a special trip a few times a year to a place where you can really let the round stretch its legs.

I agree that the cost of the gun and ammo itself is prohibitive for alot of people, but if it's what they want more power to them. For self defense purposes during a shtf situation you'd be hard pressed to beat a 50cal rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

I agree with you regarding the right to own a gun of any caliber. No Issues at all. And I agree if you have the resources, meaning the land to shoot, by all means let me break out the BAR. Oh, how I got wood everytime I worked that instrument of destruction.

But I guess my bitch is at the public range. Let's be honest, it only takes 15-20 rounds of 50 cal to tear the backboard apart. What about being able to take an G or BAR to the 50 yard range?

Ah Hell, I would be fine with it if they brought a backboard and hung it up after they were done shooting. I guess I couldn't bitch anymore.

(Monroe County)

I agree with you regarding the right to own a gun of any caliber. No Issues at all. And I agree if you have the resources, meaning the land to shoot, by all means let me break out the BAR. Oh, how I got wood everytime I worked that instrument of destruction.

But I guess my bitch is at the public range. Let's be honest, it only takes 15-20 rounds of 50 cal to tear the backboard apart. What about being able to take an G or BAR to the 50 yard range?

Ah Hell, I would be fine with it if they brought a backboard and hung it up after they were done shooting. I guess I couldn't bitch anymore.
    I have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about...

The back stops are like a flexible plastic. the .50 BMG isn't going to do shit to it except leave a hole. If you are hitting the support post enough to cut it off then you are doing it on purpose. plain and simple.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Pike County)

The backstops I see at the public ranges are 3/4" plywood which are glue and wood. A moderate supply of 1 - 1 1/2" holes with splintering from a 50 can indeed quickly dismantle a backstop.

(Pike County)

What about being able to take an G or BAR to the 50 yard range?
    Opps - That should have been an MG (machine gun) or BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle)

(Monroe County)

Where i come from all the ranges accomodate 50 BMG, heck on saturday afternoons they close the range at 5 pm and have .50 BMG shoot offs, lots of fun.

Its either you are for private gun ownership or youre not, its that simple, . The type of guns is inconsequential.

Nymaxc

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast